Home General Hunting

Acorns starting to fall...

Water and Live Oaks. Don't really have a need for Live but the Water Oaks Rock this Town...And I got a Bunch.
Deer will be leaving Muscadines and Browse for the acorns. 
Plan Accordingly..
Killin and Grillin :grin

Replies

• swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 3,079 Captain
    Live oaks dropping in Temple Terrace (my office is there). Nothing yet in my WMAs…
  • gogittumgogittum SW New MexicoPosts: 2,314 Captain
    They've been rattling on my roof all week....I believe Live Oaks.

How do you tell when Pecans are ready and how do you go about collecting them ??  Got tons of them here.....huge trees, loaded.
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 8,177 Admiral
    This is a Swamp Chestnut Oak drop year ( usually every 3rd ) and they are loaded. No amount on the ground yet. Did note quite a few acorns on the Chapman & Runner and Sand Live Oak up on the sand hill. Still small......but a good crop.

Woods are starting to show Fall flowers. Golden Rod, Blazing Stars and a host of others are starting.......2-3 weeks and the woods will be about a alive with color as it can get. 
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 9,085 Admiral
    gogittum said:

How do you tell when Pecans are ready and how do you go about collecting them ??  Got tons of them here.....huge trees, loaded.loaded.

Don't know about where your at.  In swga pecans start falling in October.

You'll see them opening up getting ready to fall.  They have to dry out for a while.  You can taste the difference when they get right.
  • zimmy4209zimmy4209 Ocala FloridaPosts: 1,384 Officer
    Nothing on the trees around my house this year. Also looks like gypsies or something is tearing up the leaves on most of them real bad! 
  • gogittumgogittum SW New MexicoPosts: 2,314 Captain
    stc1993 said:
    gogittum said:

How do you tell when Pecans are ready and how do you go about collecting them ??  Got tons of them here.....huge trees, loaded.loaded.

Don't know about where your at.  In swga pecans start falling in October.

You'll see them opening up getting ready to fall.  They have to dry out for a while.  You can taste the difference when they get right.
    Are the Acorns edible ??  For the Pecans, do you wait for them to fall ??  How do you determine which ones are good to pick up ??  There are already quite a few on the ground and they're rock hard.  Those trees are 12" to 18" in diameter and smooth trunked.  No climbing those things.
    When pecans drop to the ground in just the shell, they’re good to crack and eat. Those that drop still in the green or almost black husk are not ready to eat. Squirrels will eat them while still green. 
    The indigenous peoples would eat them. I tried them when I was a kid and thought they were really bitter.  
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 9,546 Admiral
    I've also heard you can make Acorn Flour..
  • Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 2,181 Captain
    These are my favorite. Burr oaks. As big as a silver dollar.                                   
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Never seen them...Florida..?
    Swamp edges or flatland Pines , Sand hills..
    They range south but I don't think they make it into fla. They are cool because of the size of the acorn. I have them all around my pasture. When they fall you can bet the deer will follow. 
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    AND..Where is your Pasture...just the State will do..
  • joelunchbucketjoelunchbucket Posts: 696 Officer
    Missouri, I believe. 
    Yes. Missouri. Here's an oak tree you guys that have land may find interesting. It grows in the south including FL. Sawtooth oak. I planted 20. Had 8 survive. The ones that lived are three years old and almost 20ft high. One even had acorns this year.     
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ruff - Must be cold where those acorns are, they’re wearing muffs around the caps… ;)
  • bottom feederbottom feeder Posts: 1,484 Officer
    I used to have a few around my duck pond near Warsaw.

Leaving Florida... take a developer with you!

• bswivbswiv Posts: 8,177 Admiral
    There was a small area in Twelve Mile Swamp ( St. Johns County ) where Louann and I used to hunt that had a small ancient dune ridge adjacent to a broad ephemeral creek. We had a trail cut ( Yes.....it was illegal.....but we did not know it was illegal to cut trails then........and as it's been near on 15 years I think we're safe o:) )along the edge where the two ran together.

Within a 400-500 yard section there were Swamp Chestnut, Overcup and Shumard Oaks, all of which are in the White Oak Family. 

That they were there, and knowing that the wood from all of them was preferred by early settlers to Florida makes one wonder how it might have looked before Mr. DeLeon set foot on the sand?