Home General Fishing

Replies

• tankeredtankered Gainesvill, FlPosts: 918 Officer
    Wow they can tell a lot from one photo. 

Maybe it died during the fight, maybe it was already dead, who knows? Maybe it's not dead at all!

It's one fish. Big deal. Sorry, I don't get the outrage. While I don't necessarily condone whatever it is people think they're doing, I just can't support the weight of the law being thrown at them for whatever this is.

It's a very slippery slope, this animal rights business. And that's exactly what this is, don't fool yourself. 

Is it still legal to kill one with a tag? Maybe they have one.

Way too many questions for FWC to be seeking "suspects". 
  • finbullyfinbully Posts: 850 Officer
    Thanks for showing your complete lack of regulatory knowledge to all of us!
    Enlighten me. Is it still legal to kill a tarpon with a tag or not?

I know at one point it was. 

But you are correct, I really don't care about the regs for goliath ladyfish as I don't target trash fish. 

I was on the Wacassasa river one time, not too long ago, during a brutal cold snap hoping to find trout stacked up in the river (they weren't) and we came across a cold-stunned tarpon of about 40 lbs. I may or may not have grabbed it for a quick photo and put it back, not sure if the thing made it or not, but if I posted that purely hypothetical photo would the FWC throw their resources at me? Because if they did that would be stupid, much like this is stupid. 

Tarpon are in no way endangered, the vast majority don't kill them....or don't INTENTIONALLY kill them, who knows how many die after an extended fight on light tackle? Sharks get a ton after release as well. 

Computer busybodies with a badge are not helping anything. 
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,087 AG
    edited June 10 #5
    Computer busybodies defending illegal actions isn't helping anything either.

You have no idea, Tankered, what the FWC knows or doesn't know about those anglers and their actions, or what the FWC intends to do or not do in response....but I sure do find it curious that you would defend their behavior.

To answer your question, it's against the regulations to take that fish out of the water and it's illegal to possess (as the photo documents) without a tag.

Where did I defend their behavior? Answer....I DIDN'T!

Just offered up possibilities of what may be happening, you have no idea, Tamponator, either.

I just think the FWC should have better thing to do than peruse the web looking for photos where something illegal may or may not be happening, and then searching for them as "suspects". Even if what they are doing is illegal, this is overkill, and another lubricant on the already slippery slope of animal rights disguised as "conservation regulations".
  • finbullyfinbully Posts: 850 Officer
    edited June 11 #7
  • MulletMaster239MulletMaster239 Southwest FloridaPosts: 804 Officer
    tankered said:

Just offered up possibilities of what may be happening, you have no idea, Tamponator, either.

I just think the FWC should have better thing to do than peruse the web looking for photos where something illegal may or may not be happening, and then searching for them as "suspects". Even if what they are doing is illegal, this is overkill, and another lubricant on the already slippery slope of animal rights disguised as "conservation regulations".
    All about $$$, they generate lots of revenue.  Easier they are to catch, the more recs and guides there will be going for them.  

At the same time, BigBro.gov is just fine with water MISmanagement, and also tearing up the mangroves and over-developing/polluting on the habitats of the juveniles.  

I don’t agree with how these 3 googans handled the fish.  But it is pretty silly to put out an APB on them while neglecting bigger threats to the species.  But there’s fees and fines to be collected if they are found.  $$$.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 9,517 Admiral
    edited June 10 #9
    Should the FWC fine people for using light tackle and having their great Tarpon catch eaten by a hammerhead? A dead fish is a dead fish no matter how it is killed. I only fish for food.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• CapnSkipCapnSkip East Central FloridaPosts: 31 Deckhand
    I agree with Tankered. This is from FWC's website under tarpon tag:

Required, in addition to a saltwater fishing license, when landing tarpon.  No exemptions.  For information, please read about Tarpon.

• Annual tag:  $51.50.  Available at tax collector's offices only.

Jetmech2, there is nothing illegal in that picture since the tarpon is not completely out of the water by todays standards but I'm guessing you only posted it for effect.

• jetmech2jetmech2 Panhandle Posts: 915 Officer
    CapnSkip said:

Required, in addition to a saltwater fishing license, when landing tarpon.  No exemptions.  For information, please read about Tarpon.

Jetmech2, there is nothing illegal in that picture since the tarpon is not completely out of the water by todays standards but I'm guessing you only posted it for effect.

I plead the fifth!😎
    jetmech2 said:
    CapnSkip said:

I plead the fifth!😎
    Me and my fishing pal in Boca Grand last Monday, should have seen the ones that gotta way!😬

jetmech2 said:
    jetmech2 said:
    CapnSkip said:

I plead the fifth!😎
    Me and my fishing pal in Boca Grand last Monday, should have seen the ones that gotta way!😬

Did you get your clothes at Goodwill?

