Home General Hunting

saltwater teal florida

noelg11892noelg11892 Posts: 293 Deckhand
Hey guys, in general is it worth it to scout and look for teal in saltwater? ive never seen em but I haven't been duck hunting that long so im far from an expert or even moderately knowledgeable. I'll definitely put in the time but I don't wanna look for em if there's no chance. and what kind of stuff would you look for to narrow it down a bit?

Replies

• ChillyChilly Posts: 556 Officer
    general answer. yes. look for isolated 'ponds' surrounded by grass.  the harder it is to get to, the more likely it can hold birds.  tides can be difficult to deal with. in my opinion. teal in my area are notorious for being shifty and can be hard to pattern.   shoot em when you find em, dont wait. 

CHEAP BAIT! Try our NE FL Bait Co-op: http://northeastfloridabaitcoop.com/

• hoggatorhoggator Posts: 449 Deckhand
    I see them in the middle & upper Keys all the time. 
  • MissedMissed O-townPosts: 532 Officer
    Yes.  Just make sure it is legal to hunt where you find em.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,401 AG
    better to pattern their flight routes than ponds, In my area they tend to fly two different routes MOL..

if they happen to be flying S/SE then being set upon one of those routes will produce..
    If they ain't flying then it's always a goose egg, with all the rain this year and plently of flooded pastures I'm thinking a bust.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.