Home Off Topic

Worst business to be in?

altuckaltuck TallahasseePosts: 322 Deckhand
All this talk about restaurants got me to thinking.
I know a good restaurant can make good money, (although you have to live your life there), but it still has to be one of the toughest businesses in the world. So dependent on hired help, and planning how much to prepare for today's crowd, (too much, waste money, too little run out, unhappy customers)
I put the restaurant business right up there with dairy farming of things I would not want to do for a living!

Replies

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 15,325 AG
    I worked in Restaurants for years.  Corporate trainer and KM at outback steakhouse, opened 2 restaurants.  owned my own restaurant from 2007-2008.  I can tell you it's the absolute worst business to be in if you want a life, or are married.  If you're single and an alcoholic it's the place for you.  Everyone is on drugs.   everyone sleeps with everyone.  As an owner you work 100hrs a week 7 days a week.   
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
  • OGFOGF Posts: 1,121 Officer
    I do not want to work at the CVS pharmacy... Always a mad house at my CVS. Long lines, super slow, always insurance problems.
  • poncedoradoponcedorado Posts: 523 Officer
    I remember an episode of dirty jobs where they were shoveling animal poo at a zoo and the employee/guest was like oh yeah this is the job everyone wants (as opposed to tickets, concessions, or tours) - we'd way rather deal with the poo than the people
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,901 Admiral
    After just turning 65 years old and being in the air conditioning service business since I was 15 working for my dad after school and my own business since 1986 I can tell you from my experience the three worst businesses to be in. In my opinion.

Restaurants, I know because they never pay their bills or have any money and are ready to eat a bullet, roofing business because you can't hire anyone and everyday is an emergency, third is my industry. Air conditioning. Everybody wants you right now, there is no scheduling. The customer will just call the first person that will show up. We live and operate on an instant gratification type of business.
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 8,726 Admiral
    Altuck your right restaurants is the worst.  My wife worked at holiday inn food and beverage for over 20 yrs.

She said employee theft was the worst.  She had to keep up with the inventory every week.
  • Kayak_PeteKayak_Pete Posts: 139 Deckhand
    Mike Rowe on cleaning septic tanks --  "Not a job where you'd want to chew your fingernails"
    2014 Hobie Sport
  • OkgolferOkgolfer Posts: 47 Deckhand
    Newspaper or law enforcement 
  • gogittumgogittum SW New MexicoPosts: 1,984 Captain
    Modern day school teacher.
  • King_MeKing_Me Delray Beach, FLPosts: 6,996 Admiral
     Everyone is on drugs.   everyone sleeps with everyone.  
    I worked part-time at a restaurant called Houston's in Boca in the early 90's, I can confirm this  :D
  • zimmy4209zimmy4209 Ocala FloridaPosts: 1,331 Officer
    I've got a good buddy from school owns a dairy farm. Gotta say I admire what he does but he's also got anything and everything he's ever wanted in life. Granted they are one of largest on all of the east coast(even own a farm in Colorado with 10,000+ milk cows). 
    I worked there few years out of high school there ticket to success is they have a rabbi that lives on site of the milk parlor and all there milk is sold for kosher rates. It goes for 3-4 times what regular milk goes for. Oh ya I forgot to mention he owns 10,000 acres of the most prime time whitetail habitat anyone could dream of. Winning!!
  • zimmy4209zimmy4209 Ocala FloridaPosts: 1,331 Officer
    I worked in Restaurants for years.  Corporate trainer and KM at outback steakhouse, opened 2 restaurants.  owned my own restaurant from 2007-2008.  I can tell you it's the absolute worst business to be in if you want a life, or are married.  If you're single and an alcoholic it's the place for you.  Everyone is on drugs.   everyone sleeps with everyone.  As an owner you work 100hrs a week 7 days a week.   
    Kind of an odd question but do you recall who manufactured your walk in coolers at outback? Maybe American Panel?
  • jetmech2jetmech2 Panhandle Posts: 1,136 Officer
    Wow! Reading through all of this my job as a piano player in a cat house doesn’t seem so bad now!🤔
    zimmy4209 said:
    Kind of an odd question but do you recall who manufactured your walk in coolers at outback? Maybe American Panel?
    No idea, but i know the units they put in to cool were total garbage.  Cheapest POS on the planet.  As soon as the techs left they had problems.  we called repairs on their walk ins at least once a month.  
    King_Me said:
     Everyone is on drugs.   everyone sleeps with everyone.  
    I worked part-time at a restaurant called Houston's in Boca in the early 90's, I can confirm this  :D
    Do you remember Bones?  the BBQ place on Federal?   IDK why they went out of business they were good.  I worked at a little place called Mama Giovannas for a while when i was about 14 making bread and salad for $4 an hr under the table.   
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 36,898 AG
    Worst job would be a janitor at a strip club.

