Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast Fishing Reports

Palm Valley at high slack

JPinPVBJPinPVB Ponte Vedra BeachPosts: 42 Deckhand
Off of marker 8, just south of the PV ramp. Hit the last hour of incoming and at slack within 10 min of each other, caught these guys up along the bank with a Gulp root beer/chartreuse paddletail.  Trout was about 19.5 and the red was 18.  Red had 6 spots...pretty fish

Replies

• JaxKayakJaxKayak Jacksonville, floridaPosts: 47 Deckhand
    edited May 11 #2
    Nice trout. Good to see palm valley is producing. From my experience the area has gone down quality fish due to over fishing with more boaters on the water. I usually don't fish out of palm valley bc of it. Maybe I'm just not targeting the rights spot anymore but would like to hear from people who fish it on a regular basis to see how they having been doing over the past 10 years compared to now. Also from hear say some guides who don't fish palm valley because of the boat traffic and a single boat ramp in the area.  
  • JPinPVBJPinPVB Ponte Vedra BeachPosts: 42 Deckhand
    PV ramp is foolish on weekends.  I only go solo out of there during the week when I can.  
    Have only been fishing the area for a short while so don’t have the history but I can tell you that water clarity is poor, compared to down near Vilano or up around Pablo/Cabbage Creek.   Was chatting with a guide at the PV ramp recently and he told me the same as you...PV is. I thing like it used to be back in the day.  He chalked it up more to environmental impacts...salinity, nitrogen (from all the new houses & their fertilizer) etc.  
  • JaxKayakJaxKayak Jacksonville, floridaPosts: 47 Deckhand
    edited May 12 #4
    Thanks JPinPVB. Yea that is the just of what I have heard over the years as well. My good buddy I fish with has lived in the area for about 30 years now. He has a 32" 12 pound trout mounted on his wall that he caught in palm valley about 20 years ago and has told me over the years with development which leads to a lot of fishing pressure in the area you will probably never see a fish like that again which is unfortunate. Great for our housing population with housing prices for current homeowners like myself around the area but unfortunately comes at a cost to the environment. Best place we have found is I may port now bc it is right at the inlet to the ocean. Would love to hear Bens input in the subject as a long time commercial man and fish market owner of what he has possibly experience in the area over the years.