Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Monday Mutton and Freak Accident - Stuart 9/6/21

Managed to get my wife seasick before we even left the inlet while I was walking around chasing mullet on the sandbar.  Less than stellar on the bait but got a few fingers.  Likewise water was dirty brown outside the inlet and that was tough too.  Fished the bottom off Loran tower with my meager supply 1st hit blue runner, next cutoff - finally the rod really bends way over and picked up a nice 7 lb. mutton.  Target species!

Now to the not target species.  Got a blue runner out on a wire trace that does not want to go down.  A couple of porpoise show up off the stern so I start to bring the bait in so they don't steal it.  As I'm pulling it up from 6 feet down one of them rushes over eats it and gets hooked!  Never happened to me before, I thought they can see the line, hooks etc?  Crap - we cut the line as quickly as possible.  Maybe if I had just left it down there it would have not elicited the strike?

Replies

• TheSuperApeTheSuperApe Posts: 35 Deckhand
    Are you absolutely certain it got the hook? I have had baits and fish stolen by flipper countless times and only once has it actually got a hook in its mouth and it was obviously hurting. Other times I generally get my rig back

• AftershockAftershock Posts: 237 Deckhand
    I'm pretty sure, it was a small runner with a single hook and pulled off a good amount of line before my wife was able to grab a knife.  He/she really took the bait.  Hopefully will be OK.
  • TheSuperApeTheSuperApe Posts: 35 Deckhand
    edited September 8 #4
    Congrats on the snapper thats a beautiful fish. It always feels great to have a plan and succeed.

About your encounter with flipper though. I wasn't there so im not saying you are wrong. What I will share is my experience at a pier with a bad dolphin problem. If you throw a bait like a cig or hardtail or sardine more than likely a dolphin will eat it. We don't bottom fish with these baits on this pier because flipper will take your bait every time. We free drift baits on top. You must watch your bait and move it away from dolphins if they decide they want to eat it. This happens everyday at this pier. Hundreds of baits and hooked mackerel are eaten by flipper in a week due to new or ignorant anglers. They very very rarely get hooked. Once in my life has one gotten my hook and I see it only a few times a year.

Standard protocol is to simply palm the spool and the bait will rip right off the hook. I guarantee it.

In the small chance it is actually hooked then go to point the rod directly down the line and hold the spool. It will break at one of the terminal knots. What you did is actually the worse thing you could have done for flipper. Now it has 50yards or more of line it can entangle itself and others in. 

Remember. Point rod directly down the line and palm the spool.

Edited to add
    When they are hooked they don't just swim away they jump and spin and roll around on the surface in a visibly distraught manner as you or i would.

These are just my experiences your mileage may vary.