Skip to main content
Home Conservation Front

***Snapper, Grouper, Dolphin, Wahoo comments needed by 12/19***

DaveDave Posts: 149 Officer
There are proposed regulations regarding Snapper, Grouper, Dolphin and Wahoo please take a few minutes and comment.

Go to: http://www.regulations.gov/#!submitComment;D=NOAA-NMFS-2011-0087-0049

fill in form blanks, there are too many actions to fit in the comments and you will need to cut into 2 comments or save and attach as upload file.

Here are some suggested comments:

I request that the Secretary take the following actions on these subjects.

Actions under the Snapper Grouper Fishery Management Plan
(except wreckfish; black grouper non-ABC actions;
and jurisdictional allocations for yellowtail and mutton snappers)

Action 1: Remove Species from the Snapper Grouper Fishery Management Unit (FMU)
I support Alternative 2 (Preferred). Remove species from the Snapper Grouper FMU with 95% (or greater) of landings in state waters. (French grunt, Spanish grunt, Yellow jack, Grass porgy, Porkfish, Puddingwife, Bluestriped grunt, Sheepshead, Crevalle jack & Black margate)

I support Alternative 5 (Preferred). Remove all the species under the Florida Marine Life Species Rule from the Snapper Grouper FMU. (Queen triggerfish, Porkfish & Puddingwife)

I support Alternative 9 (Preferred). Remove tiger grouper and smallmouth grunt from the Snapper Grouper FMU.

Action 2: Designate Ecosystem Component (EC) Species
I support Alternative 1 (No Action). Do not designate EC species.

Action 3: Establish Species Groupings for Snapper Grouper Species
I support Alternative 1 (No Action). Do not establish multi-species groupings for the Snapper Grouper FMU.

Action 4: Establish an Acceptable Biological Catch (ABC) Control Rule for Snapper Grouper Species
I support Alternative 2. Where applicable, establish an ABC Control Rule where ABC equals OFL

Action 5: Specify Allocations for Snapper Grouper Species That Do Not Currently Have Allocations
We do not support any of the alternatives as the past allocations of Golden Tilefish and Snowy Grouper and resulting bag limits have prevented the recreational anglers from being involved in these fisheries. Any allocations would have to be reset at 50% recreational and 50% commercial until new data under MRIP can be used for a valid assessment.

Action 6: Establish Annual Catch Limits (ACLs) and Optimum Yield (OY) for the Snapper Grouper Fishery
I support Alternative 2 (Preferred). Establish ACLs for species as needed where ACL = OY = ABC.

Action 7: Specify Accountability Measures (AMs)/Annual Catch Targets (ACTs) for the Commercial Sector for Species in the Snapper Grouper FMU
No comment

Action 8: Specify Accountability Measures (AMs)/Annual Catch Targets (ACTs) for the Recreational Sector for Species in the Snapper Grouper FMU
I support Subalternative 2a. Do not specify an ACT
I support Subalternative 3c. If the mean landings for the past three years exceed the ACL
I support Subalternative 4a (Preferred). Do not specify an in-season AM
I support Subalternative 5b. For post-season accountability measures, compare ACL with landings over a range of years. For 2011, use only 2011 landings. For 2012, use the mean landings of 2011 and 2012. For 2013 and beyond, use the most recent three-year running mean

Snapper Grouper Fishery Management Plan
(wreckfish)

Action 9: Specify Allocations for the Wreckfish Fishery
I support Alternative 2. Divide allocations as 90% Commercial and 10% Recreational

Action 10: Establish an Annual Catch Limit (ACL) and Optimum Yield (OY) for Wreckfish
I support Alternative 2 (Preferred). ACL = OY = ABC.

Action 11: Specify Accountability Measures (AM) for the Wreckfish Fishery
I support Subalternative 2c. If the mean landings for the past three years exceed the ACL

Action 12: Establish Management Measures for Wreckfish
I support Alternative 5. Implement a 5-wreckfish per vessel per day bag limit for the recreational fishery

Snapper Grouper Fishery Management Plan
(black grouper, yellowtail snapper & mutton snapper)

Action 13: Specify Jurisdictional Allocations for Black Grouper
I support Alternative 1 (No Action). Do not establish jurisdictional allocation of the black grouper acceptable biological catch (ABC) between the Gulf of Mexico and South Atlantic Councils.

