Skip to main content
Home Boating

Drainage while trailered?

AaronCannonAaronCannon MemberNorthwest ArkansasPosts: 1,021 Officer
edited June 2021 in Boating #1
My driveway has more slope than i thought 😆 

Even with an uncomfortable amount of block under the maxedout tongue jack, and the 1st axel spinning freely off the ground, i still have an inch or so of water in the bilge that wont drain naturally.

The 1st bunk is disappointing and that scar...
Ive got to get a roller or short bunks up here i think, but can a roller support this weight on a constant basis?
The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.
Jeff Cooper

Replies

• lemaymiamilemaymiami Senior Member Posts: 4,773 Captain
    As long as your trailer setup rides well on the road - and comes off and back on the trailer properly... I wouldn't change a thing... My own driveway has more slope than that.  When I'm washing my rig or need to drain it out properly for one reason or other I simply leave it hooked up to my truck - then drive my rig up onto the driveway instead of backing it in to allow it to drain.... Even if you do have a bit of water in your bilge at all times - what's the problem?  Concerned about algae or mosquitoes in the bilge area - add a cup of bleach every third or fourth trip.. 

This from a guy who tows an average of 20,000 miles a year and has learned all of his trailer maintenance the hard way over many years... I'm only towing a single axle rig - much smaller than what you have but that's my take on it... By the way I like that quote from Jeff Cooper... 

"Aren't boats fun?"
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • gogittumgogittum Nature CoastPosts: 3,679 Captain
    On both of my little tin boats, the drain plug opening is about 1/2" - 3/4" above the floor, so it can't completely drain.  Maybe yours is the same.....??  For mine, a sponge is the only answer.
  • AaronCannonAaronCannon Member Northwest ArkansasPosts: 1,021 Officer
    So its not an issue with a raised plug, the way the boat sits on the trailer leaves forward bilge lower than rear. Has pumps for both, but id like it to gravity drain.
    And the bow resting on that 1st crossmember, i dont think 1 4x4 with green carpet is the best solution, but gonna have to find hd roller, or...
    The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.
    Jeff Cooper
  • Widespread PanicWidespread Panic Senior Member Mason CreekPosts: 233 Deckhand
    Long piece of rag in the bilge, out the drain and hanging down a few inches. It should wick out. 
    I love the lines of your boat.  She's a beauty.
    gogittum said:
    I love the lines of your boat.  She's a beauty.
    Thanks.
    Bit of a pocket express i think
    Jeff Cooper
    No, riding on the cross member isn't good.  I'd be unhappy with the damage, too, but that's a lot of weight and will likely take more than one roller.  I think I'd be for taking it to a trailer mfr or welding shop that specializes in trailers and ask their opinion.
  • snookaffinitysnookaffinity Senior Member Naples, FLPosts: 1,298 Officer
    edited June 2021 #9
    I think you would be better off running two more bunks centered on each side of keel lengthwise of the trailer up to or just pass the front crossmember. Keep the weight off the keel.
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • GettnreddyGettnreddy Junior Member Satellite bch., floridaPosts: 130 Deckhand
    gogittum said:
    On both of my little tin boats, the drain plug opening is about 1/2" - 3/4" above the floor, so it can't completely drain.  Maybe yours is the same.....??  For mine, a sponge is the only answer.
    Or a wick of some sorts in the drain plug hole, in the bilge and hanging low enough to wick the water out.
  • CapnSkipCapnSkip East Central FloridaPosts: 58 Deckhand
    Use a long cloth type shoe lace and let it hang out of the drain hole. It will act as a wick and drain out any water it's laying in inside the bilge.
  • surfmansurfman Senior Member WC FLPosts: 6,017 Admiral
    I have a 24 WA and I bought it used. When I noticed the bottom of the V scratched up I at first thought the PO had just run up on the beach or something. Then one day after launching the boat I got to looking at the trailer. There were two large bunks that the boat rested on and a V guide in the front for the bow to rest on and that was it. The boat was literally hitting the axles when loading and unloading. I added rollers to the cross members, which I hate and don't like to rely on them and in addition I added another set of "bunks" on each side of the rollers to help keep the boat going down the middle. Without that it can jump off the roller and do even more damage. With that set up I don't even need the stupid guide ons that were on the trailer. The boat loads and unloads easily now and I took the guide ons off. The bottom line is that the trailer that the boat came with was not set up properly from the dealer.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
    Thats the general plan
    Jeff Cooper