Canadian fishing

I frequently ask people back from Alaska any fish up
there that fight like a snook,tarpon or red?Usual
answer no,but all good to eat.
    Canada for me, a walleye great to eat,fighter
not so much.Smallmouth great game fish but
rarely over 5lbs.
     But the cool weather,two brothers,great
and different scenery makes the trip worthwhile.
    See you after Labor Day and snook opening.

Replies

• Kayak_PeteKayak_Pete Posts: 184 Deckhand
    Where ya goin' ?
    2014 Hobie Sport
  • 10kman10kman Posts: 835 Officer
      We will cross the Minn.border????? and fish Canadian
    lakes 30-50 miles.I'm using questions marks because
    its a passport,vaccine card and negative test 72 hrs.
    before entering.
       My brother reported there was such a long line
    first day,drivers covid test expired because 72 hrs.was
    up.
  • Paucan6005Paucan6005 Port of the islandsPosts: 88 Deckhand
    It’s early for lake trout on the shallows. When the weather turns usually late September : lake trout spawn in the shallows with mepp spinners can be epic
    And big northerns on light tackle /wire leader / 5 of diamonds in the reed beds they can get 40”+ and give you a decent fight
      I once caught a 25lb.northern on a zara spook
    in shallow water.The fish laid there motionless
    as if to say"How stupid of me,to be caught on
    a zara spook."I had to shake the rod to get the
    fish to move.
    I have had some great fights with northerns
  • nobleonenobleone Posts: 99 Deckhand
    I have guided/fished in SE Alaska for a few seasons and the King runs and Silver runs are spectacular.  Long drag peeling runs by the Chinook will set your heart to racing and your instincts wondering if the drag is set correctly.  When you gain a little line on them and they come charging at the boat, the most common remark is, ****, it got off!  REEL ****!  When the line comes tight again and the fish sees the boat typically it dives straight for the bottom, which is usually more than a hundred feet below.  Wise crew advises fishermen to lead the fish into the net and doesn't chase a King with the net.  Silver salmon while not quite as powerful, are a different animal and have been known to jump, dive, switch directions and peel a bunch of drag.  The kings are said to be the preferred dinner, but I like the coho's flavor and the cheeks are best eaten raw.  2 cents.

"If it's not one thing, it's an alternator"

• gogittumgogittum SW New MexicoPosts: 2,296 Captain

I fished for Silvers (Coho) in the Strait of Juan de Fuca for years with 6# test Trout tackle and had a wonderful time with them.  They'd run, jump like a huge Trout....sometimes had to chase them with the boat.

7'6" Fenwick rod.....that little Ryobi baitcaster did yeoman service and brought in dozens of them.  I wore it completely out and wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

You'll notice I'm not holding the fish to the camera to make it look bigger.  I make a point of that.  It was very typical at around ~6 lb or so.

As soon as I got them to the boat I'd bleed them, then they'd go straight onto ice.  Nothing better.
  • DodgerDodger Ft MyersPosts: 220 Deckhand
    edited August 23 #10
    I was very fortunate when my Dad was still alive he took me to Northern Manitoba 3 times to fish for northern pike and lake trout.  We would fish 4-5 foot bays and sight cast to 40 inch plus pike.  We would be disappointed with a 35 inch fish.  We used bass baitcasters with 25 lb braid and light steel leaders.  Johnson silver minnows and daredevils.  A 45 inch northern will make multiple runs and do some pretty cool scrambles at the boat.  Overall fresh water fish don't have the power or stamina of saltwater fish.  Smallmouth bass are some of the best fighters.  If you want a great fishing adventure look up Ganglers Lodges in Manitoba.  Not cheap but the trip of a lifetime
  • bigfinn35bigfinn35 Sarasota/VenicePosts: 939 Officer
    gogittum said:

I fished for Silvers (Coho) in the Strait of Juan de Fuca for years with 6# test Trout tackle and had a wonderful time with them.  They'd run, jump like a huge Trout....sometimes had to chase them with the boat.

7'6" Fenwick rod.....that little Ryobi baitcaster did yeoman service and brought in dozens of them.  I wore it completely out and wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

You'll notice I'm not holding the fish to the camera to make it look bigger.  I make a point of that.  It was very typical at around ~6 lb or so.

As soon as I got them to the boat I'd bleed them, then they'd go straight onto ice.  Nothing better.
    headed to the mouth of the Kasilof river near Kenai for about a week starting tomorrow (plus a day of halibut and ling codding in Sitka). Silver run is reported to be in full swing, extremely excited.
    Paddle faster, I hear banjo music.
    Hammered silver spoon 3/8 oz and 1/2 oz if you can get em : blue fox pixie with pink center. Guided you there several years and the silvers in the river love em
    Nice, already bought a bunch of silver pixies but I'll check for that color pattern.
    edited August 24 #14
    bigfinn35 said:
    gogittum said:

headed to the mouth of the Kasilof river near Kenai for about a week starting tomorrow (plus a day of halibut and ling codding in Sitka). Silver run is reported to be in full swing, extremely excited.
    We'd love to hear about it when you're done.  Be careful with my game up there - the Silvers get a lot bigger in Alaska.  Steelhead tackle (~12 - 15# test outfit) might be a good option.  Ling Cod are wonderful eating.....as, of course, are Halibut.  Frequently, Ling Cod will have greenish or blue/green tint to the meat.  No problem - it cooks up white.

