Replies

• BooBooBooBoo Vero Beach Fl and Ft. Lupton ColoradoPosts: 201 Deckhand
    edited May 29 #3
    Size 1 Gamakatsu hook
    bucktail
    flash
    white opalescent

Easy one to tie for a rookie like me. Can’t wait to see something bust one on top! Critiques welcome. Help me learn. 
  • RennieRaeRennieRae Posts: 784 Officer
    They look great to me!  If I were fishing them I would trim the tail about 50% to suit my past experiences.  However, a larger bait profile might be better for the fish you are targeting. Good luck!   
    Bob 

17 ft. Ankona Native with 40 hp Suzuki 4 stroke 
  • ClamfootClamfoot ChuluotaPosts: 57 Deckhand
    They look pretty good. I'll bet they fish. The tails may be a bit long and could use some sharpie stripes depending on what you're trying to do. 

One tip that it took me some time to absorb when I first started tying my own flies was to remember to bring a good (not great) pair of drug store nail/cuticle scissors with me when I fish a new fly for the first time. This will let you fine-tune it as you fish it. Dial in the glug and balance the fly's travel as you strip it.

Most of them (that we post pics of) will look good in the vise, especially from the top and the side. Great to catch fisherman. 
    But the fish will see the bottom, react to the profile and surface tension as it floats and to the way it travels when you strip. If it floats wonky or always shoots to one side when you strip it, fish may take a pass. Tune it as you fish it and maybe take notes on what it's doing when you fish it for the next time your sitting at the vise. 

All that being said they look really good. Better than most of my 1st attempts.

Good luck with them. 
    The good Lord came to save liars and sinners, that’s why he started with 4 fishermen
  • troutbomtroutbom Posts: 373 Deckhand
    Will work for sure. Good job. Depending on size of bait in the area tail may be a bit long but for finger mullet probably just right. Get em wet!
    Thanks for the feedback guys, I appreciate it. I’ll trim up the tails a bit. Clamfoot, Great tip to take scissors with me to tune em up!  I’m really enjoying rolling my own. 

• Chrystal_MurrayChrystal_Murray FloridaPosts: 15 Deckhand
    Great baby tarpon fly!
    What have you guys found the most effective way to fish a gurgler? Fast strip vs small pops.....etc. 
    The fish tell you what they want. My default search pattern is slow twitch  then pause but if you're throwing on visible fish and they roll up but dont eat, change it up to a fast strip. For tailing reds go real subtle. 
    Thanks Troutbom!  
  • sunflowersunflower osprey, floridaPosts: 656 Officer

Gurglers are designed to be noisy, push water, and pop.
    They are the fly-equivalent of poppers and dog -walking spin lures like Super-Spooks and Badonk-a-Donks.
    Fast-stripping one would just make it water-ski ... can't see how a fish would like that.
    Plus, the foam will fail pretty quick if you do that.
    Twitch and stop. Strip and stop.
    There are lots of subsurface flies designed for fast stripping, though again I can't see any utility in surfing any surface fly across the top of the water.
    Mark

grace finds goodness in everything ...

Makes perfect sense!  
    Sunflower and BooBoo, for sure strip pause is the way to go most days. But when I've found fish blowing up on finger mullet I've had explosive strikes on a fast strip.Worth a try if they boil but dont strike. Also chummed mackerel in Florida Bay will smash a fast strip on the surface but usually on a pencil popper  I tie a modified gurgler as a frog for bass with silicon legs that on some days kills on steady fairly fast retrieve. I modified gurgler to replicate Zoom Horny Toad or buzz bait action which kills bass sometimes. And yeah the foam fails but I stiffen it with Loon Clear Cure Epoxy which eliminates that problem. I know from past posts Sunflower passes on epoxy and rubber(i think) but BooBoo, you may find it to your liking although I only use that variation for bass. For snook and juvie tarpon the standard gurgler works best for me.