Skip to main content
Home General Fishing

How to Fillet Red Snapper Quickly Manual Knife

MathGeekMathGeek Posts: 537 Officer
“Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" - The Messiah
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• tankeredtankered Posts: 1,520 Captain
    "Quickly" and "poorly".

You miss a lot of shoulder meat.
  • Terry RavenscraftTerry Ravenscraft Posts: 282 Deckhand
    I thought it was a pretty good job …I personally would have an issue with eating the fillet after seeing it filletedon that board with flys on it , just my observations 
    Bugs are part of cleaning fish outside. You are from Florida, right?

A filet shouldn't be squared off at the shoulder end, there's a good amount of meat he missed. 

That whole technique he uses is lacking, IMO. If you don't cut along the spine first....on both sides before removing any fillet...you're doing it wrong. Might work (somewhat) on a smaller fish like that but not on anything much bigger.
  • Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 1,172 Officer
    tankered said:
    If you don't cut along the spine first....on both sides before removing any fillet...you're doing it wrong. Might work (somewhat) on a smaller fish like that but not on anything much bigger.
    This part is extremely important, and so many people just don't get why.  If exactly half of your fillets are ragged and uneven, it's because you didn't do what Tankered is describing.
  • jetmech2jetmech2 Posts: 1,454 Officer
    edited June 2021 #6
    That’s how they clean them in the fish houses. Most charter boat and head boats talk the tourist into taking their catch in to have them cleaned. 
     The fish houses then salvage the rest, especially the throats and cheeks. 
     Edit: I was surprised he wasn’t using a over priced Bubba Knife!🤔
    That is NOT how they clean them in actual fish houses.

How they clean them for tourists is not how it's done in a real seafood shop. 
  • bigfinn35bigfinn35 Posts: 1,148 Officer
    Yeah, I'd think that behind closed doors most fish houses would want to maximize their yield per fish. Speed only saves you so much money, especially if you're processing fish with tighter quotas.
    Paddle faster, I hear banjo music.
  • RobertRRobertR Posts: 431 Deckhand
    I try my best to get all the boneless meat I can.  I am not perfect but I try to get the most meat I can..This is a Shellcracker fillet from Sunday. I fillet all my fish by starting in middle of back, cutting down the back forward all the way to above the eye, you can see the front of the fillet is pointed because I got the meat above the eye. if your first cut is by the gills you will not get the meat above and forward of gills. .I do not cut thru the ribs, I cut meat off the ribs down to the belly. I cut pin bones out last. If I do get a rib or 2 or 3 I can run my sharp knife just under the rib bone and still get the belly meat. When I was able to offshore fish i would get the cheek meat and throats off the larger fish like Grouper. I would often get them from my fishing buddies since most were too lazy to cut them out... Next time you fillet a fish try making your first cut in the back and up towards the eye, It may feel unnatural at first if you have always made the first cut next to the gill.. If you try it maybe you can get a little extra meat like I do. 
  • RobertRRobertR Posts: 431 Deckhand
    I would like to add that I make the both of the back cuts, cut around gills to belly and the top to bottom cut behind ribs along back bone on both sides first...then I make the cut where I get the rib meat, leave the fillet attached To the tail, cut fillet off skin.. 
  • swampdogswampdog Posts: 4,645 Captain
    Pretty much how I do it RobertR. Occasionally I’ll save any boney pieces for me if I get in a hurry and make a miscue. 
    RobertR said:
    I would like to add that I make the both of the back cuts, cut around gills to belly and the top to bottom cut behind ribs along back bone on both sides first...then I make the cut where I get the rib meat, leave the fillet attached To the tail, cut fillet off skin.. 

This guy gets it.
  • bmoodybmoody Posts: 1,012 Officer
    I'm surprised you guys even look at the OP's posts...
  • swampdogswampdog Posts: 4,645 Captain
    I do believe some folks look at a most recent reply and post and go. Some of us apparently read them all before posting. To each their own. 
    bmoody said:
    I'm surprised you guys even look at the OP's posts...

They're good for a laugh.
  • poncedoradoponcedorado Posts: 871 Officer
    Guys have some respect, obviously it takes a really serious expert to fillet a fish with a Manual Knife  :)
    Not only that, he knows how to hook squid for bait.
  • Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 1,172 Officer
    tankered said:
    Not only that, he knows how to hook squid for bait.
    Truly, the Renaissance man!
  • cortrcortr Posts: 523 Officer
    MathGeek is not concerned about the quality ok videos. He just spreading his message!!!