Home General Hunting

Bear...... Issue...... Leave, Go Away!

TGBTG7701TGBTG7701 North West FL Posts: 5 Greenhorn
I am having an issue with a large black bear, He/She has knocked over my feeder, broke a few things on it, knocked over my trail camera, and keeping the deer away. I am trying to figure out a way to get the bear to leave, and not come back. ack.  

Replies

• LostconchLostconch Posts: 1,004 Officer
    Good luck. Take down the feeder for a while is the only thing I can think of
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,742 Moderator
    Stop slinging crack.

If you must bait in order to train deer to use your land, I’d recommend small piles of rice bran put out by hand once a week or so.  Leave soy beans at the store... bears will eventually develop a taste for them too.   If you’ll do small rice bran piles for a few generations of deer, they’ll wind up making that visit a part of their routine and you can eventually stop baiting entirely.  Assuming, of course, there is semi decent natural browse and cover.  

Bears will sniff and taste rice bran, but they will not camp out on it like corn and beans.  
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • awayaway Posts: 461 Deckhand
    Get an elevated feeder that gets the barrell up 10 ft or so. If she can't reach the barrell she'll lose interest.

Tripod feeders don't work in bear country. 
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 8,166 Admiral
    It's all about the food. Got to use something they do not like......it's that simple.
  • DJWDJW Posts: 552 Officer
    We use the Moultrie hanging barrel feeder. Pretty much bear and hog proof if hung high enough.  You’ll still have the bear problem but your feeder won’t be smashed flat. 
    There is no way to get the bear to go away if you continue slinging corn. 
    And if you stop for a while and they go away. They’ll come back when you start again. 
    If your able to plant a feed plot that may be the way to go. 
  • mattb78mattb78 Posts: 264 Deckhand
    FWC has some examples: 

Its quite a task to make a bear-proof feeder.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 9,479 Admiral
    Any Animal that can go Face first into a Yellow Jacket nest and eat every one of them has my respect...and he's gonna do what the heck he wants to your Buffet Bar..
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • altuckaltuck TallahasseePosts: 514 Officer
    Corn is crack to a bear, quit feeding him.
    Plant a food plot, although I have watched them eat grass like a dog.
    But number 1 is stop feeding him.
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 4,258 Captain
    edited June 5 #11
    Be wonderfully happy you have a hunt spot in Bear Country. A lot of benefits.
    And if you must “ Feeder”, simply establish a “ Bear Proof” feeder set up.
    FWCC provides ideas, as per another forum member post.
    Stop complaining.
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • Big Bend BrianBig Bend Brian Posts: 1,447 Officer

I feel your pain……..Yep. If you’ve got bears and you want to continue to bait the best solution is to elevate those feeders.

Ben’ster…. post away with the photos of that yeller jacket nest wrecked by a bear!

Brian

• PilotDavePilotDave Lamont/Key LargoPosts: 4 Greenhorn
    They are a constant headache on my property in Madison County. I have pic on one feeder with 5 bears standing around. Not unusual to see 2 at a time. 
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 4,496 Captain
    Last night a bear walked off with a high dollar coyote live trap I had on my driveway that was baited with a chicken. The weight wouldn’t have been an issue but the shear bulk should have been awkward for a 4 legged animal. But I saw a bear walk off with an entire feeder once that would have been bulkier than the trap. 
  • swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 2,986 Captain
    Are you sure BF? I’ve seen some of your “Frankenstein” chickens…Bird might have left on his own accord with your trap… ;)
    I wouldn’t have suspected a bear had walked off with my trap it not been for an occasion where one walked off with an entire 50 gallon drum around his neck and drug it through a bay thicket. In that instance it appeared the bear got caught in the feeder’s chain and got it caught around his neck for a time. 

The trap is thoroughly gone and I would otherwise suspect a human stole it. But its not that likely a trespasser would have found the black coated trap in the thick in the dark along the driveway and not likely that a trespasser would chose to steal it above anything else off the farm. I bet a bear stuck its big head inside and got the trap caught on his head. It had a fresh chicken in it. I had last checked the trap yesterday. 
    I found the trap. Surprisingly he didn’t destroy it. He just drug it back into the woods aways. 
  • JohnnyBanditJohnnyBandit Posts: 9,388 Admiral
    Its a bear.... Only way to stop it from coming around is to stop throwing free feed out.

I doubt it bothers the deer as much as you think..... They will not come to the feeder if a bear is around.....
    But I doubt they avoid him if he is not eating corn.
  • oldcraboldcrab Posts: 29 Deckhand
     I have heard tales o fellas using cans of spray paint smear with sticky stuff or peanut butter   - I would use fluorescent colors 
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 9,479 Admiral
    Really their just Supersized Racoons...
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 8,166 Admiral
    Really their just Supersized Racoons...
    They're................. :)
    Personally, I prefer “ Wild” country, wild landscapes for hunting and rambling, therefore Bear There is a given. 
    A High Class Problem for an “ Outdoor” person Florida circa 2021. 

• joelunchbucketjoelunchbucket Posts: 680 Officer
    There are definitely worse problems to have. 

Would be great though if bear management wasn’t driven by emotion and instead went back to being managed as a game animal, like they are in most other areas of their range where there are far fewer of them. 

Here their management has made them more of a pest species. 
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 2,578 Captain
    FloridaOD said:
    Personally, I prefer “ Wild” country, wild landscapes for hunting and rambling, therefore Bear There is a given. 
    A High Class Problem for an “ Outdoor” person Florida circa 2021. 

If you add a cat in a hat and green eggs and ham this riddle that you tell wouldn’t smell like Spam. 😂 
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
  • nofishtodaynofishtoday Posts: 1,328 Officer
    We need a Bear season 
    edited September 13 #26
    Today’s Bear population is not so much a “ Conservation Success Story” but rather a current population that depends on some habitat not reserved from future development.
     Blunt outlook: Temporary. Sorry FWCC Biologists ( since “ retired”) and particularly, others that championed the bear  hunt as a “ Referendum on hunting”.
    Assure the Habitat before a hunt.
    Or design a current hunt based on future reduced population/ future habitat.
    Skip it. The  Hunter “  Referendum” was a giant fail.We can not even replicate North Carolina or Northeast State Bear hunt programs.
    Nobody here on this forum will manage to  expand this conversation; imagine having the Governor’s office or FWCC to comment directly here on this forum anything related to Bear Hunting or Land Use And Zone Local government Comp plan.

• altuckaltuck TallahasseePosts: 514 Officer
    Bear issue is to political. We will not see a bear season unless some child dies.
    I always get a kick out of people who try to leverage a species for purposes other than what is required by the species. 

It’s true that it’s a political hot potato. Nobody has the will to do what should be done for both the benefit of both the species and the people of the state. 
    I always get a kick out of people who try to leverage a species for purposes other than what is required by the species. 

It’s true that it’s a political hot potato. Nobody has the will to do what should be done for both the benefit of both the species and the people of the state. 

“.... nobody here on this forum will manage to expand the conversation.....”
    I should add: Outcome 

If you include yourself, I would have to agree. 
    edited September 15 #31
    Absolutely include Me . Here.This Forum. 
    Future “ Results “  may “ Vary” and are not guaranteed.
    FWCC person D.E. will likely not post here, this Thread, even in her retirement.