Skip to main content
Home Boating

Bunk brackets

scrubtechRickscrubtechRick Posts: 275 Deckhand
I have a Magic Tilt trailer and have to replace the galvanized (OEM) bunk brackets every 3-4 years.  Trailer is submerged in a fresh water canal after every use while flushing motor and is hit with the pressure while washing the hull, again after every use.
    Has anyone used the aluminum brackets vs. galvanized?  They are a little more expensive, I found a set of 8 with stainless u-bolts, nuts and washers for about $210 compared to $150 or so for everything galv.  
I'd gladly pay the extra $$ if they last even a year or two longer. 
I've thought about notching the carpet and putting the brackets right against the cypress, but I've never seen that with all the trailers you see at the ramps???

Any input would be appreciated.

Replies

• snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 1,285 Officer
    That is what I have on my aluminum trailer and they have been good for 12 years and still look good. I did insulate the 
    stainless steel from the aluminum with a thick coating of grease as the dis-similar metals will corrode. There probably are better substances to use other than grease.
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • Tony RomaTony Roma Posts: 2,465 Captain
    To be honest those don’t look terrible to me, I plan on the aluminum/SS conversion next time I have to do it , but those would not worry me in the near future. Have fun and go fish:)
  • rudyengrudyeng Posts: 424 Deckhand
    Go with aluminum. Hose them down after salt water use and they last a long time.

Best of Luck !
  • GotseaGotsea Posts: 861 Officer
    My trailer is 19 years old, but what I did when new I removed every SS bolt and fit it with a rubber sleeve, so it will not react with the aluminum, it is used in salt water only and there is no corrosion anywhere, it was worthwhile         
  • plasteredplastered Posts: 640 Officer
    Use shower pan liner between aluminum and galvanized.
  • PangamanPangaman Posts: 911 Officer
    I had my crossmember break on my trailer where the stainless steel u-bolts contacted the aluminum. When my trailer guy replaced with a new one, he welded square aluminum pipe to the top of the cross member and then welded aluminum brackets for the bunks. Now everything is aluminum, no more corrosion.