Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast Fishing Reports

1st keys trip

Tony RomaTony Roma Posts: 1,046 Officer
rented a house on marathon for a week with our friends. Buddy drug his 21 seapro down to see if we could put some easy deep water fish in the cooler, Mother Nature had different plans. Took the family’s out to the sand bar for a few hours then dropped off the nonfishers. About 3 miles out it got real sloppy for a 21 foot bay boat and once we hit the drop off It got 5 ft and scary, tucked tail and ran back the the reef and was able to notch the yellow tail off my list. Caught a few grunts and we all agreed it wasn’t worth getting beat to death. The rest of the week the wind never let up. 25 mph almost every day. Hired a charter, 40 ft Daytona , cabin , head , AC. He got us out to 600 ft, was able to put us on 14 dolphin and 2 blackfin, notch those of my list. Went home with 3 gallons off fillets and heavy dose of sea legs. Capt. Mike Mason with time out charters out of Islamorada, 1st mate Justin taught us a ton. All and all has s great time out there, went to the southmost point, pet Hemingway’s cat, fed the tarpon and Robbies. But d a m it’s nice to be home. 

Replies

• RedactionRedaction Posts: 1,722 Captain
    Sounds like a good time...that wind in the Keys get's everyone sooner or later. 
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 15,325 AG
    I had the same week back in June when i went.   we made the most of what we could do on the bay side.   Mangos mostly.  and houndfish.   You always hope for the best on the way down then make the most of what you get when you arrive.   
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
  • BottomBumpinBottomBumpin Jax BeachPosts: 1,744 Captain
    always a dice roll but sounds like you got a few good ones and some lessons from the locals is priceless for your next trips!  crossing the fingers for min season...
  • StankBaitStankBait Posts: 413 Deckhand
    Bet the day you pulled the boat out to head home it was slick as glass. That's how it worked for me every time I went down there.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 15,325 AG
    StankBait said:
    Bet the day you pulled the boat out to head home it was slick as glass. That's how it worked for me every time I went down there.
    usually it is!  If we go back next year, i believe we are going to try and go in August/September.   
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
  • Tony RomaTony Roma Posts: 1,046 Officer
    StankBait said:
    Yup , entire week , max winds 10 mph and low 1 ft. The mate on the charter said it has been an odd summer, wind has been blowing , current has been ripping in the stream and no large defined weed lines. We spent the entire day fishing birds. Captain worked hard to get us that meat. 
  • Nautical wheelerNautical wheeler Posts: 90 Deckhand
    We were there June 26-3, the first 4 days sucked, wind and rain constantly, then Thursday/Friday we got chamber of commerce weather. Out of Cudjoe bay we ran on plane (21’CC) all the way to 600’, the weed line was there, got plenty and of 23-26” in no time. Friday ,same thing and that night we got snapper  and yellowtail in 75’. We left Saturday with the usual beautiful weather on the way out. We always go in June after the kids get out of school. I have found that June offers some of the best fishing, the Dolphin are on fire offshore and inshore the snapper are spawning, and there are still some Tarpon and Permit around. Normally, the winds have eased up (not these last three years though) and hurricane season is not yet fired up like it is in August/September when they line up one after the other one. But like everyone else has posted here, it’s really a crap shoot with the winds / rains when you don’t have 43’ Everglades. 
    PS, I know nobody on this forum does it, but if you’re one of those $@%¥ that has to slam on their brakes as soon as you get to Barnes Sound, whether your coming or specially leaving the Keys to look at the boaters and jet skiers in the pretty water causing a huge traffic jam, STOP IT. You’ve been in the frigging Keys all week, you’ve already seen/swam in the pretty water, just drive and go home, some of us have to drive to Jacksonville or even further north. I bet this bothers others besides me. Lol.
  • SeagypsySeagypsy Atlantic beach Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    Sounds a lot like our trip to marathon last year in sept! We ended up extending our trip by 1 day once there  because of course the day we originally planned to leave it was forecasted to finally lay down. And it did! At least we got one dream keys day out of our week there :)