Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

In Shore Kayak Fishing Cocoa Beach Last Week in June

I will be in Cocoa Beach the last week of June until July 2nd with my kayak hoping to fish inshore most mornings until it gets too hot.  Usually there second week of August and am familiar with Ramp Road, the High School and Golf Course, the mangroves south of 520 and the spill islands north of the locks at Port Canaveral.  Looking for suggestions as to other places to try and scope out or tactics that work best this time of year.  Is there enough benefits to run up and launch around Titusville or in the South end of Mosquito or stay close to Cocoa and fish more? Thanks on advance.

Replies

• duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,246 AG
    Fish off the beach.... 
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,645 Captain
    If the water stays clear sight fishing for big trout and reds in knee deep water is a possibility.

• strangebrewskistrangebrewski Posts: 100 Deckhand
    Stick with your familiar area, I was out there a week ago and there were fish everywhere. The only fish species I did not see was tarpon. Water was clean and there is a good healthy sea grass growing all over. I stayed mainly towards the ball fields and it did not disappoint. Took home some fish to eat and left many there to thrive. Healthy looking trout cruising the flats. Reds were hanging along the mangroves. Black drum were schooling up in some deeper areas with mangroves. Sheepshead were all over. Mangrove snapper were hanging out on the edges of the mangroves. Even the snook swam out to check the kayak out while paddling by. 
  • rockets971997rockets971997 Posts: 5 Deckhand
    edited June 10 #5
    Awesome to hear! Thanks for the updates.  Hopefully we'll continue to see the seagrass return and then the fishing bounce back too.  The last few years were not great. Love the clear water!
  • rockets971997rockets971997 Posts: 5 Deckhand
    What are your favorite colors this time of year with the clear water? Do you go more white or natural? Electric chicken worked well for me when water was more stained in the past.