Skip to main content
Home General Paddle Craft

Water Shoes

krashkrash Posts: 845 Officer
What shoes are you wearing on the kayak, canoe, paddle board ?

I sight-fish inshore skinny water, bottom could be sand, grassy, rock, mud... and many times jump off to chase down a bonefish or to revive & release fish, plus just stake of and wade soemtimes.

Looking for a, not expensive, footwear option, must drain when wet, and nut easily sucked onn your feet when trudging through mud, preferably a non marking sole so they can alos be worn on the boat for offshore trips.
Old Fugger who just likes to fish

Replies

• DES51DES51 Posts: 268 Deckhand
    Crocs. I have found that water shoes get smelly and end up falling apart after awhile. 
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 16,008 AG
    I've had a pair of UA Kilchis for about 4-5 years.  I have the old laces kind, which is my only compliant.  Sometimes when wading they get stuck in the mud or laces become untied.

They have Bungie style laces now that I think would work better.

Easy to keep from being smelly.  I put the nozzles on jet or full and force water and sand out through the drains.  Just run it until the cloudy water turns clear.
    Just dropping grenades in OT
  • Kayak_PeteKayak_Pete Posts: 184 Deckhand

2014 Hobie Sport
  • krashkrash Posts: 845 Officer
    Thx.. keep them coming.

mplspug , the UA's look good...

Kayak Pete, do you know if those Stohlquist are non marking rubber ?

For years, and years, I've always just worn the black neopreme dive booty's.. they do get smelly, especially afer mud walking or if you leave them wet in your trunk, they do get pretty hot in the sun though.
  • Wra22Wra22 Posts: 237 Deckhand
    I use “duck & Fish” ankle high zipper wading boots. They are black.  I use them wading, surf fishing, and kayaking. Rubber soles neoprene tops. Don’t use a boat so don’t know about marks on decks. On my Second pair. Works for me. They will get sand inside from more active surf. IMPORTANT:  rinse boots each time especially zippers and lube zippers. Hopes this helps. 
    krash said:
    Yeah, you said this was an issue for you.  I couldn't find anywhere that tells me these shoes are non-marking, but I did do two non-marking tests I found and these shoes failed both.  Sorry.

2014 Hobie Sport
  • gogittumgogittum Nature CoastPosts: 3,650 Captain
    krash said:
    Yeah, you said this was an issue for you.  I couldn't find anywhere that tells me these shoes are non-marking, but I did do two non-marking tests I found and these shoes failed both.  Sorry.

Too bad.  I like the looks of them and went to the website.  They brag about the shoes being non-marking.  Marking would be a deal breaker.
    K-Pete, Sad to hear about the marking test... failure assume it marked what ever you tested it on.
    I was on the web site, before asking the question and it does sort of say non-marking..  when I checked my size was out of stock. Asked for notification and got email today saying they were now in stock, was about to pull the trigger, they look like they would do what I want.. but black marks on someone's power boat is a no-invite back situation.

jawray, have you tried those Croc's ? I had  a pair of Croc Classic Boat Boat shoes long ago and hated them, they were comfy but had a very wide front footbed and felt very unstable when standing on a wet moving, boat hull, surface and I walk all around my SUP and need something that is as stable as my feet. When I would lean into or step on an unlevel surface it was agony as the ankle twisted.

They are great kayak shoes.  $30 !!
    I switch to something else when I'm on someone's boat.
    2014 Hobie Sport
  • cranker789cranker789 MiamiPosts: 529 Officer
    I have the classic crocs boat shoes. Don’t really like them but can’t find anything better. They make an awful squeaking noise when wet. 
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 16,008 AG
    krash said:
    Thx.. keep them coming.

mplspug , the UA's look good...

I'll admit part of the reason I got them is they are good looking for fishing shoes.  So I do rate style as my ch as I do functionality.
    Just dropping grenades in OT
  • 10kman10kman Posts: 948 Officer
      I now use the Crocs watersheds w/strap.Before that
    had a pair of Keen water shoes.Problem for me
    very heavy.No longer have to worry about that,
    one came off in the thick mud so I threw the other
    one away.$115 down the drain!
  • Drifting_ByDrifting_By ChicagoPosts: 169 Deckhand
    I bought some Sperry water shoes this year, so far so good. Very very light and drain well.
    Sperry, days of past, used to be the go to shoe for boating.. used to be daily wear barefoot or kino's,the topsders were my dress shoes. But they have priced themselves out of my range.

Had a pair of Vibram 5 Fingers they were basically dive booties with toes.. people look at ya funny when ya wear them into a store but who GAF.. they did fit tight and not get sucked off in the mud, but didn;t last long. (If you buy these go up a size from your normal shoe size).

Looks like I'll go back to another pair of dive booties.. in expensive at $25.00, last a few years, and do the job.
  • skankin pickleskankin pickle Posts: 69 Deckhand
    These have been pretty good to me. Walk over oyster beds with no problem. If you're walking through the mud sucking flats, tighten them up good. 

https://www.aleadergear.com/collections/mens-water-shoes/products/mens-xdrain-classic-knit-water-shoes?variant=12541899046946
    rise and shine, it's fishing time!
  • LostconchLostconch Posts: 1,090 Officer
    I just wear crocs. I get them one size small to avoid slipping off
  • Rookie77Rookie77 Posts: 120 Deckhand
  • mcquadeoutdoorsmcquadeoutdoors St PetePosts: 50 Deckhand
    i wear the Sperry 7 seas, you can generally find them on sale online. They will stink a bit after a while but ive been using them for almost 3 year and they are working great, i just leave them on my SUP to dry and works fine. Super comfy, grippy, non marking bottoms. 
    Youtube: McQuade Outdoors
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 16,637 AG
    i got a pair of columbia water shoes and they work well enough.  
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life