Skip to main content
Home Fly Fishing

Belize bonefish trip

pannickpannick Posts: 3 Greenhorn
Hey Gang, Hope that all is well.

I am new to this thread so don't scream too much at my question.

I have spent most of my life jumping baby tarpon, chasing snook & peakcock bass in S. Florida canals to lately chasing trout & redfish in the Crystal River, FL area. Well for my 60th birthday my wife has booked me my dream trip to Belize to give bonefish a go.

Now all of my life I have gotten away with using the old school Pflueger & Reddington reels on old Silstar or Scientific Anglers rods. So I am looking what to get myself for my trip. I am a budget minded guy. Not quite as cheap as George Costanza but, well you know. I am guessing that something like a TFO BVK SD model fly reel and a Lefty Kreh or TFO rod won't be good enough.

Is there a combo or set up that a guy can put together for $400-600 that will handle and hold up to what I am going to be doing? Thanks in advance

Replies

• limitlesslimitless Posts: 707 Officer
    A TFO LK Legacy rod or a Mangrove would do fine for Bones, Snook, even Permit.  Match it up to a TFO BVK SD (sealed drag) reel and you've got a good outfit under $600   Watch the forums like this and Micro Skiffs for used ones on sale too.  Maybe even Ebay.

The Snook & Gamefish Foundation is now the Angler Action Program: http://angleractionfoundation.com/  Dedicated to Conservation and Education.  Please check us out.

Angler Action Program: IAngler app trip log on your phone

• troutbomtroutbom Posts: 409 Deckhand
    Caught lots of Bahamian bonefish on TFO paired with Orvis Large Arbor reel. Got a new TFO sealed drag for a friend and he likes it. Belize bones pretty small (usually) and your snook/redfish outfit is plenty good enough. No need to break the bank. Invest in a good tropic line though. I like RIO but lots of good ones out there.
  • sunflowersunflower osprey, floridaPosts: 721 Officer

I agree with the others that your current gear should serve you fine. 
    I have fished a lot in the Keys and Bahamas, and by all reports the Belize species (snook, bonefish, permit, tarpon) are smallish but more numerous.
    TFO rods are good enough to catch anything on earth. Rods become exponentially more-expensive, but only incrementally better. I recently got some Edge rods on sale (an expensive rod with rebates that brought the price waaaay down. I have expensive reels (Hatch)- but only because they are pretty. I'm sure any fly shop could recommend a sturdy midprice large-arbor reel.

I really like the idea of a good new line.
    You will find your main problem with your new pursuits of bones and such in reaching fish into difficult wind angles. All the species you are describing (snook, baby tarpon, peacocks) are residential. The fish you will be chasing in Belize will be on the move, fast- and will seem 100% into a wind.

Been there, done that.

One of the fancy tropical lines designed for permit (I like Scientific Anglers Amplitude) (its very expensive) would be great. They are weighted to be heavily forward-loaded. They cast quicker, with less line drifted out, faster and farther. You will be astonished what an extra 10 feet, and 2 fewer false-casts gain you on a saltwater flat.
    Mark

grace finds goodness in everything ...

• pannickpannick Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    Appreciate the info.
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,706 Captain
    What ever you bring be sure to include a good pair of comfortable wading shoes.  This is one of those "ask me" things.