Skip to main content
Home General Paddle Craft

Weather Apps ?

krashkrash Posts: 845 Officer
What do you use... "Android" phones.

I have always used an app called "Arcus", but back in December it stopped giving data, investigation lead me to the problem.. it was using on its back end the "Dark Sky " data... last year Apple purchased "Dark Sky" and soon after blocked Android  apps access to the database.
It was great and always accurate, now you iPhone user's 11 and up should have it integrated into apples weather app... but us android users are kicked out into darkness.. yet another reason I'm anti iXxxx anything.
Arcus would pop up with local weather (temp, wind, rain prediction for the hour, sunrise/sunset, moon phase) based on your gps location, but also let you choose a specific area and set that as a desired location and when selected it would within a few seconds give you pretty accurate data for wind/temp/rain.

I have found a new app that is very, very , similar to the Arcus app.. called Hyperlocal but it states that they were given access to Dark Sky database but only through the end of this year.

Ideally, for us fisher-people, we could dream for a single app that had weather including access to live radar, temperature, wind and tide data, if solunar information was available that would be a bonus.

Old Fugger who just likes to fish

Replies

• John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 4,137 Captain
    I just use windfinder, but I hear google has an app that combines data from multiple sites to come up with a good presentation.  I have not used it, but probably as good if not better than Apple.
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 16,008 AG
    Weather underground and the weather channel, which are the same company now, both use socially sourced data (local weather service, TV and people who register their home's weather station data feed).

I also use the weather and radar app and WeatherBug.
    Just dropping grenades in OT
  • krashkrash Posts: 845 Officer
    JM, I also use Windfinder for wind specific information.. 
    Just found a new app called App called Nautide.  Seems pretty good 
    Will check it.. actually the app I really liked "Arcus", came back online now called Hyperlocal Weather. Somehow they got access to the backend database but only for the rest on=f this year, then unless they find an alternative Apple will again shut them out.
    That just on IPhone?  can't find it in the Play Store (Android).  

Apple purchasing DarkSky screwed a lot of developers, including me.  It was the best option for historical data. 
    mplspug said:

Apple purchasing DarkSky screwed a lot of developers, including me.  It was the best option for historical data. 
    Apple's proprietary mentality sucks. They do make some great products, but I prefer Android.
    mplspug said:

Arcus was on Android, (Old Nexus phone, past its time but it still works)... Apple took DarkSks's IP and integrated that into its own weather app.. I think if you have i11 or i12 thats the backend used for the Apple weater app, can't say for sure not an iAnything user.
    Hyperlocal Weather, on Andriod, is close but not quiet as good as Arcus was. (thats my opinion and i'n sticking to it.

Downloaded the Nautide the verdict is still out on it..
    Yeah the Nautide interface is a little busy.
    The Nautide app. what little use time I've looked at it.. has a lot of good information, but seems like you have to pick a location which is good for planning a trip and a quick peek before you leave the house.
    Tried yet another app called Fish Weather.. similar data as Nautide, lots of it, rather busy screen.
    You have to pick a location, Bouy or Weather station  locations, to get a report for.

It has ad's and keep prompting for you to upgrade. I selected a location and it prompts that I must be a gold or pro $$ member to access that data.
    Done, deleted.
    krash said:
    Tried yet another app called Fish Weather.. similar data as Nautide, lots of it, rather busy screen.
    You have to pick a location, Bouy or Weather station  locations, to get a report for.

It has ad's and keep prompting for you to upgrade. I selected a location and it prompts that I must be a gold or pro $$ member to access that data.
    Done, deleted.
    I hate that and would have done the same.
    That's kind of why I have an app for tides, an app for wond and several apps for general weather.  The apps that try and do it all try to jam them all into one screen.

The Nautide app has a busy home interface with everything that is pretty much useless, but it gets better when you tab through the specific info like wind.   Still the apps that concentrate on one area have better presentations.

One thing that Nautide has that the others don't is coefficient so you know the days with big tide differences which is good for fishing 
    I have several also.. wind, tide, solunar (which I seldom look at unless I want to see moon rise/set), temp. radar.
    Agree about Nautide also, that circle is pretty awkward. For local weather I'm still happy with HyperLocal but supposedly it will die end of year when apple shuts down the access to the backend  database.