Skip to main content
Home Sportsman's Kitchen

Smoked Beef Short Ribs

FlashFlash Senior MemberChiefland/Cedar KeyPosts: 12,488 AG
Finally found some Beef Short Ribs on sale. Not seeing it that much anymore. So snatched up three packs and marinated them in Mojo Crillio for the night. Next day placed them in aluminum pans with some of the Mojo to spoon over them as they cooked. Also added some MDM Rib Rub, along with some Durkee's Mesquite Rub.

BeefShortRibs0065.jpg

Smoker set at 225º Using a combo of Oak and Cherry wood.

BeefShortRibs0068.jpg

These will go for only about 4 hours, bigger ones maybe 4 1/2. Rotate the ribs around and continue to spoon some of the Mojo over the ribs as they smoke.

BeefShortRibs0069.jpg

All nice and done and VERY tender. Mrs Flash had to beat herself back from eating too many.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield

Replies

• rbricklerbrickle Banned Posts: 239 Officer
    Flash, great looking beef bones.
  • TriplecleanTripleclean Banned Posts: 6,570 Admiral
  • Dave1Dave1 Senior Member Winter Springs, FlaPosts: 157 Deckhand
    At your suggestion I found/bought some of the Mojo Crillio marinade (at Publix) and will try it next time I plan a cook of boneless pork ribs on the BGE. It sounds good. Makin' me hungry.

Dave
  • PopeyePopeye Banned 82L 28LPosts: 14,291 AG
    Flash, Those look great! By the looks of that Smoker, You do some smoking. Im, gonna find myself some.
  • FlashFlash Senior Member Chiefland/Cedar KeyPosts: 12,488 AG
    Dave1 wrote: »
    At your suggestion I found/bought some of the Mojo Crillio marinade (at Publix) and will try it next time I plan a cook of boneless pork ribs on the BGE. It sounds good. Makin' me hungry.

Dave

My favorite for it is Beef, Pork is second best.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
    Popeye wrote: »
    Flash, Those look great! By the looks of that Smoker, You do some smoking. Im, gonna find myself some.

LOL, I have thought of cleaning it at times, but afraid it might fall apart. Not sure whether to use Grease Lightening or Gunk Engine Cleaner :grin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• PopeyePopeye Banned 82L 28LPosts: 14,291 AG
    Dont clean it! Its seasoned!
    Popeye wrote: »
    Dont clean it! Its seasoned!

LOL, your right. I probably got over a dozen seasons in there by now :grin

Oh and to add, I forgot to say that the last 1/2 hour of the smoke, I removed the short ribs from the pan and place them on the grates to firm up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Dave1Dave1 Senior Member Winter Springs, FlaPosts: 157 Deckhand
    Flash

What cut of beef would be good for a shorter cook after the Mojo Crillo marinade??

Thanks, Dave
    Dave1 wrote: »
    Flash

What cut of beef would be good for a shorter cook after the Mojo Crillo marinade??

Thanks, Dave

How short are you wanting? These short ribs were only 4 hours. We did a Beef Chuck Underblade awhile back that was only around 2 hours. Skirt Steak would be another short smoke. Remember if you get too short of time, your meat will not get much smoke flavor.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Don't want to speak out of turn before Flash, I would ask you to try a tri-tip steak. The tri-tip is a over looked cut. It's a primal cut so there are only two per cow. They range in weight from 2.5 - 3.5 each. Since its ofter over looked they grind it up. I think Flash said he'd rolled the beef ribs for 4+ hours since it's a steak/roast cut just do just like he said with mojo and maybe 1 hour on the smoker and finish on grill, if you didn't count the marinating time it could be on your plate in 1 1/2 hours. You don't see many tri-tips around here, I found out about them when living in Napa. Don't pay too much $ for the tri-tip it should cost about the same as whole sirloin and DONT BUY ANGUS!

Then slice it for service like you would do with a flank or london broil.
    Don't want to speak out of turn before Flash, I would ask you to try a tri-tip steak. The tri-tip is a over looked cut. It's a primal cut so there are only two per cow. They range in weight from 2.5 - 3.5 each. Since its ofter over looked they grind it up. I think Flash said he'd rolled the beef ribs for 4+ hours since it's a steak/roast cut just do just like he said with mojo and maybe 1 hour on the smoker and finish on grill, if you didn't count the marinating time it could be on your plate in 1 1/2 hours. You don't see many tri-tips around here, I found out about them when living in Napa. Don't pay too much $ for the tri-tip it should cost about the same as whole sirloin and DONT BUY ANGUS!

Then slice it for service like you would do with a flank or london broil.

No problem TC. I am not sure we see that cut here much. Isn't this the triangular shaped piece of meat? I have looked and looked for it. Another great piece is the Flat Iron Steak. Also rarely seen here. Will see if we can run across it at the Harvey Stores in Georgia on our trip to NC in the Fall.
    Eye of Round is another one he might want to try. Never takes long due to me removing them at 135º internal. We slice them very thin, then run the meat thru Au Jus, then on a hoagie roll with pepper, onions and cheese. Very good.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

LOL! The power of the moderator.
    LOL! The power of the moderator.