Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Anyone put pinfish traps in Tampa Bay since Red Tide?

Before the red tide I was pretty successful getting a lot of pinfish in the traps in the bay.  Haven't really tried since.  Seemed like the red tide in the bay decimated the pinfish/hogfish etc... population from what I saw on the seawalls etc...

Anyone put any traps out lately in the bay?  Wondering if it is even worth it for a Sunday trip.  Trying to avoid the gas burn or running a few miles offshore where I THINK they didn't get hit as bad.
In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013

Replies

• BK922BK922 Posts: 73 Deckhand
    I haven't dropped any traps lately, I did try to sabiki some on pinellas point a couple weeks ago, not a tap. And my buddies from my old job at fwc that are still pulling seines say they aren't catching anything in them other than snook from downtown st pete down to fort desoto.... I'll be out running around the east side of the bay tomorrow I'll try and remember to update you if I see anything. 
    <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CaptainBlyCaptainBly Posts: 2,586 Captain
    Thanks
    Burch put one out yesterday in our normal spot where we loaded up on them and nada...looks like zabiki is in my future.
  • SeaSearcherSeaSearcher west FlPosts: 175 Deckhand
    Bait guy out front of Oneill's had pinfish this morning(Saturday), good mangrove size. We also caught bigger ones in 30' or so out of PAG.
    Cool.  that is the plan this morning as well.  Thanks
  • Phins_360Phins_360 FLPosts: 11 Deckhand
    Yes.

Ours are around the JP area. Doing fine.

We need to get you way out Paul. Send me a message on here
  • winderbillwinderbill Posts: 316 Deckhand
    I caught plenty on fish bites on the flats just south and east of Oneil’s
  • hook_emhook_em Posts: 234 Deckhand
    Sabikied some near the guy that sells bait by Oneills.

BTW, red tide is still out there.  Hit channel marker 9.  All the bait I pulled up died.  Went farther to number 5.  Same thing.  Finally got in some clean water at the last marker.

Weird, though, that all the white bait I already had in the well were fine.  Just the bait I sabikied up died.