Skip to main content
Home Sportsman's Kitchen

Venison Jerky

rrbgttrrbgtt Senior MemberMims, FLPosts: 6,758 Admiral
Just put my last pack of venison on the dehydrator. I should have jerky in time for my trip to GA on Friday to do a little scouting and figure out where I'm going to bowhunt opening weekend. It's going to be odd going to GA to hunt this year and having Rhonda with me. She never wanted to go before, but now that Garrett is there, I amagine she is going to tagging along quite a bit. I'll probably drink a little less, smoke fewer cigars, and eat a little better.

IMAG0072.jpg
From hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee. Ye damned bobcat!

Replies

• AbelmanAbelman Senior Member Mile High, USAPosts: 1,853 Captain
    Looks great, hope to be doing the same thing with Elk in the near future :applause
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem" Ronald Reagan 1985
  • got ants?got ants? Banned Banana RepublicPosts: 9,139 Admiral
    I had an old neighbor bag a 12 pointer up in PA, and he made some great venison jerky. I used to trade him snook and lobster fer it. He has since moved back up there, I gotta make a call and get him to send some down.
  • CowtownAnglerCowtownAngler Member Posts: 33 Greenhorn
    That looks good. I put my jerky in the smoker for a couple of hours and then use the dehydrator to dry them out. I think it's much tastier that way.
  • rrbgttrrbgtt Senior Member Mims, FLPosts: 6,758 Admiral
    That looks good. I put my jerky in the smoker for a couple of hours and then use the dehydrator to dry them out. I think it's much tastier that way.

I used to do the same thing, till I discovered liquid smoke.
    From hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee. Ye damned bobcat!
  • pointerDixie214pointerDixie214 Senior Member Posts: 5,658 Admiral
    rrbgtt wrote: »
    I used to do the same thing, till I discovered liquid smoke.

Man, I just cried a little at this.

Venison jerky is amazing stuff. Looks like you did a good job cutting it. I always get mine too cold to cut, and then wait until its not cold enough, so my cuts are never as thin and even as those. Nice work. Shame to throw liquid smoke on it... lol
    "Her beauty radiated like a beacon from a lighthouse!" - Buddy McCoy :hail
  • ruskinredneckruskinredneck Senior Member Tampa, Little Gasparilla Island, ChassahowitzkaPosts: 1,121 Officer
    This is the recipe I use (from "Good Eats")...

Alton Brown’s Beef Jerky

Ingredients
    • 1 1/2 to 2 pounds flank steak
    • 2/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
    • 2/3 cup soy sauce
    • 1 tablespoon honey
    • 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
    • 2 teaspoons onion powder
    • 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
    • 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    • Special Equipment: 1 box fan, 4 paper air-conditioning filters, and 2 bungee cords
    Directions
    Trim the flank steak of any excess fat, place in a zip-top bag, and place it in the freezer for 1 to 2 hours in order to firm up.
    Remove the steak from the freezer and thinly slice the meat with the grain, into long strips.
    Place the strips of meat along with all of the remaining ingredients into a large, 1-gallon plastic zip-top bag and move around to evenly distribute all of the ingredients. Place the bag into the refrigerator for 3 to 6 hours.
    Remove the meat from the brine and pat dry. Evenly distribute the strips of meat onto 3 of the air filters, laying them in the grooves and then stacking the filters on top of one another. Top these with 1 empty filter. Next, lay the box fan on its side and lay the filters on top of it. Strap the filters to the fan with 2 bungee cords. Stand the fan upright, plug in and set to medium. Allow the meat dry for 8 to 12 hours. If using a commercial dehydrator, follow the manufacturer's directions.
    Once dry, store in a cool dry place, in an airtight container for 2 to 3 months.

I don't do the fan and filter method. I have a Nesco dehydrator that I use and love. If I do it in the smoker, I eliminate the Liquid Smoke. It is hard to eat store bought after eating this, but this recipe NEVER lasts long.