Action 14: Specify Sector Allocations for Black Grouper
I support Subalternative 2e (Preferred). Commercial = 36.88% and recreational = 63.12% using 50% of average landings from 1991-2008 + 50% of average landings from 2006-2008

Action 15: Establish Annual Catch Limits (ACL) and Optimum Yield (OY) for Black Grouper
I support Alternative 2 (Preferred). ACL = OY = ABC. Specify commercial and recreational ACLs for black grouper as indicated in the table below. ACLs will not increase in a subsequent year if present year projected catch has exceeded the ACL

Action 16: Establish Accountability Measures/Management Measures for the Commercial Sector for Black Grouper
I support Alternative 3 (Preferred). After the commercial ACL is met or projected to be met, all purchase and sale of black grouper is prohibited and harvest and/or possession is limited to the bag limit.
I support Alternative 4 (Preferred). If the commercial sector ACL is exceeded, the Regional Administrator shall publish a notice to reduce the commercial sector ACL in the following season by the amount of the overage only if overfished

Action 17: Establish Accountability Measures/Management Measures for the Recreational Sector for Black Grouper
I support Subalternative 2a. Do not specify an ACT
I support Subalternative 3d. If the modified mean landings exceed the ACL. The modified mean is the average of the most recent 5 years of available landings data with highest and lowest landings estimates removed.

Action 18: Establish Jurisdictional Allocations for Yellowtail Snapper
I support Alternative 1 (No action). Do not establish jurisdictional allocation of the yellowtail snapper acceptable biological catch (ABC) between the Gulf of Mexico and South Atlantic Councils.

Action 19: Establish Jurisdictional Allocations for Mutton Snapper
I support Alternative 1. (No Action). Do not establish jurisdictional allocation of the mutton snapper Acceptable Biological Catch (ABC) between the Gulf and South Atlantic Councils.

Dolphin Wahoo Fishery Management Plan

Action 20: Establish an Acceptable Biological Catch (ABC) Control Rule and ABC for Dolphin
I support Alternative 2. Establish an ABC Control Rule where ABC equals OFL.

Action 21: Specify Allocations for Dolphin
I support Alternative 2. Define allocations for dolphin based upon landings from the accumulative landings system (ALS), MRFSS, and headboat databases. The allocation would be based on landings from the years 1999- 2008. The allocation would be 7% commercial and 93% recreational. The commercial and recreational allocation specified for 2011 would remain in effect beyond 2011 until modified.

Action 22: Establish Annual Catch Limits (ACL) and Optimum Yield (OY) for Dolphin
I support Alternative 2 (Preferred). ACL = OY =ABC (currently estimated to be 14,596,216 lbs ww).

Action 23: Establish Accountability Measures for the Commercial Sector for Dolphin
We do not support any of the alternatives I support commercial sector ACT equals commercial sector ACL.

Action 24: Establish Accountability Measures for the Recreational Sector for Dolphin
I support Alternative 1 (No Action). Do not specify new recreational AMs for dolphin

Action 25: Establish Management Measures for Dolphin
I support Alternative 4. Establish a minimum size limit of 20 inches fork length from Florida through New England

Action 26: Establish an Acceptable Biological Catch (ABC) Control Rule and ABC for Wahoo
I support Alternative 2. Establish an ABC control rule where ABC equals OFL

Action 27: Specify Allocations for Wahoo
I support Alternative 1 (No Action). Do not define allocations for wahoo.

Action 28: Establish Annual Catch Limits (ACL) and Optimum Yield (OY) for Wahoo
I support Alternative 1 (No Action). There is no ACL specified for wahoo. Currently OY for wahoo is the amount of harvest that can be taken by fishermen while not exceeding 100% of MSY (between 1.41 and 1.63 million lbs)

Action 29: Establish Accountability Measures for the Commercial Sector for Wahoo
I support none of the alternatives ACT should equal

Action 30: Establish Accountability Measures for the Recreational Sector for Wahoo
I support Alternative 1 (No Action). Do not specify new recreational AMs for wahoo.

Action 31: Establish Management Measures for Wahoo
I support Alternative 1 (No Action) (Preferred).

Sargassum Fishery Management Plan
There should be no harvest of Sargassum

Replies