Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Quiet place to fish Indian River near Melbourne?

ladywannafishladywannafish Ohio for the time beingPosts: 4 Greenhorn
I have a trip to the Melbourne area in mid-October and am bringing my large dog.  The downside is he is a barker - barks at fish and barks when he sees other dogs.  I am hoping to find a quiet, isolated spot where I'm allowed to fish from the shore somewhere along the Indian or Banana river where we can hopefully be alone and not disturb anyone.  Could anyone suggest any spots where you've found solitude?  Thank you!!

Replies

• ladywannafishladywannafish Ohio for the time beingPosts: 4 Greenhorn
    Also, I don't know if this is a silly question or not, but are there certain areas we need to be concerned about gators?
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,660 Captain
    You'll see more gators in retention ponds/lakes with a lot brush around them and in brackish where a lot of mangroves are. Biggest gator I ever saw was in the space center area No Motor Zone.  12+ feet. Just don't let your guard down.
  • FlecFlec Posts: 731 Officer
    Alligators are not a problem along the shores of the Indian River in the Melbourne area.. But always be aware of your surroundings. There could be sting rays and jellyfish in the water and the occasional shark. Manatees are harmless, although they can sometimes sneak up close to you and scare you with their large size. Take a look at google maps of the area and you should find a few places to pull over and fish.
  • nhkevnhkev Posts: 110 Deckhand
    there is a park where Route 1 meets Suntree Blvd.  during the week there should be very few there.  another place is the boat ramp on Route 1 where it meets pineda.  there is a little beach area at the boat ramp.  if you go over the bridge of pineda and take the merritt island exit go left there is another area that you can park and fish the banana river.  lastly if you go down A1A past sebastian there are many turn offs that you can fish the river that no one else will be around.    With all that said the fishing isn't that good for much more than catfish.  finding a spot on the ocean during the week might be better
  • ladywannafishladywannafish Ohio for the time beingPosts: 4 Greenhorn
    Thanks all - very helpful info!

nhkev said:
    the fishing isn't that good for much more than catfish.  finding a spot on the ocean during the week might be better
    I don't know a whole lot about the fish in the area but was thinking of trying for redfish, trout, or anything that would be good on the grill.  I'm seeing that dogs aren't allowed on the beach in a lot of Brevard so I figured I'd go to the rivers - but seeing what you're saying about catfish, maybe I'll focus on Vero Beach a bit further out and Cocoa Beach in the early AM and evening when dogs are allowed and hope it's not crowded...

I try to avoid beaches that are specifically "dog beaches" because the ones I've been to tend to have a lot of dogs which stresses out my dog.  So it's kind of tricky finding a place that allows dogs yet isn't full of dogs, and that also allows fishing.

Flec said:
    Take a look at google maps of the area and you should find a few places to pull over and fish.
    Thanks, I was trying that but I'm unfamiliar with the area and wonder how would you tell if a place is okay to fish in or might be private land?
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,660 Captain
    Weekdays in south Cocoa Beach are fine to take your dog during the allowed hours. Plus snook and other stuff is after the mullet in the surf