Skip to main content
Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

Tarpon

Coming back to 10K after a few really hot weeks out west. Anybody seeing any Bigger tarpon? 

Replies

• lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,773 Captain
    My angler yesterday got a fifty pound fish on fly in a river near the Little Shark and we saw a few a bit bigger… In the areas south of Lostman’s we usually expect the bigger fish to begin showing during July with the numbers gradually building as we move into August…. 

September, then October can be as good as it gets along the coast in that area.  I’m certain that they’re the same along the entire 10K, but we’re mostly to the south when we’re aiming for tarpon….
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 1,847 Captain
    Yes... If circumstances are correct. These onshore winds have made it a bit difficult! 
    Jason :USA
  • Paucan6005Paucan6005 Port of the islandsPosts: 95 Deckhand
    Thanks. That’s a bit of a run for me from the port. Hoping for a few reports of fish above pavilion or below dismal key
    Thanks. That’s a bit of a run for me from the port. Hoping for a few reports of fish above pavilion or below dismal key
    I have seen fish from round key north to marco. I typically dont go any further south then round key when launching from calusa.
  • chettychetty SWFLPosts: 1 Greenhorn
    Last weekend I was seeing decent poons rolling on the inside of pavilion. 
    Thanks Cherry thanks encouraging! I am appreciate it.
  • CaptjamesCaptjames Pompano BeachPosts: 231 Deckhand
    I saw several tarpon around pavillion about a month ago........they weren't big, they were around 30-40 lbs.
    Thanks Chetty and Capt James
    appreciate the intel
    hoping the bigguns are on their way to us. Braving the heat and humidity to hammer it for 3 days :6 guys 3 boats 
  • BobberreduxBobberredux Posts: 56 Deckhand
    Dark hours. Any pass mouth C o o n Key down to Indian. Bottom half of the faller. Anchor up 6-8' just out of the current.
    Half a fresh lady fish with 1/2-1oz sinker with 8/0-10/0 circle pitched out from your boat, Use a split shot to keep the lead off the hook on a 80-100lb leader. Let Rodney hook her up, then battle her in on at least a 30lb mono rig. **** near a sure thing this time of year.
    Thanks Bobberredux 
    great tip!
    my group will be chasing poons with fly rods but maybe if the fishing is slow they might want to switch things up. 
    Any input as to spotting the bigger sardines will help me narrow down the search window.( understanding that they do move around quite a bit !)
    Was checking Marco beach for bait on the 3rd. Didnt find cast net worthy bait but seen a bunch of fish braking the water by the rock piles. Went over to grab a few lady fish to put on the big poles for tarpon. Buddy throwing a 5" z man jerk baits says "Hey theres a tarpon" as the fish rolls onto his bait......I just said hold on this is gonna take awhile. 2 hours and 5 miles off shore of Marco it finally popped the braid when my bud thought he could hand drag the spool and stop him.
    Wasted 2 hours of my morning bite LOL 
    Great to hear! Maybe there a few big ones working their way down the coast. Thanks for the report,  bad luck about breaking her off . Happens quite a bit... surprising how big fish have more patience than us mere mortals