Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Hornbellies was the Flavor of the Day!

Hornbellies was the Flavor of the Day!

The late night meteorologist predicted rain from 9 a.m. – 12, although the morning meteorologist predicted it wouldn’t rain until the afternoon, so Jorge called and we were off at 9, with a load of nice shrimp.  I jinxed the trip by loading the fish box with ice, as I wanted a slot Snook for dinner (season opened September 1).  Unfortunately, we fished the beginning of the outgoing tide, on the South docks exiting the Manatee Pocket, the Hole in the Wall, South Beach and even North Beach without success.  I think it was over three hours and we caught a Sand Perch, 2 Mangrove Snapper, and a Catfish.  I sure lost my mojo for catching Snook, as I haven’t fished in two weeks.   

I was desperate at this point and took a run offshore to my bait spot and in short order loaded up a dozen Greenies (Threadfin Herring) and two dozen Hornbellies.  It was off to the Sailfish Point and upon arrival we saw about three dozen schooling Snook.  I decided I was still going to try a Shrimp, even though we had white baits.  I bounced shrimp on the head of multiple Snook and they wouldn’t eat them.  We then both loaded up a Greenie and they checked them out, but wouldn’t eat, a couple Snook took a few whacks at the Greenies.  Jorge decided to change things up and threw a Hornbellie and as soon as it hit the water, he was hooked up.  Jorge landed a nice, but not nice enough….27.5” Snook, we measured it twice and it was released.  Shortly thereafter, I caught a smaller Snook on a Hornbellie.  Who would have thought?

We worked it for another half hour until the storms started approaching and seeing the formation of two waterspouts.  We got to the Ten Cent Bridge and fished it for half hour, as the closest storm passed to the South.  Without luck, we headed back to the dock and finished, just as the rains arrived.  Pretty Sad report, only 2 Snook. 

Replies