Home Off Topic

Simone Biles

Parker boyParker boy Posts: 342 Deckhand
Proof this generation is weak

Replies

• ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 16,637 Moderator
    Not at all.

Just a young individual who was molested early and frequently by an adult she trusted. 

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• poncedoradoponcedorado Posts: 625 Officer
    I don't know if anybody who isn't her really stands to judge.

When one missed move has the risk of leaving you paralyzed or worse, if you don't think you're up to it on a given day for whatever reason, including state of mind, I have no issue with her stepping back.

I'd compare it to taking the boat out the inlet on a questionably rough day. I don't care if smaller boats than me are giving it a try, or if I risk disappointing guests by staying inshore. If I'm captain and I don't feel good about it, I ain't going.

Ultimately nobody besides her knows what's in her head.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 16,255 AG
    I would not call someone who went through what she went through weak.   What happened to those girls is appalling.   
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 18,115 AG
    edited July 28 #6
    Simone is arguably the best gymnast of all time --  who has never lost a major she participated in, has won 19 championships, has 4 gymnastic movs literally named after her, and has won 4 gold medals representing the United States.  She also won nationals with broken toes in both feet, worlds with a kidney stone, had her medical records hacked and leaked (she has ADHD), and was sexually assaulted by her coach for years.

And you guys whine incessantly about wearing a mask and getting a **** shot.

I'd say you know nothing about being weak.
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 15,124 AG
    Simone is arguably the best gymnast of all time --  who has never lost a major she participated in, has won 19 championships, has 4 gymnastic movs literally named after her, and has won 4 gold medals representing the United States.  She also won nationals with broken toes in both feet, worlds with a kidney stone, had her medical records hacked and leaked (she has ADHD), and was sexually assaulted by her coach for years.

Although I agree, I don’t think that’s an original thought by you.
  • altuckaltuck TallahasseePosts: 726 Officer
    I blame the media to some extent. The media tries to make heroes out of them creating a "god complex".
     Then when they have an off day "oh the world is ending"

As far as I am concerned the "media" has destroyed most sports. I know that is where the money comes from, but the over sensationalizing by the media has taken the fun aspect out of all sports.

I think the young lady said something to the effect of she wasn't enjoying it and felt it best not to compete that day.
    Shows more sense that the media does.
  • jcbcpajcbcpa Posts: 2,126 Captain
    That girl may have some issues, I don't know and I sure am not going to judge, but weak ain't one of them. 

God sleeps in the minerals, awakens in plants, walks in animals, and thinks in man.

Arthur Young

dave44 said:

Is your post an example of an original thought?

How about the OP?

You should have stopped with "I agree".
  • jetmech2jetmech2 Panhandle Posts: 1,454 Officer
    I would never consider her to be weak. But, she should have either sucked it up and played on or she should have dropped out before the Olympics and let another girl take her place. 
    Yes, because, after all, she's not only the best gymnast in the world but she also has the ability to predict the future.

Brilliant!
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 38,529 AG
    Yes, because, after all, she's not only the best gymnast in the world but she also has the ability to predict the future.

Brilliant!
    You didn't expect him to be right, did you?  :)

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

I'm an optimist by nature.  There's always hope!
    dave44 said:

How about the OP?

The post above yours showed word for word where you got your thought. Nice embellishments though.
  • TheMelManTheMelMan SoWeGAPosts: 894 Officer
    Wonder if she had to come off her ADHD meds for the games and this has compromised her edge.....
    GOOGLE:  Helping Totalitarian Governments Control their populations with Surveillance,  Suppression of information, speech and ideas, now bringing Totalitarian ideas to the US.   Thanks but no thanks!
    edited July 28 #17
    dave44 said:
    dave44 said:

How about the OP?

The post above yours showed word for word where you got your thought. Nice embellishments though.
    Thanks.  Yes, I compiled my post from several sources, and facts, when repeated, tend to sound the same, so I can understand why that might strike you as surprising.

But so what?

The truth hurts, I suppose, so shoot the messenger.

Now there's an original line of thought!
  • Billy No MatesBilly No Mates Posts: 3,392 Captain
    edited July 28 #18

Proof you don't know anything about her. Find out about someone before you judge.
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 15,125 AG
    She should have just said she has an ankle injury and we could have avoided all of this. 
    Just dropping grenades in OT
  • Bimini_TwistedBimini_Twisted TampaPosts: 4,570 Captain
    What example from your generation would you use for comparison? 
  • GardawgGardawg IslamoradaPosts: 13,099 AG
    edited July 28 #21
    So why don't all you tough guys show us the Gold Medals y'all have won?