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 8,726 Admiral
    one of the male p o r n stars got killed in a motorcycle wreck about 3 days ago.  He was a working son of a gun only 29 y.o. and already made 700 films.  One of the women died too from breast cancer.  She had made 600 films.
  • TheMelManTheMelMan SoWeGAPosts: 721 Officer
    AC Man said:
    After just turning 65 years old and being in the air conditioning service business since I was 15 working for my dad after school and my own business since 1986 I can tell you from my experience the three worst businesses to be in. In my opinion.

Restaurants, I know because they never pay their bills or have any money and are ready to eat a bullet, roofing business because you can't hire anyone and everyday is an emergency, third is my industry. Air conditioning. Everybody wants you right now, there is no scheduling. The customer will just call the first person that will show up. We live and operate on an instant gratification type of business.
    Wanna know where an AC man can make a killing these days?  Out West.  They are all needing ACs now and nobody has one in their home.  This heat wave out west is a prime opportunity..........get busy ;)
    GOOGLE:  Helping Totalitarian Governments Control their populations with Surveillance,  Suppression of information, speech and ideas, now bringing Totalitarian ideas to the US.   Thanks but no thanks!
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 14,331 Moderator
    cadman said:
    Maybe. All the blow you wanted would be a benefit.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• MelbourneMarkMelbourneMark Posts: 2,780 Captain
    cadman said:
    Maybe. All the blow you wanted would be a benefit.
    He said janitor not fluffer 
  • King_MeKing_Me Delray Beach, FLPosts: 6,996 Admiral
    King_Me said:

Do you remember Bones?  the BBQ place on Federal?   IDK why they went out of business they were good.  I worked at a little place called Mama Giovannas for a while when i was about 14 making bread and salad for $4 an hr under the table.   
    Yes, remember Bones.  It was quiet popular back then, was kind of weird that they suddenly went out of business.   Was/is Mama Giovannas on Federal hwy too?  We use to go to real good Italian place in Boca on Fed. hwy., forgot the name of it.
    King_Me said:
    King_Me said:

Yes, remember Bones.  It was quiet popular back then, was kind of weird that they suddenly went out of business.   Was/is Mama Giovannas on Federal hwy too?  We use to go to real good Italian place in Boca on Fed. hwy., forgot the name of it.
    It was on 20th street where the little surf shop was.   Very close to the intersection of Federal and 20th.   Crazy how i lived there for 7 years moved to central FL.  And my daughter ended up working at that publix while going to FAU.  
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 14,344 AG
    jetmech2 said:
    Wow! Reading through all of this my job as a piano player in a cat house doesn’t seem so bad now!🤔
    I had the “ don’t tell my parents I work in the oilfield, they think I’m a piano player in a who, oops, cat house” bumper sticker on my truck in the early 80s. 
        My grandparents didn’t really care for it.
    Can someone start a best business to be in thread i need ideas.   Wife is kicking around the idea of starting a business which i am against but i might as well see what jobs are good. 
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 14,344 AG
    Can someone start a best business to be in thread i need ideas.   Wife is kicking around the idea of starting a business which i am against but i might as well see what jobs are good. 
    Pool cleaning. 
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 14,331 Moderator
    Start one up. 

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• poncedoradoponcedorado Posts: 523 Officer
    Anyone here have any experience in the bait shop business? Seems like that'd be very tough, and our couple shops where we are seem to change owners every few years.

I just can't imagine how many shrimp and baitfish they can possibly sell at $4-$8 a dozen to make any kind of meaningful revenue. Especially considering most weekdays are probably slow and days with crap weather they likely won't get a single customer.
  • GardawgGardawg The Sportfishing Capital Of The WorldPosts: 12,229 AG

"Forgiveness is a strange thing. It can be sometimes easier to forgive our enemies than our friends. It can be hardest of all to forgive people we love." Fred Rogers  
  • GardawgGardawg The Sportfishing Capital Of The WorldPosts: 12,229 AG
    Skip Tracer or 

Repo Man would be lousy jobs to have.

"Forgiveness is a strange thing. It can be sometimes easier to forgive our enemies than our friends. It can be hardest of all to forgive people we love." Fred Rogers  
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 4,348 Captain
    Being a cop in a big city would suck donkey nutz right about now.

Commercial fishing (real commercial fishing, including bait fishing) can be exciting, fun, and rewarding but it's seriously demanding on your body and life. It usually burns people out way before you might imagine.