Skip to main content
Home General Fishing

Bit by a pufferfish!

Nsmith2015Nsmith2015 Ocala Posts: 21 Deckhand
I was recently bit by a smooth back pufferfish and I’m curious if they can transfer their “poison” if they bite you? From my research the poison in them is enough to kill 30 people. 

Replies

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 16,406 AG
    no they are not venomous. but that bite is bad enough. 
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
  • tankeredtankered Gainesvill, FlPosts: 1,393 Officer
    No. 

But I have to ask WTH you were thinking to get bitten?

I've seen one of those little bass turds chew through the shaft of a SS hook in about 30 seconds.

• Tony RomaTony Roma Posts: 2,473 Captain
    The poison only comes from eating it, ask Homer Simpson
  • poncedoradoponcedorado Posts: 745 Officer
    you guys are too nice. I was gonna reply "you're still alive?!?"

• lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,671 Captain
    The poisonous puffers are in the Pacific (and some folks consider them a delicacy- even if you can die if they’re not prepared properly... 

Our local puffers are just a pain...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Nsmith2015Nsmith2015 Ocala Posts: 21 Deckhand
    It was my first time fishing saltwater by myself haha. I’m a Michigan native and moved to Florida a week ago. I had no clue it was a puffer and also had no clue they had crazy strong bites!
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 9,574 Admiral
    Shoulda known not to mess with something that ugly.
  • bowhunter4lifebowhunter4life Posts: 2,075 Captain
    edited May 2021 #9
    Well, I bet you won’t let that happen again!... I was not being careful using pliers a couple years ago to unhook a big kingfish and paid the price!... about a dozen stitches to close my finger back up!..👎 As soon as I made my move to grab the hook with my pliers he turned and bit me like a bad dog.
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 16,002 AG
    Didn't you lose a chunk of flesh?  When I see how cleanly they can take a chunk out of a moving plastic jig, it makes me wonder if someone actually was bitten by one.
    Just dropping grenades in OT
  • gogittumgogittum Nature CoastPosts: 3,260 Captain
    I caught some fairly small ones (30" ??) out of Galveston in '04 and couldn't believe the teeth; like overlapping shears.  It makes me think most "bites" must be slices/scrapes from careless handling.  A real bite would likely remove a finger.
    30" is NOT a small puffer.
  • gogittumgogittum Nature CoastPosts: 3,260 Captain
    tankered said:
    Ooops....I jumped topic a bit.  I was referring to bowhunter4life's comment about getting cut by a big Kingfish.
  • bowhunter4lifebowhunter4life Posts: 2,075 Captain
    mplspug said:
    Didn't you lose a chunk of flesh?  When I see how cleanly they can take a chunk out of a moving plastic jig, it makes me wonder if someone actually was bitten by one.
    Nope, clean cut all the way to the bone. Like a knife cuts.
    gogittum said:
    tankered said:
    Ooops....I jumped topic a bit.  I was referring to bowhunter4life's comment about getting cut by a big Kingfish.

Ok that makes sense, and really re-reading I should have gathered such.

Mackerel and puffers have very different bites but both should be avoided at all costs!

I have somehow avoided both over the years, never had a catfish spine or a hook buried past the barb either....knocking on wood...
  • Tarpon MonoxideTarpon Monoxide Posts: 606 Officer
    edited May 2021 #16
    Taking of puffer fish prohibited in certain counties in Florida.

Puffer poisoning people in Florida.

AN ARTICLE IN JADA (JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN DENTAL ASSOCIATION) IN 2001 HAS THE ADMISSION THAT FLUORIDE SWALLOWED AND INCORPORATED INTO THE TEETH IS "INSUFFICIENT TO HAVE A MEASURABLE EFFECT" ON REDUCING CAVITIES."

THE NOW CORRUPTED MEDIA MANIPULATES BY USING ORWELLIAN NEWSPEAK. In Orwell's words, Newspeak was "designed to diminish the range of thought." Newspeak seeks to eliminate or alter certain words that do not fit the media's ideological agenda. In Orwell's novel 1984 Newspeak is a way of controlling the people's language in order to keep the peons under ideological control.Newspeak is deceptive and deceitful as it stifles free speech and only allows only certain approved words, phrases and ideas to be used while other words are forbidden.

