Skip to main content
Home Boating

Looking to buy a budget saltwater boat

patrick1patrick1 FLPosts: 7 Deckhand

Hi. I live in Tampa Bay area, Gulf Coast, FL. I am looking to buy a boat for few weeks now and having a hard time purchasing one. I would use it for fishing, chilling with my family and driving to nearby islands. A center console might not be too comfortable for my family members but I decided to broaden my search to a center console boat as well since it's so hard to find any dual console. I would prefer to stay below $15k as it will be my first boat and I want to get my feet wet before getting a newer boat that suits me well. I am very handy and my dad is a mechanic so I am sure we would be able to perform most repairs ourselves.

I found that a friend is selling a 1992 Aquasport 20' with Johnson 140hp rebuilt engine for $8k

Can't find too much information about it. Is it worth buying?

He has someone looking at it tomorrow morning so I would have to buy it today.

http://imgur.com/a/zZHM0t0

Other ones which are up for sell are:

1994 Renen 20' with 2001 Yamaha 200hp engine for $9k

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/341116860/14361/

1998 Angler 204 with rebuilt Suzuki 175hp engine for $15k
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/383047856335499/

1996 Pro Sports 20' with Mercury 135hp for $10k

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/3329193413791635/

Are any of these worth buying?

Thank you!

Replies

• 10kman10kman Senior Member Posts: 948 Officer
      Having bought and sold several boats over the
    years look at the motor first.Have a marine mechanic
    check out lower unit,compression,etc.
  • FlecFlec Senior Member Posts: 734 Officer
    Check out Xpress boats  You might be able to get a brand new boat in the 18 foot range for around $18K including trailer!. Worth a look online .  Xpressboats .com    
  • restlessnativerestlessnative Senior Member Tampa/Mason Creek/DamficarePosts: 3,010 Captain
    Bayliner should be #1 on your list.
  • AaronCannonAaronCannon Member Northwest ArkansasPosts: 1,021 Officer
    Dont get impatient, took me over a year of hunting whole southeast to find ours.
    Set the budget in a search and see what shakes out.
    The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.
    Jeff Cooper
  • surfmansurfman Senior Member WC FLPosts: 6,017 Admiral
    Check the boat for rot. A lot of older fiberglass boats used wood for their core material and if the fiberglass gets cracks and it will the wood starts to rot. a lot of times it is also due to people drilling holes to install stuff like a motor, or a depth sounder on the transom. walk around in the boat, does the deck fell soft or mushy. look carefully at the transom, are there cracks, can you rock the motor on the transom. Use a quarter and tap the transom with it, does it sound hollow?
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • BarrellBarrell Senior Member North Hutchinson/FPIPosts: 1,305 Officer
    1992, 1996, etc.  are almost 30 years old  There will probably be expensive problems.  Like surfman said the motor is the first thing to have checked by a certified mechanic not your father.  If the motor is given a clean bill of health then hire a surveyor to inspect the hull for serious wear and tear. decks, stringers, transomes are what kill a hull. 
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski Senior Member GrovelandPosts: 16,640 AG
    Budget boats are usually something you are going to buy for 7-15 grand and then put at least that much into fixing.   how do I know????   Bought my Sea Pro SV2100 3 years ago for 12500...  I've spent over 22000 on it so far not including rebuilding the trailer.    Will I get my money back?  No I won't.  
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
  • CaptjamesCaptjames Pompano BeachPosts: 231 Deckhand
    You want to get a new enough and quality enough boat in your price range, look for something like a Carolina skiff semi-v with a newer motor.  Easy to maintain, easy to use, newer than the 30 year old stuff you're looking at. 
  • Tony RomaTony Roma Senior Member Posts: 3,520 Captain
    Skip the budget boat. Don’t ask me how I know. Like soda said unless you are handy and can bring a 30 year old boat with a motor that most likely has 1,000 hours on it back to life. Trust is key with a boat and if you or your family don’t trust it you will never be able to use it to its potential. Don’t ask me how I know. 
    Tony Roma said:
    Skip the budget boat. Don’t ask me how I know. Like soda said unless you are handy and can bring a 30 year old boat with a motor that most likely has 1,000 hours on it back to life. Trust is key with a boat and if you or your family don’t trust it you will never be able to use it to its potential. Don’t ask me how I know. 
    a buddy of mine once made an analogy while we were working on an 84 Chevy Chevette that stuck with me.....

You can't pet a dead dog back to life.       
  • Tony RomaTony Roma Senior Member Posts: 3,520 Captain
    ^that should be in a fortune cookie
  • CaptJCaptJ Senior Member Key Largo (Mostly)/Miami(As little as possible)Posts: 1,809 Captain
    I've restored two old boats ('81 & '86) and both have superior ride to what's available today.
  • swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 4,670 Captain
    I love the lines on the old Aquasports but love can cause you to spend money you may never see again. “Two best days in a boat owners life, are the day they buy a boat and the day they sell the boat.” However boat ownership keeps us coming back for more. Good luck on your quest!
  • AaronCannonAaronCannon Member Northwest ArkansasPosts: 1,021 Officer
    Budget saltwater boat is called a kayak.
    The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.
    Jeff Cooper
  • pottydocpottydoc Senior Member Sea Plane CityPosts: 5,474 Admiral
    swampdog said:
    I love the lines on the old Aquasports but love can cause you to spend money you may never see again. “Two best days in a boat owners life, are the day they buy a boat and the day they sell the boat.” However boat ownership keeps us coming back for more. Good luck on your quest!
    I haven’t ever thought it was a good day when I watched my boat roll out of the driveway. It shortly got better though, because a new (to me) one was gonna be there shortly. 
    pottydoc said:
    swampdog said:
    I haven’t ever thought it was a good day when I watched my boat roll out of the driveway. It shortly got better though, because a new (to me) one was gonna be there shortly. 
    I agree the worst day was selling it.   Best day was using it!!   Trailering to the keys, or scalloping, or fishing tampa bay.  I love having my boat when i have time to use it.