Home General Fishing

What would your dream fishing trip be during the summer months?

brocktnormanbrocktnorman MiamiPosts: 9 Deckhand
I will be graduating high school this year and have been wanting to do a once in a lifetime fishing trip. ANY recommendations are valid, I want to know what YOU would do it you had the opportunity. I looked into Tropic Star, however they gave me an ungodly estimate for a 5 day trip there. Am considering Belize, but not sure how much I wanna keep catching bonefish and permit. Looked at amazon but seems like it is the wrong season. If you guys had the opportunity where would you go?? 

Replies

• smooth movesmooth move Posts: 528 Officer
    everyone is different. i would take a Florida coastline trip by car. start in the panhandle and fish my way down the west coast, around the glades, thru the Key West area and up the east coast to Jacksonville. could be done on a budget.
    le se' bon ton roulet
  • brocktnormanbrocktnorman MiamiPosts: 9 Deckhand
    everyone is different. i would take a Florida coastline trip by car. start in the panhandle and fish my way down the west coast, around the glades, thru the Key West area and up the east coast to Jacksonville. could be done on a budget.
    I agree a florida trip would be fun, however I already live here. I am thinking about a once in a lifetime kind of trip to somewhere remoteish.
  • gogittumgogittum SW New MexicoPosts: 2,239 Captain
    Leapfrog down the Amazon River and tributaries.  I've seen some wonderful docus of trips there.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 15,822 AG
    Personally a bahamas trip filled with wahoo, sailfish, tuna, and mahi would be the trip of a lifetime.  Some guys do this as their weekend entertainment.   But for me boating a 4-6' wahoo would be my lifetime trip.  Finish off with some grouper off the bottom and I'm good.  Probably some snorkeling for lobster mixed in there as well.   7 days 6 nights, fish all day, eat fish and drink all night with the family like we do in the keys.  
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
  • chunksterchunkster NYC NY - HOLLYWOOD FLPosts: 141 Deckhand
    The captains and crew members from the Viking Star Fleet, running
    a 17 day trip on the Excel to Soccorro. This would be the only way
    I’d book a long range trip from Fisherman’s 
    Landing in San Diego
    down the Baja to the Revillagigedo islands of the Revllagigedo
    archipelago. 
    I had dinner there.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 10,366 AG
    I have always wanted to go Halibut fishing in Alaska. Not crazy for Salmon. Summertime would be the only season for me to go there.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

I’m fortunate enough to be in good health.

• pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 4,891 Captain
    Multi day trip to Venice LA. Do a couple days chasing yft, a day sword fishing, and a day or more hammering the redfish inshore. It will be expensive unless you got buddies going, though. 
    I'd love to be able to buy out 10 spots on Yankee Capts, this is if I had the money to buy the spots plus tip on each spot as well.   Then have all the room I want for a Tortuga trip.   
  • poncedoradoponcedorado Posts: 593 Officer
    Costa Rica? book 1-2 days of nearshore for roosterfish, cuberas & such, maybe a day of sailfishing, then a 2 day seamount trip for blue marlin?

Summer is also marlin time in Bermuda. I believe that's more of a big-fish destination though rather than numbers, so it'd be very possible to not hook one even on multiple days of charters.

I would also love to do an Outer Banks, NC trip. I think in the summer they have a mix of tuna, dolphin, wahoo, and sails/blues/whites
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,289 Moderator
    A trip to Cap Cana, Dom. Rep with multiple shots a day for Blue Marlin, White Marlin and wahoo.

A trip to Homer AK for Halibut and salmon.  You can probably specify only Halibut.

A long range trip out of San Diego for Yellowfin and Pacific Yellowtail

A trip to the Great Barrier Reef for Black Marlin and loads of exotic reef fish
  • cortrcortr Posts: 423 Deckhand
    Agree with chunkster,  Venice Louisiana is hard to beat. You can fish inshore for reds, trout, flounder then head offshore for tuna and other pelagic species 
  • demersalangelerdemersalangeler SE FLORIDA Posts: 456 Deckhand
     A multi day in Maldives or the south sea in Asia to catch giant Ruby snapper, Dog tooth tuna, and 80kg Aj's. All on slow jig's!

A multiple day Deep Liner, or SFC class in Japan. 

Then there's the more reasonable that I may actually do.
     Like a over night out of Venice to the oil rigs to catch 150lb yellow fins on Jig's.

The cali boat that does the 18 day into mexico.

Or more multi days to places like Rankin, Pully, the Salt domes......

• conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 10,366 AG
    Lots of neat places mentioned but the OP said "summertime". The San Diego boats do not do the long trips in the summer due to hurricane season in the Eastern Pacific. They do, however, do shorter trips and the past few years have done well with Bluefin tuna. Yellowfin in Venice is a possibility but it is not the best season for them either.
    If I was going to spend big bucks on a trip, I would try and time it for when I had the best shot at my target species. 

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

edited September 15 #16
    Conchy, there are plenty of yft in Venice during the summer. They don't average as big, and you usually have to run farther to get your shots,  but still plenty there. Add in a day swording, and a day or so catching reds, and it's a pretty much once in a lifetime trip for most folks. If you are set on larger fish, later in the year is better. That's my experience anyway, with over 20 trips out there, including 3-4 week to 10 day trips. 
  • rock_fishrock_fish Posts: 12,114 AG
    Bottom fishing Alaska. This will happen for me in 2023.