Fauci's "Gain of Function" is newspeak for enhancing the contagiousness of a virus for use as a biological weapon in war. It was dumb, stupid and a threat to national security for the US  government with Fauci's blessing to help fund biological weapons enhancement in an arch enemy's country.  When Fauci used and pushed the euphemistic misnomer deceptive term "gain of function" the con was on.

"Gain of Function" newspeak for "Viral Biological Warfare Weapons Enhancement".

"Undocumented Immigrant" newspeak for "illegal alien".

"Progressive" newspeak for "Marxist".

"Dreamers" newspeak for "illegal aliens".

"Immigration Reform" newspeak for "illegal alien amnesty".

"Xenophobia" newspeak for those that want border security.

"Gun control" newspeak for "confiscate your guns".

"Pro-choice" newspeak for "pro-abortion".

"Math is racist" newspeak for "we are too lazy to learn math".

"Critical Race Theory" newspeak for "Reverse Discrimination Marxism".

When a snake oil salesman knows that the snake oil does not sell with the accurate name he simply changes the name to the NEWSPEAK euphemistic misnomer "Magic Medicinal Elixir" to sell his misrepresented product otherwise not sellable.

• louislouis Posts: 76 Deckhand
    I feel for you had a friend lose a fingertip to a triggerfish once.  From Michigan huh. ....  no different than me being a native Floridian traveling up North.  I believe outdoor education the same,,,, if it has teeth don't put the digetts tween the choppers.  Only do it once hope finger is ok.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 11,973 AG
    Speaking of triggerfish I had one that thought it was a Piranha. I was diving for bugs and concentrating  on getting one out of the ledge when I felt a sharp bite on my leg. I looked and it was a triggerfish. It kept coming back time and time again. I tried to knock him with my tickle stick but that didn’t phase him at all. Lucky for him I was in a spot that really wasn’t a Spearfish spot and I did not have my gun with me to persuade him to stop.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 5,246 Admiral
    I used to dive out of Boynton a lot with my business partner. One of the reefs we dove often was always loaded with gray triggers. My partner was bald, and for some reason they loved trying to bite him on the head. 
     It was hilarious watching him try to
    fight them off.
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,670 Captain
    edited May 2021 #20

All the poison in puffer fish is in the organs in the body cavity. The flesh meat itself has no poison. That is why only special licensed people in Japan are allowed to prepare them. While cleaning a puffer if you break open any part of the organ sac while removing it you must discard the entire fish. Of course mistakes are made and several people die every year in Japan from eating them. I was once a marine biology major many decades ago and cleaned one successfully and ate it for a possible thesis. The process is very difficult and i don't recommend anyone attempting it.  

Giimoozaabi
  • evernic1evernic1 NMBPosts: 1,006 Officer

All the poison in puffer fish is in the organs in the body cavity. The flesh meat itself has no poison. That is why only special licensed people in Japan are allowed to prepare them. While cleaning a puffer if you break open any part of the organ sac while removing it you must discard the entire fish. Of course mistakes are made and several people die every year in Japan from eating them. I was once a marine biology major many decades ago and cleaned one successfully and ate it for a possible thesis. The process is very difficult and i don't recommend anyone attempting it.  

My Dad and I used to catch them by the 100s every year in Va., Yorktown or Seaford we have eaten 1000s of them, my Dad was expert at cleaning...never any problem, he said it was a lot like cleaning bullfrogs, he'd cut down behind the head, carefully only about 3/4 way through, grab the meat and pull it out pulling the skin off in one swift move. beautiful chunk of delicious white meat.
    New to me 9-17-2020 2008 Donzi 38 ZSF 3 X 300 Verados
  • snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 1,285 Officer
    Delete

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • 2times2times AlvaPosts: 168 Deckhand
    Fugu or pufferfish sashimi used to kill few dozen people in Japan every year but not now.
    They have a new species of puffer that's farm raised that has almost no toxin...not enough to kill a person.
    Puffer fish has killed few people here in US too.