Home General Hunting

Beardless gobbler

gottheitch22gottheitch22 fort Meade FLPosts: 4,413 Captain
How many people would pass on this gobbler even though he’s mature and with big hooks . Minus a beard 
living life as i like

Replies

• hoggatorhoggator Posts: 415 Deckhand
    For sure, I would choot’m. 
  • awayaway Posts: 452 Deckhand
    If he's truly mature, which he appears to be, I wouldn't pass. For me, turkey hunting is about the excitement of hunting a mature bird, not necessarily the trophies.

Do you have other pics of this bird? Wondering why he's missing a beard. Maybe beard rot?

FWIW, we killed a bird this year that had such a long skinny beard that it tucked nicely into his breast feathers. Almost let him walk until he strutted and showed a full fan. Even after rolling him over the beard still didn't expose itself til we dug around for it. First time I'd ever seen something like that. 
  • gottheitch22gottheitch22 fort Meade FLPosts: 4,413 Captain
    away said:
    If he's truly mature, which he appears to be, I wouldn't pass. For me, turkey hunting is about the excitement of hunting a mature bird, not necessarily the trophies.

Do you have other pics of this bird? Wondering why he's missing a beard. Maybe beard rot?

FWIW, we killed a bird this year that had such a long skinny beard that it tucked nicely into his breast feathers. Almost let him walk until he strutted and showed a full fan. Even after rolling him over the beard still didn't expose itself til we dug around for it. First time I'd ever seen something like that. 
    had a couple other pics but they got deleted . Friend passed on him once . He's got big hooks and full fan . if he came in gobbling to me he would be dead . 
    living life as i like
  • awayaway Posts: 452 Deckhand
    Was just curious if you knew more of the history with this bird. But yea, I'd roll him if given the opportunity.
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 2,414 Captain

This one had no sign of ever having spurs. Didn’t know, and sure didn’t care. Would’ve been the same without a beard.
    He looked it up and came up with something about only 2% of mature birds have no spurs.(??)
    Made him feel like he actually got a extra special one.
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • josh_scott84josh_scott84 Palm HarborPosts: 778 Officer
  • bowhunter4lifebowhunter4life Posts: 1,727 Captain
    Never ran across a gobbler with no beard, and always thought they needed a beard to be legal... I always let jakes walk, but a mature bird without a beard  I will shoot ,now that I know.it’s legal.
  • swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 2,507 Captain
    I let one like him walk, gobbling and strutting. Never again - only chance I had that season in Spring of 2005. That season after three hurricanes went through here in 2004 - gobblers were scarce.
    I noticed a squirrel, a crow, and maybe a blind. Is that one of your deer setups? 
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 2,414 Captain
    I noticed that it was an awfully bright night also.
    Then I noticed the "wildgame" logo and understood.
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • PinmanPinman Posts: 3,033 Captain
    edited May 6 #12
    Id shoot a t u r d  if it came in struttin and gobblin....
    swampdog said:
    I noticed a squirrel, a crow, and maybe a blind. Is that one of your deer setups? 

swampdog said:
    Wish I could have hunted private land this year . First year in I don’t know how long I did not kill a Osceola let alone tag out . But got 3 friends birds on public . 
    living life as i like
    swampdog said:
    I can only shoot hogs there 
    living life as i like
  • joekat46joekat46 North PortPosts: 2,639 Captain
    Puzzler?  Most every state I've hunted says "Bearded birds only" for spring hunts.  That includes the occasional bearded hen but not sure about a beardless gobbler being legal.  Have to look it up.  
  • joekat46joekat46 North PortPosts: 2,639 Captain
    edited May 7 #16
    Just looked it up and Florida does read differently than most specifying only gobblers or bearded birds.  Must be why when I took a bird on a quota hunt (2017) and was field checked by a FWC officer he told me to keep the head on the bird until I got home.  He didn't seem to care about the beard.  I've been looking at a western state hunt yet this season and know two states I'm considering require the beard to remain attached while being transported.  Good to learn new stuff.
  • drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,698 Captain
    We had an old gobbler killed on our lease this year that had no beard. Very long spurs, and a large wattle. A very big mature bird. The bird didn`t even have the typical papilla where the beard grows from.
     I am glad this one was taken out of the gene pool. 
    Similar to a 5 year old spike buck, don`t need that one doing any breeding.................
    Hey Gott, sent you a pm some time ago. Don’t know if you saw it or not.
    I would most likely shoot that hen and make wing bone calls. That’s a better beard than a lot of gobblers. 
    swampdog said:
    Hey Gott, sent you a pm some time ago. Don’t know if you saw it or not.
    just seen it 
    living life as i like