My favorite recipe for Ling Cod was to put a bed of half cooked rice on a sheet of heavy aluminum foil (50/50 Wild Rice works very well, too)  Put a nice sized filet of Ling Cod on the rice, (trim off the dark meat) then season and cover with paper thin slices of tomato, onion and lemon.  Fold into a packet and bake....it's been many years, but IIRC, 350 for 20 or 30 minutes.  The slices cook down into the fish and the combined juices finish cooking the rice.  Open the packet and have at it.  When you open the packet, the steam will make your mouth water.

Trolling for Silvers in the tide rips, I never liked the heavy flashers, etc.  A single cut plug Herring on a tandem hook rig works very well and allows you to use much lighter tackle that lets the fish put up a good fight.  Slip a 1/2 oz sinker onto the line to get the bait below the S h i t Hawk's (Seagulls) reach.  Works good down deep for Kings, too, with appropriate weight.  Troll slowly for Silvers, mooch for Kings.
    edited August 24 #15
    We'll be bank fishing the Kasilof, no boat access unfortunately. That ling cod recipe sounds delish, I've made a couple halibut/ling trips before but not as an adult with my own kitchen, lol. Looking forward to the results. Bringing some medium and medium-heavy 4000-size spin outfits with 15-20lb braid, plus two fly rods. Figure I might try for some of the bigger rainbows in the afternoon once we get our silver limits. 

Good tips on the cut herring, will keep that in mind!
    Take a container for the herring - about 4" diameter by 6" tall.  Put 1/2" of salt in it, fill it 3/4 with water and put the Herring cut side down into the salt.  Toughens 'em up a lot and they stay on hook better.  Have fun.....wish I could join you.  I love that country.
  • polliwogpolliwog Posts: 348 Deckhand
    10K, my son lives in Canada BC and visited us several weeks ago and had a hell of a  problem when his plane back to BC was delayed and missed dead line with the test expiring.Cost him an extra day getting a new test report. He wasn't happy.
    Traveling isn't easy these days.
    Ok, heres my fishing report.Was hoping Canada would reopen,instead back to
    closing there borders.But,second day fishing went with a person who has been superb on
    smallmouth bass.He didn't disappoint.I caught one 21"and two 20"s.21"approx.6.3lbs.
       That was Tues.and on Fri.the annual smallmouth tourney started with 60 boats.The
    five largest fish in the boat would have far exceeded the #1 boat.But we were not in
    the tournament.
    So the border is closed again?  
    Any 6 lb smallie is a great fish!  Congrats!
    Dodger,Canadian Border when I was there was open.But to fish in Canada by
    driving you needed a negative covid test,passport,Ontario fishing license.Now 
    by water a Ontario fishing license,a Ontario Conservation card.You cannot
    touch land in Canada or meet a Canadian.
    Well, unfortunately the salmon fishing around Kenai was mostly a bust. Got a few fish on the 3 days we fished but the local opinion seemed to be that we were smack in between their first and second run of silvers. Fortunately, both halibut trips were a blast. Biggest was around 50 lbs, with plenty of other fish for the box. Also got a 45" ling that had to be released.
    10kman said:
    Dodger,Canadian Border when I was there was open.But to fish in Canada by
    driving you needed a negative covid test,passport,Ontario fishing license.Now 
    by water a Ontario fishing license,a Ontario Conservation card.You cannot
    touch land in Canada or meet a Canadian.
    Thanks for the clarification!  Hopefully that changes before next summer.  I'm itching to get back up there!
    edited September 9 #24
    That's too bad, but sounds like you had fun anyway.  Hooking a nice Salmon in a river full of fishermen can really be exciting - and hectic.
    bigfinn35 said:
    Well, unfortunately the salmon fishing around Kenai was mostly a bust. Got a few fish on the 3 days we fished but the local opinion seemed to be that we were smack in between their first and second run of silvers. Fortunately, both halibut trips were a blast. Biggest was around 50 lbs, with plenty of other fish for the box. Also got a 45" ling that had to be released.
    My Dad took me to Alaska in '95. Same deal for us.  In between the big runs.  We shared a guided boat with another couple on the Kenai and one lady got a 69 lb king!  Bright red and almost pulled her over the side of the boat!  We also did well on halibut.  Our boat got a 315 pounder and many more for the box.  We dry-iced 75 lbs of halibut home.  Ate well that year for sure!  I will try to find some old pics.  A trip I will never forget.
    Sounds memorable Dodger. Alaska certainly got under my skin, I'm looking at maybe going to grad school there in a year or so.
    Yep, I'm just waiting until my kids get a little older and we will be making a trip to Soldotna!