What's the matter?  Are you too puny and frankly pathetic to compete on a world stage? Weaklings !!

I'd bet most of y'all couldn't do one pull up. 

"Forgiveness is a strange thing. It can be sometimes easier to forgive our enemies than our friends. It can be hardest of all to forgive people we love." Fred Rogers  
    edited July 28 #22
    dave44 said:
    dave44 said:

How about the OP?

Thanks.  Yes, I compiled my post from several sources, and facts, when repeated, tend to sound the same, so I can understand why that might strike you as surprising.

But so what?

You be you, tarp. Or whoever you need to be.
    Thanks for your approval.  It means a lot.
  • Tony RomaTony Roma Posts: 1,228 Officer
    This wasn’t just about Ms. Biles, she was part of a team, in my opinion she could have made her routines less complex meaning less death defying and at least tried to put up some decent scores for her team. 
    Thanks for your approval.  It means a lot.
    It’s because of my magnanimous nature.
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 10,073 AG
    Tony Roma said:
    This wasn’t just about Ms. Biles, she was part of a team, in my opinion she could have made her routines less complex meaning less death defying and at least tried to put up some decent scores for her team. 
    She practices her routine for months and you think she can just change it overnight without any risks, 

• cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 38,529 AG
    dave44 said:
    dave44 said:

How about the OP?

But so what?

Tarp,
    You know this group hates facts. They don't believe them. No science allowed either. You need a conspiracy theory or two to be believable. 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• Cane PoleCane Pole Stuart, FLAPosts: 9,983 Admiral
    I think what she did IS very weak. Nothing to do with "this generation" though.

Sports require supreme concentration and mental toughness to succeed, much less be the best. I cant comprehend how she made it so far, for so long, then just lost it right at the finish line. Must be something else going on that nobody knows about. I call it a major choke. She's no longer the GOAT or face of US Olympics. Any post-olympic endorsement blitzes are gone now.

Imagine if Michael Jordan decided he was going to skip a game 7 because he wasn't feeling good???
    Live music 7 nights a week: http://www.terrafermata.com/_events
    cadman said:
    dave44 said:
    dave44 said:

How about the OP?

But so what?

Tarp,
    You know this group hates facts. They don't believe them. No science allowed either. You need a conspiracy theory or two to be believable. 
    As you know, maybe, if you use something word for word that has been expressed by someone else, it’s generally polite to attribute that to the original person. Facts or no.
  • SaltwaterdawgSaltwaterdawg Too far from the gulfPosts: 3,100 Captain
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 15,125 AG

He recalled the broken fibula forward Alex Killorn suffered when he blocked a shot from the point off the stick of Jeff Petry late in the second period of Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final with the Lightning protecting a 2-1 lead. 

"I saw the x-ray," BriseBois said. "It was broken in two very distinct pieces all the way through."

Killorn broke his leg on a Monday. Three days later, he had surgery to insert a rod into the damaged limb.

By Saturday, Killorn was skating on the ice in an attempt to return for Game 4 of the Cup final in a potential clinching scenario in Montreal. Killorn participated in the Bolts' morning skate and tested his leg in warmups but determined it would be best to let a healthy Mathieu Joseph, who would go on to assist on the game-tying goal that sent the contest to overtime, skate in his place.

Victor Hedman played since March 30 on a torn meniscus. You might remember how it happened. In a regular season game against the Columbus Blue Jackets, a puck was dumped into the offensive zone that Hedman chased after. Columbus' defenseman Mikko Lehtonen slid down onto the ice to block a potential centering feed and upended Hedman, sending the Lightning blueliner awkwardly into the back wall. Hedman crawled on his hands and knees before being attended to by Lightning director of sports medicine Tom Mulligan and had to be helped off the ice as he couldn't put any weight on his right leg.

Lightning fans feared the worst. Maybe only Andrei Vasilevskiy was more important to the Lightning's title defense.

Less than five minutes later, however, Hedman was back on the ice, Bolts nation collectively exhaling.

But Hedman didn't emerge from the play unscathed.

"He's been playing through that (torn meniscus) ever since," BriseBois said.

Barclay Goodrow and Ryan McDonagh each played throughout the playoffs with a broken hand.

And even though Nikita Kucherov famously said, "There was no injury. I don't know what you're talking about," when the Russian forward was asked how felt returning to Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Semifinal against the New York Islanders after playing all but 46 seconds of Game 6 on Long Island, BriseBois revealed Kucherov suffered a non-displaced rib fracture after sustaining a cross-check from the Islanders Scott Mayfield on his first shift of that contest.

Kucherov played the rest of the playoffs with a flak jacket and had to get a nerve block injection the day before every game

Just dropping grenades in OT