Home Photography Corner

Limpkin

gogittumgogittum SW New MexicoPosts: 2,349 Captain
Rain held off today so hooked up the boat and headed for the launch at PaPaw's campground.  I'd had difficulty launching on previous runs, so spent some time re-adjusting the bunk boards and keel rollers.  This time, I backed it in shallow and pushed it off'n the trailer with one hand.  Winning.

A couple of miles upstream, between Nelson & Annie Lakes a Limpkin flew across in front of me, landed on floating vegetation and proceeded to catch dinner - while keeping an eye on me.  I did get a glimpse of its' huge feet, but was unable to get a shot of them.  Only about 50 ft away here.  Thanks, Mr or Ms Limpkin - you made my day.

Replies

• 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 2,600 Captain
    One of my favorite birds.
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 15,036 AG
    I like to id birds by name when I see them.  I always have a hard time remembering limpkin!
    Just dropping grenades in OT
  • gogittumgogittum SW New MexicoPosts: 2,349 Captain
    Coming home from town yesterday, I crossed a canal and a Limpkin was on the road.  As I approached, it panicked and started running for the canal.  Watching it keep those big feet sorted out while running was comical.