Kayak fishing off the beach in Panama. YouTube it.
    Proud supporter of the anti fishing, terroristic (lol what?) movement known as Greenpeace.
    rock_fish said:

I hear kayak fishing off of Hawaii is pretty incredible too.    I can't imagine catching Mahi or Wahoo from a kayak.   
  • restlessnativerestlessnative Posts: 2,689 Captain
    I am blessed in that I have fished pretty much everywhere from Florida to Guatemala including but not limited to Bahamas, T&C, DR, USVI & BVI, Venezuela, most of all of Central America, Mexico (both coasts), Venice, LA and back to Florida. Of course I did it working as a mate on private boats with heavy travel schedules. Have also done 2 surf trips to the South Pacific with some fishing & spearing thrown in.

That would leave me with Madeira, Cape Verde, Azores or one of my 2 all time bucket list trips, Great Barrier (hey it is summer time for the season) and Ascension Island.

There has been some good suggestions above that would be doable though, but have no idea what your budget is or how many people you are going to have. It is a LOT easier/more affordable doing it as a small group than flying solo.
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,874 AG
    I want to tarpon fish on the west coast of Africa....

....some day.
    rock_fish said:

I hear kayak fishing off of Hawaii is pretty incredible too.    I can't imagine catching Mahi or Wahoo from a kayak.   
    There was a series on TV a couple or few years ago about a group of kayak-ers in Hawaii.  Pretty cool and they caught some great fish....but I think our guys here in FL are close to matching them.
  • tankeredtankered Gainesvill, FlPosts: 1,088 Officer
    In summer?

Another vote for Alaska.

At the age of 13 I fished on a panga in Peru.
    I’m 14 standing on the Key West bridge at the KOA.
    That first name is translated as scrapper. ;)

• Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,630 Captain
    Somewhere in the Rockies fly fishing for trout.
  • Blazeman2Blazeman2 Posts: 12 Deckhand
    edited September 22 #25
    Hey Brock,

I've fished both Venice and Alaska, And would recommend you take a good look at Alaska! venice inshore is an unbelievable inshore red fishing spot but if you live in Florida those fish are already available to you. In Alaska you will have an opportunity to catch fish and see things you wont see anywhere in Florida. I fished for Halibut, rockfish and Ling cod out of Seward and for Salmon all over the Kenia Peninsula. The backdrop is something you wont see anywhere in the world and the fishing is world class for every species. I did a clam trip on one of the moon tides that ran 31' and that was a great Alaska experience, we dug razor clams up to 8" long. Do a little research on Alaska and see what you think. Good Luck!

Blaze  
    i am starting to rethink this.   IDK i'd still go with my choice of a Bahamas trip with wahoo/mahi/tuna.    The Alaska trip would be incredible but i think i'm gonna take the wife there in the next few years anyway and i bet i can get some kind of fishing trip lined up with that vacation even if for only one day.   
    Blazeman2 said:

Hey Brock, I dead a clam trip on one of the moon tides that ran 31' and that was a great Alaska experience, we dug razor clams up to 8" long. Do a little research on Alaska and see what you think. Good Luck!

Blaze  
    Hah ! ! !  I'd forgotten those guys.  I looove Razor Clamming - but it takes practice.  I'm real good at chopping them in half.  You'll be working right at the edge of the water on that wide open ocean beach with the surf "right there," and it's beautiful.

For a real treat, take the smaller ones - rinse thoroughly, of course - and dip them quickly in boiling water to pop the shells off, then fast fry them in butter to where they're barely heated thru.  Mmmm....MM....finger lickin' good.
  • demersalangelerdemersalangeler SE FLORIDA Posts: 456 Deckhand
     Going to the Osaka Japan  Jigging show! 
    Blazeman2 said:
    Hey Brock,

I've fished both Venice and Alaska, And would recommend you take a good look at Alaska! venice inshore is an unbelievable inshore red fishing spot but if you live in Florida those fish are already available to you. In Alaska you will have an opportunity to catch fish and see things you wont see anywhere in Florida. I fished for Halibut, rockfish and Ling cod out of Seward and for Salmon all over the Kenia Peninsula. The backdrop is something you wont see anywhere in the world and the fishing is world class for every species. I did a clam trip on one of the moon tides that ran 31' and that was a great Alaska experience, we dug razor clams up to 8" long. Do a little research on Alaska and see what you think. Good Luck!

Blaze  
    Never been to Alaska, and have pretty much no interest in fishing there. Especially for halibut. I would defiantly choose Venice over Alaska. It's not just the reds inshore, the the tuna, dolphin, wahoo, and billfish offshore. Where else can you go and target yellow fin one day, and swords the next, or even the same day if the stars aline? Plus catch an easy limit of ARS as a by catch. I wouldn't choose Venice if I was looking for a bucket list trip, only because I've kicked that particular bucket owner about 20 or more times. I'd be heading for Central America and one of the lodges down there. Probably on the Pacific side, so I could get a shot in adding a couple more of my grand  slam on billfish.