Skip to main content
Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Tarpon Thurs 6/17

terdfergusonterdferguson Posts: 102 Deckhand
Netted bait at the gulf pier. Massive amounts of threadfins there.  First stop was bunces and fort desoto beaches.  The water was real dirty and it was all quiet.  Looked inside Egmont and didn't see anything there either.  Found a lot of fish further south.  Bean Point was loaded about a quarter mile out the channel and in a rarity, we had it to ourselves.  Hooked one big boy and fought it for a bit until he threw the hook on a jump next to the boat.  The guy I was with got seasick (no wind but big swell coming in from the gulf) so we moved to the skyway to try some chunking.  Saw fish, but no takers as the tide was dying.  Did get 3 gags though (20", 22", 28").

Replies

• releasegearreleasegear Posts: 929 Officer
    nice  work!! still haven't had a chance to tarpon fish
    Mike Wilhite

Born Offshore Gear
    www.bornoffshore.com

'Performance Fishing Apparel'
  • permit_mepermit_me Posts: 1,197 Officer
    good to hear there's bait around. i fished fished just north of IRB a bit the day before.  tons of fish, a mile plus offshore in 25 feet, moving south at rapid pace all morning long. That was the new moon, guess they were heading for the afternoon outgoing of the bay?  next day fish (mostly baitfish) were floating all the from IRB  to Clearwater and Honeymoon. We went down and ate lunch at Hog Island grill and there were fish floating.  
    for me its been another strange (strangest yet) season. Fish have been here since mid april, just stayed scattered and had to avoid those big deep holes they so like with water temps below 75 well into may. Weird front sat on us for 10 days.  Our first fish was in mid may and water temp was 74.5
    then memorial day weekend happened and fish seemed to scatter even more. i have not fished much this season so i did not get to see many patterns, except noticed fish ran beaches deeper than usual. and further out as well. never found big schools feeding, milling about nor not even one daisy chain.  Lots of boats/angler also. Looks like a better spell of weather coming up. hopefully the fish will return after the full moon this week. I need another few weeks to get my yayas out.