― Ernest Hemingway

• MissedMissed O-townPosts: 457 Deckhand
    Computer busybodies defending illegal actions isn't helping anything either.

You have no idea, Tankered, what the FWC knows or doesn't know about those anglers and their actions, or what the FWC intends to do or not do in response....but I sure do find it curious that you would defend their behavior.

To answer your question, it's against the regulations to take that fish out of the water and it's illegal to possess (as the photo documents) without a tag.

If they have a history of violations, they will do something else and get caught, battered, and fried.

Don't really care about someone taking a fish out of the water.  Do they still take a scale for the momento?
  • bigfinn35bigfinn35 Sarasota/VenicePosts: 874 Officer
    tankered said:

All about $$$, they generate lots of revenue.  Easier they are to catch, the more recs and guides there will be going for them.  

At the same time, BigBro.gov is just fine with water MISmanagement, and also tearing up the mangroves and over-developing/polluting on the habitats of the juveniles.  

I don’t agree with how these 3 googans handled the fish.  But it is pretty silly to put out an APB on them while neglecting bigger threats to the species.  But there’s fees and fines to be collected if they are found.  $$$.
    I can agree with this. This photo and behavior is an issue, but FL government is very happy to focus on individual cases like this to draw the heat off of more large-scale systemic issues that are a bigger threat to the species as a whole.
    Paddle faster, I hear banjo music.
    Exactly. 

Flexing the enforcement muscle on something so insignificant while ignoring real problems.

Referring to some guys holding a tarpon as "suspects" is pathetic and laughable and impossible to take seriously. 

• FastEddyFastEddy Posts: 59 Deckhand
    There's a not a lot of info in that article to come to any solid conclusions - only that the FWC suspect that they didn't have a tag (I'd assume).  At this point they are only suspected of a violation. 
    Maybe it will be cleared up with a tag or maybe not...
    Hopefully the FWC is able to ID them so they can finish their investigation.

I hope they don't get ID'd and prosecuted because it is stupid, pointless and draconian.

Just pissant big brother flexing. 
    jetmech2 said:
    jetmech2 said:
    CapnSkip said:

I plead the fifth!😎

Did you get your clothes at Goodwill?
    Bass Pro shop. Only the best for my crew!😎
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 9,025 Admiral
    Grandpaw used Tarpon for garden fertilizer.
    Bury a 50 pounders and plant Maters on top...winning
    Killin and Grillin :grin

― Ernest Hemingway

If the old Conchs would accidentally catch a Tarpon because they did not fish for them specifically they would cut the bellies out and boil them for boiled fish and grits. That was the only part of the tarpon that they would eat .

― Ernest Hemingway

jetmech2 said:
    jetmech2 said:
    CapnSkip said:

I plead the fifth!😎

What lb test fluorocarbon leader did you use?  How many yards of braid did you have on your reel?  Whereabouts in the pass?  I’m not looking for anyone’s honey hole just a general idea.  Was out last weekend and I found the schools of boats but couldn’t hook up.
  • LostconchLostconch Posts: 953 Officer
    The fact is they probably were using braid. It would have been of the dacron variety
  • swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 2,479 Captain
    I commend FWC. It’s clearly not on a boat for a quick pic. It’s on concrete at the ramp maybe, but certainly not ready to go back in the water. 
    If knuckleheads are gonna post on social media then, I think it’s grand for them to get busted with an investigation. I’m not a tarpon fisherman but we have too many people taking too many liberties with sport fish. 
    A lot of new comers to Florida don’t buy licenses and they keep what they want. 
    jetmech2 said:
    jetmech2 said:
    CapnSkip said:

I plead the fifth!😎

What lb test fluorocarbon leader did you use?  How many yards of braid did you have on your reel?  Whereabouts in the pass?  I’m not looking for anyone’s honey hole just a general idea.  Was out last weekend and I found the schools of boats but couldn’t hook up.
    Braid? Fluorocarbon???
     We use dacron tied directly to the hook. 
    And a billy club to calm the fish down😉
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 14,209 AG
    " I don't condone braking the rules, I just condone enforcing them". 
    Just dropping grenades in OT
    jetmech2 said:
    jetmech2 said:
    jetmech2 said:
    CapnSkip said:

I plead the fifth!😎

Braid? Fluorocarbon???
     We use dacron tied directly to the hook. 
    And a billy club to calm the fish down😉
    Dacron eh? Brilliant! Less ‘light refraction’ 😂
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 9,025 Admiral
    Yea But...
    What if the Tarpon breaks the FWC rules..?
    I had a 40  pounder jump into my boat...Took one of his eyes out lading on a pair of pliers and smashed his head into the console..blood pouring out his gills.
    I was afraid to touch it and leave fingerprints on it in case FWC Helo flew over.
    I revived him by throwing him into the mangroves on a rising tide.
    I'm sure he's fine.
    Killin and Grillin :grin