Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Petition to Save the Palmetto Boat Ramp

CaptainBlyCaptainBly Posts: 2,542 Captain
Heard about this on the radio this morning.  Evidently the town of Palmetto fixed up a boat ramp a few years ago and bought the adjacent property for parking.  With property values so high, they want to cash in and sell this for development which will basically make the ramp useless.

Thought some of you may want to sign the petition.

https://www.change.org/p/mayor-shirley-bryant-save-palmetto-boat-ramp?original_footer_petition_id=&grid_position=&pt=

In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013

Replies

• Mango ManMango Man Posts: 11,766 AG
    Done

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
  • rock_fishrock_fish Posts: 12,034 AG
    I did a lot of remediation work on the old gas station lot to the east of that. Nice ramp there. Nice corner in general
    Proud supporter of the anti fishing, terroristic (lol what?) movement known as Greenpeace.
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 14,231 AG
    Sign it.  The mayor is a jackwagon.  Her initial response was that Manatee county needed to build more ramps.  I don't know where locations exist to build more ramps, but I am certain there are unicorns grazing there.
    Just dropping grenades in OT
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 14,231 AG
    I mean, sign it please  :)
    Just dropping grenades in OT
  • shempshemp Posts: 681 Officer
    Good summary of Florida's land use planning.  1) people want to move here for the great amenties and low taxes 2) so many people want to move here we should put a subdivision where the amenities are (and the construction lobby assures not enough is paid to the city/county or preemptive improvements to utilities and roads 3) the subdivison is up now 2x more people want to take advantage of 0.5x the amenities.  

Wouldn't a city purchase like that have some constraints on the land use / time?  

Manatee county can't build more ramps and the ones they have are parking-deficient.  A LOT of boats come off the skyway and pull into maximo every weekend morning to launch.  Should tell you something there  
  • RennieRaeRennieRae Posts: 761 Officer
    edited May 10 #7
    I heard they are trying to construct a boat ramp just south of the Skyway/I-275 rest area to make up for it....  HTF is that gonna work with I-275 traffic?   The FDOT is going to say He11 No! 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/manatee-county-proposes-sunshine-skyway-bridge-boat-ramp/ar-BB1gybmN

https://www.heraldtribune.com/story/news/local/manatee/2021/05/05/boat-ramp-could-added-sunshine-skyway-bridge-under-manatee-county-florida-plan/4921103001/
    Bob 

17 ft. Ankona Native with 40 hp Suzuki 4 stroke 
  • shempshemp Posts: 681 Officer
    If there is any place with waterfront real estate that could accomodate a ramp it's the port area. Would require unsecuring part of it and sale to the county or another entity. If the county wasn't too busy selling out for cheap they cpuld afford such a proposition. 15 yrs cimmuting to tampa through st pete...if traffic was ever jacked in downtown sp it was an accident or maybe the height of tourist season. Now it's everyday more than once a day and thats with covid still throwing a wrench in normalcy. It ain't the expanded multifamily in dtsp driving the traffic up either....it's urban sprawl south of the skyway. Hate to say it but i wonder what the influx would look like if a state income tax went into effect
  • Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 1,018 Officer
    shemp said:
    If there is any place with waterfront real estate that could accomodate a ramp it's the port area. Would require unsecuring part of it and sale to the county or another entity. If the county wasn't too busy selling out for cheap they cpuld afford such a proposition. 15 yrs cimmuting to tampa through st pete...if traffic was ever jacked in downtown sp it was an accident or maybe the height of tourist season. Now it's everyday more than once a day and thats with covid still throwing a wrench in normalcy. It ain't the expanded multifamily in dtsp driving the traffic up either....it's urban sprawl south of the skyway. Hate to say it but i wonder what the influx would look like if a state income tax went into effect
    You ain't lying.  I live off 22nd AVE N in St. Pete and in the past 5 years 275 has just gotten clogged up.  Doesn't need to be an accident or even rush hour; there are just so many cars on the highway that it all gets jammed up at every on ramp.  Saturday afternoons are bad now, for whatever reason.  Just too many people jammed into a little space without the commensurate increase in infrastructure.