Skip to main content
Home General Paddle Craft

Boca Raton 29 May 2021

John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 3,988 Captain

Three of us launched from the beach around 4:45 am through a small surf at Spanish Trails park.  Sabiki Goggle eye fishing was horrible for me, but one of my friends had better luck with his crappie jig and had over a dozen.  He gave me three before we headed out.  On the way out my two buddies and I all hooked up right after sunrise.  My friends each caught a nice jumbo Blackfin Tuna, and I got a king.

My other two baits produced a snag in the Hobie Outback rudder (I hate this rudder -- never had a problem with the Pro Angler) and a bit off most likely by a shark.   All out of bait I headed out for a jigging session.  There were some weedlines and it looked fishy.  Most of my action occurred in 270ft of water.   

The current was pretty strong and by 10:30 it was time to head back.  I trolled a yozuri straight in to the beach first to get out of the current before heading Sth back to the launch.  I made it back to a very crowded Memorial weekend Beach.  One of my friends lost a big Mahi because he did not have his gaff which he lost on the Tuna.  The other friend did not have any more luck for the day but saw a nearby boat catch a 20lb+ gaffer.  I was stoked to have fresh tuna for sushi, Ceviche, Blackening, Searing, and tuna spreads.

Replies

• tarponhuntertarponhunter Posts: 487 Deckhand
    Thats a nice tuna on the jig! Great report thanks. Bold of you to fish out there on kayaks on a beautiful Memorial Day weekend hahaha but clearly worth it.
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 3,988 Captain
    Thats a nice tuna on the jig! Great report thanks. Bold of you to fish out there on kayaks on a beautiful Memorial Day weekend hahaha but clearly worth it.
    Thanks.  We would have preferred to fish Pompano or Ft. Lauderdale, but because of the added Holiday congestion, we chose to fish Nth Boca instead.  The boating traffic was not too bad.
  • GeneakersGeneakers West Palm BeachPosts: 285 Deckhand
    Nice to see ya tearing -em up John..  our last outing was all SPJ as well.. had a rounded day with multiple species..

Nice job and nice report... 

Thanks for sharing!