Welcome Boatless Anglers

FS BlairFS Blair Posts: 1,712 Admin
There's no reason the lack of having a boat should stop you from going fishing. In fact there are several folks that swear the best way to catch fish on the flats is by getting in the water with them and wading. Eyeball to eyeball, no big boat profile. Also, there's something to be said about the simplicity of grabbing a rod, a few jigs and heading to a bridge or pier for a few hours. Whether you live on the west coast or east coast some of the best inshore action you'll find will be on foot. Let's use the Forum to share ideas, experiences and photos from your trips. Welcome to Angler on Foot.

Replies

• sharkbite2sharkbite2 Posts: 22 Greenhorn
    You know what you say may be almost right if your in great heath and a while ago thats what I was able to do and loved it.

But now thats out of the question for me any more, because I became handicaped and can't enjoy that kind of fishing.

So don't be so harsh with your opening statement about the lack of not having a boat, it could be just what I need and there are more out there to.

So enjoy your fishing any way you can enjoy it!!
  • FS BlairFS Blair Posts: 1,712 Admin
    sharkbite2, I'm with you 100%, "enjoy your fishing any way you can." I couldn't have said it any better.
  • Robm00923Robm00923 Posts: 121 Deckhand
    Started fishing tue morning @ the inlet caught two flounder, took a fishh to the cooler came back and my dip net was gone, a wave took it off the rock I was fishing.Gone!!! So long story short I kept fishing anyway thinking man i hope I can flip these fish if I get more to bite. well natrually I got my biggest fish to eat while I had no net. I hook the fish it starts burning drag and blows up on top of the water My buddy yells down to me,**** Rob, bet you wish you had a net now! Well I got the fish flipped'er nice n easy! So it was a good day though I lost a net...took home 8 good fish:thumbsup. So to all happy fishing and hang on to your net... Rob
  • CookinmanCookinman Posts: 880 Officer
    Nice Flatties !!!
  • TrophyRoomAppTrophyRoomApp Posts: 172 Officer
    Great Job
    Do You Hunt Or Fish & Own An iPhone? http://www.TrophyRoomApp.com
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 4,498 Captain
    I wish I had one of those big boys stuffed & grilled right now. I haven't had one in a long time.
  • LennybassLennybass Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    Do the ponds in and around resorts in the Disney area hold largemouth? What are some dangers to be aware of while fishing off shore?
  • Robm00923Robm00923 Posts: 121 Deckhand
    Yea there are alot of good bass around Disney I live right behind it near one of it's canals, and yea they're there! "Offshore troubles" Well dont play near a shark cuda king or a wahoo mouth :) dont get cut, bring lots a fuel and dont get lost...Rob
    Lennybass wrote: »
    Do the ponds in and around resorts in the Disney area hold largemouth? What are some dangers to be aware of while fishing off shore?
  • LennybassLennybass Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    Well unfortunately I will not be towing my bass tracker down to Florida sure wish I could. I was thinking of hiring a guide but , I think I rather go on an adventure . What type of lure colors work best early April ?
  • ontheedge5658ontheedge5658 Posts: 2,662 Captain
    Best color worms are Junebug and Watermelon. I use Senko type worms. Should have no problem catching fish at that time.
  • DAIWA KINGDAIWA KING Posts: 55 Deckhand
    I love wading on fish, and throwing doa shrimp all day.
    I ONLY USE DAIWA...
  • SpaceCoast SlayerSpaceCoast Slayer Posts: 3,527 Officer
    i primarily wade.. i do have a canoe but it just serves as the vehicle.. get where i wanna go and get in the drink! its so much more effective than trying to fish out of a boat
  • ReelchickFLReelchickFL Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    Monster Goliath caught from a bridge in the keys. This big boy ate a chunk of a 40 lb barracuda head.
  • FS BlairFS Blair Posts: 1,712 Admin
    This could be a record catch for "Angler on Foot" Nice Going.
  • redmarlinredmarlin Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    any know where some good spots to fish by shore in Venice, fl for my son and I
  • AndrewSAndrewS Posts: 158 Officer
    Robm00923 wrote: »
    Started fishing tue morning @ the inlet caught two flounder, took a fishh to the cooler came back and my dip net was gone, a wave took it off the rock I was fishing.Gone!!! So long story short I kept fishing anyway thinking man i hope I can flip these fish if I get more to bite. well natrually I got my biggest fish to eat while I had no net. I hook the fish it starts burning drag and blows up on top of the water My buddy yells down to me,**** Rob, bet you wish you had a net now! Well I got the fish flipped'er nice n easy! So it was a good day though I lost a net...took home 8 good fish:thumbsup. So to all happy fishing and hang on to your net... Rob
    Very nice flounder. I like the way you took that picture. Pretty Cool!
    redmarlin wrote: »
    any know where some good spots to fish by shore in Venice, fl for my son and I
    A lot of places to fish the beaches along Harbor Drive. Go to the end of Harbor Drive to Caspersen beach. Pretty good flounder fishing right now.
    I fished all my life in boats. I am now retired, and just floundering around on the beaches of SW Fl. It's like fishing with all the work picked out, and you can catch fish with out a boat.
  • will i amwill i am Posts: 314 Officer
    FloridaOD wrote: »
    I have a skiff and kayaks but sometimes a ramble along Northeast Florida's public lands waterways is just magnificent.

some nice pictures there
  • apex-predatorapex-predator Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    Anybody have any good suggestions of places to fish in the lower keys without a boat. piers or flats?
  • SaintMarySaintMary Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    Is anyone else on the forums on boatlessfishing.com?
  • tberry91tberry91 Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    Well I am glad to see a page/forum for the guys on foot coming around now
  • BasstarBasstar Posts: 440 Deckhand
    apex-predator, if you are headed to The Keys, you are in luck because there are spots to fish all along your way down through The Keys.

I was there last February and had no problem at all in finding places to fish.

There are plenty of pull off parking areas, flats, bridges, etc., and to be honest none of the areas I fished were ever crowded. While fishing by a bridge there may be a few folks but never a crowd nor an issue.

Enjoy!
  • PelagicidePelagicide Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    Wow, Halibut sized flounders! Seriously, I've never caught or seen in person Flounder that big. I do live in MD though, so that may have something to do with it, lol.
  • PelagicidePelagicide Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    My ultimate fish to catch is a Tarpon, and I've decided I'm going to do it this year. I live in MD, but my plan is to fly in, rent a car, and fish the beaches.
    Can anyone give me a clue as where to start? I thought the Tampa area, but it seems like Palm Beach/Jupitor is doing really well now. Any locals interested in guiding an out of state visitor to your favorite Tarpon hole? This is going to be cheap, DIY trip for me, (on disability, that check doesn't go far!) and I'm hoping to get pointed in the right direction from the locals, since I've only got 2 days to fish.
    Thanks!
  • Walt_26Walt_26 Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    Tarpon are my favorite species to catch, if you can Islamorada in the keys is one of the best places to fish and thier are many cheep guides in that area.
  • Cathy977Cathy977 Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    New to the Sarasota area and wondered where the best places are to shore fish around here. Any hot spots? Appreciate it! :fishing[email protected]