Skip to main content
Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Scallops

Has anyone been to the Steinhatchee or Keaton beach area to scallop? Are they there in any numbers?

Replies

• plumber1969plumber1969 Senior Member Posts: 387 Deckhand
    I saw the numbers on opening day of ARS (6/4/21) when we were returning to Steinhatchee. They were pretty thinck to the south. I just did some prospecting, killing time, and they were there. 
    2019 Frontier 2014 
  • permit_mepermit_me Senior Member Tampa Bay areaPosts: 1,197 Officer
    red tide has been creeping north and is already in pasco county. probably already impacting the scallops down Anclote way. i wonder if they'll close pasco down for their brief season?
  • SlackerSlacker Senior Member Homosassa, JaxPosts: 1,809 Captain
    edited June 2021 #4
    sea **** pics indicate a pretty good picture and the size looked good
  • NobelNobel Junior Member ALTAMONTE SPRINGSPosts: 82 Deckhand
    edited June 2021 #5
    We went twice opening week and heard some reports from others.  General summary was scallops are bigger to south, but a little less abundant, at least in the spots i normally go to.   Very plentiful to the north, but lots of really small ones.  So small that i probably passed up on 50-100 scallops due to their size.   Each day we managed our 5 gallon limit with the kids, but it took a little while.     
  • capt louiecapt louie Moderator citrus countyPosts: 10,851 Moderator
    Nobel said:
    We went twice opening week and heard some reports from others.  General summary was scallops are bigger to south, but a little less abundant, at least in the spots i normally go to.   Very plentiful to the north, but lots of really small ones.  So small that i probably passed up on 50-100 scallops due to their size.   Each day we managed our 5 gallon limit with the kids, but it took a little while.     
    Thanks for the report. Hopefully the small ones will keep getting passed over so can gain some size.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Proline2357Proline2357 Member Posts: 64 Deckhand
    Thanks guys, looks a little more promising this year.
  • fla crackerfla cracker Member Posts: 187 Deckhand
    edited July 2021 #8
    We just returned from three days of scalloping at Steinhatchee. Day 1 we went north a few miles until we found the fleet in about 2 1/2 to 3 feet of water.  We got a bit of a late start and we were chased in by lightning about 1pm.  We moved one time to a bit deeper water and were able to get a five gallon limit before the storm.  There were lot of small ones and we decided to try south on day 2.  Day 2 we got out again somewhat late and went about 4 miles or so south to the northern edge of the fleet.  Immediately, we noticed that the scallops were consistently larger but not quite as many.  We were able to again get a 5 gallon limit and this time cleared the water before the storm hit.  We were staying about a 40 minute slow ride up the river!  Day 3 was our last day and we got out a good hour to hour and half earlier, hoping to get out 10 gallon limit (July 1st).  We decided to go south again and went about five miles south and beat the fleet there!  We anchored in about 3 feet of water and in less than three hours we limited out.  Again, mostly larger scallops than found on day 1 to the north.  Wouldn't you know it, it never until late afternoon. 

• SlackerSlacker Senior Member Homosassa, JaxPosts: 1,809 Captain
    made some great memories
  • capt louiecapt louie Moderator citrus countyPosts: 10,851 Moderator
    Thanks for the report !
    "You'll get your weather"
  • xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Senior Member Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,981 Captain
    very nice!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski Senior Member GrovelandPosts: 16,641 AG
    launching in the morning going to head north out of Weekie Wachie probably to the Chazz or Homosassa.   
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
  • Quad32xQuad32x Member Ocala , FloridaPosts: 480 Deckhand
    launching in the morning going to head north out of Weekie Wachie probably to the Chazz or Homosassa.   

How did you end up doing ?
  • FishfearmeFishfearme Crystal riverPosts: 10 Deckhand
    been out pretty much every day except for a few of the stormy or days they were smaller at first but they're getting better I noticed that they're not really in the grass as much they're in other select areas pretty crazy dodging storms lately though hope everybody else is doing great