Skip to main content
Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Novices need fishing guidance please

Hello, we are two novice fishermen, and are members of Freedome Boat Club, where we use small fishing boats and go out locally with our WalMart rods and some tackle, but our efforts have borne little fruit since we don't really know what we are doing and where to do it...

Ideally we would attend a local class where we could learn better about tackle, bait, and where to go locally, but we are not aware of classes...

Otherwise, we are interested in hiring a teacher, mentor, guide, whatever to give us a few hours lesson either on land or on our boat.  If anyone has any suggestions or referrals, please share.

thanks in advance.

J

Replies

• Aquaholic IVAquaholic IV Posts: 1,047 Officer
    First, I recommend hiring a local fishing guide from the area you fish, it will be the best investment you can make and you will learn so much.  If you are from the Treasure Coast, Jupiter/Stuart/Jensen Beach/Ft. Pierce area, I invite you to the Stuart Rod and Reel Club.  We meet the second Thursday of each month, 6:00 p.m. (no meeting in August or December) at Pirates Cove in Stuart.  Membership is not required to attend the meetings although the purchase of a dinner, $20.00 CASH is required which is for an entree, side, soft drink, tax and tip.  Every meeting we have a guest speaker (guides/bait shop owners/marine biologists/restaurant chefs that prepare fish/among other related topics), and also a raffle for fishing related items.  It is a great group.  If you are not from this area, most areas have fishing clubs that are very informative and you can meet others to fish with that might have more knowledge of fishing than you.  Bass Pro Shops and West Marine also have fishing clinics that you could look into.  Hopefully this assists you.  
  • bmoodybmoody Posts: 1,012 Officer
    You can get a guide to go on "your" boat -- EMoney is the user name here of someone that was a regular at that service and is/was well respected.  I hired him as a bday present to myself once for a refresher on mutton snapper fishing.  There are others that offer this service too.

The West Palm Beach fishing club is an option.  However, no lecture is going to compare to hands on experience.

Inviting experienced anglers as your guests could also be a path to learning more.  Be upfront -- don't expect them to bring anything other than own tackle and experience.
  • KnotikoKnotiko Posts: 71 Deckhand
    As mentioned above, hiring a local captain to either come on your boat or take you out on their boat is a great way to gain experience and have a glimpse into what they do and how they do it.

If you are in the Fort Pierce area I would recommend Pulling Drag Charters with Captian Bo Samuels.  He is a young captain who fishes out of a bay boat style vessel and fishes inshore, near shore, and offshore.  

If you are in the jensen beach stuart area I would recommend Tighten Up Fishing with Captain Jesse Berry.  Again fishes out of a bay boat and fishes inshore, near shore, and offshore. 

I would tell either what you are looking for and I am sure that they will be more than happy to assist. 

Hope this helps!

Ian Osking
  • MissedMissed O-townPosts: 653 Officer
    You've got plenty of moxie trying to make it happen.  It does depend on what you want to catch - hiring a guide is a good way to go.  Tell em you want to learn how to fish and see some places you can go without stealing any of their secret spots.  Then ask em questions and listen to the answers - those guys know what they are talking about and the fish you catch when with them will prove it.
  • troutbomtroutbom Posts: 409 Deckhand
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/mike-haines-8376576b

If you are in or near Jupiter call Capt Mike Haines. Tell him old guy who fishes Flamingo sent you. He's exactly what you are looking for. 
  • GettnreddyGettnreddy Posts: 130 Deckhand
    Or if hiring a guide is not for you, which is highly recommended. Pay attention to some of the previous reports. My wife and I just spent a week in Stuart and a week or so before we went I payed attention to reports posted to see what was happening. We ended up catching snook everyday, the biggest a 34". Most were 24 to 30". Also a few Tarpon.
    Thank you to aquaholic for great reporting. Although we didnt catch any drag screamers.
    Or if hiring a guide is not for you, which is highly recommended. Pay attention to some of the previous reports. My wife and I just spent a week in Stuart and a week or so before we went I payed attention to reports posted to see what was happening. We ended up catching snook everyday, the biggest a 34". Most were 24 to 30". Also a few Tarpon.
    Thank you to aquaholic for great reporting. Although we didnt catch any drag screamers.
    Thank you for the kind words, I'm glad my reports helped you.  34" Snook should have been a drag screamer along with Tarpon, although I use light rods.  Shout out next time you are in the area, where are you from?
    I thought by drag screamer you we're referring to black drum.
    Yes it was a drag screamer on light tackle, 15# braid.
    We are in satellite beach. An hour and a half away.
    Yes, the Black Drum are drag screamers but so are the Snook and also the Tarpon.  I have to put some "drama" in my fishing reports and start with a "Catchy" title, pun intended.  Satellite Beach should have some great fishing in the Mosquito Lagoon?  I was considering moving further north towards that area.  Lake Ocheecobee discharges have killed all our seagrass and trout are non existent.  

Yes, the Black Drum are drag screamers but so are the Snook and also the Tarpon.  I have to put some "drama" in my fishing reports and start with a "Catchy" title, pun intended.  Satellite Beach should have some great fishing in the Mosquito Lagoon?  I was considering moving further north towards that area.  Lake Ocheecobee discharges have killed all our seagrass and trout are non existent.  

Yes, we fish as much as possible and fishing is pretty good here.trout to 29"
    38" black drum on 8# mono
    That was a drag screamer. Reds to 32"
    Jack Crevalle to 30#s and 100+# tarpon. All fish released unharmed. Yes I would say fishing is pretty good here in satellite beach. 
    Both Jack and tarpon were off the beach.
    I like the catchy title puns. I'm not that creative. Lol.
  • jordfidjordfid Pompano Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    thanks all for your input, referrals, etc.

We are in the Pompano/Lighthouse Point/Boca area...

:)

J
    jordfid said:

J
    Check out the Hollywood Sport Fishing Club and I'm sure there are some fishing clubs in the Pompano area.  You might also post on the South section of the forum which is more relevant to your area.  
  • b1gdog83b1gdog83 Posts: 289 Deckhand
    jordfid said:

I'd be happy to assist I have helped people out to get started like you. I post regularly in the South Section of this forum if you want to check out some of my catches.  My area is Pompano to Boynton Beach. message me if you are interested  
  • IAMSECONDIAMSECOND Moved to PB County on 7/5/18Posts: 93 Deckhand
    I belong to FBC as well, moved to PBC in 2018 and knew very little about offshore fishing. In the last year we have landed sailfish, blue Marlin, were 6 oz out of money in the KDW Riveria Beach tourney this year in the Mahi category and have many great days on the water. Private Message me and let’s talk. More than I can put in a message. If you commit to learning, then success is possible.
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 11,035 AG
    PING @ProfessorO in the south section he has a monthly meeting with like minded anglers, you might even hook up with some locals and share expenses and learn a few things
    good luck

also @emoney is another great idea