Home General Fishing

Re-power: New? Used? New boat/motor?

Caxambas KidCaxambas Kid Posts: 211 Deckhand
On Friday, April 30th, my 2000 year 115 C-series Yamaha 2-stroke left me with metal on metal grinding at full throttle. Pulled back and shut it off. Naughty words. Cranked it back up hoping to get to the ramp @ 5mph. 20 minutes later, DONE! Engine would not even turn, never mind start. The motor gove me 18 years of solid performance. 2 water pumps, brushes in the starter and a carving of salt build-up in the water jackets were my ONLY issues. Now, the questions: My boat is a 2000 Polar 19' bay boat. I know it's not a Pathfinder, shearwater, etc., but it works. Trolling motor is 10 years old but recently rebuilt. Gauges don't work, but I never leave sight of land and always have at least 30 gallons of fuel. Trailer axels were replaced 2 years ago. Do I re-power with a new 115 4-stroke @ $13K?  Do I take a chance on a used 4-stroke? Or just bite the bullet and replace the whole shebang? Costs are a concern but not overwhelming. I'm 64 years old and in good health. Not looking for anything bigger, but have seen some nice 17" bay boats with 115's but don't know the new cost. Any constructive suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I fish out of Caxambas Pass and Bayview in Naples. I make a few trips a year to Pine Island Sound and the Skyway in St. Pete for reference of my type of inshore fishing.
Polar 1900 Yamaha 115

Replies

• smooth movesmooth move Posts: 511 Officer
    if you're thinking about a whole new boat, do some shopping. your old boat will start looking better and better. i bit the bullet and bought a new 4 stroke and did some sprucing up on my old boat. very happy with my decision.
    le se' bon ton roulet
  • 10kman10kman Posts: 777 Officer
       This probably not the time to buy new boat,motor&trailer because of
    the long wait.I'd probably go with new Yamaha because you might not
    have exchange the controls.
  • pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 4,597 Captain
    edited May 2 #4
    Pretty sure you can’t use the old controls on a new Yamaha, so check with your dealer on that. That hull was made by Dynasty, they made the same one for Fishmaster and a couple other mid tier boats. They came in 19, 21, and 23’ . I
    had a 21’for a bunch of years. Personally, I would keep the hull (I’m 62), and repower. Make sure it will handle the extra weight on the transom without getting the scuppers  under the water
  • xeniaxenia Posts: 956 Officer
    New boats are so overpriced you are better off re-powering your old boat if you're happy with it.  Fiberglass never gets old and everything else can be updated.  Just my 2 cents.
  • Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 1,269 Officer
    edited May 3 #6
    If your current hull is in decent condition and does what you want, just repower it. I had that same decision to make last fall, and got a new motor with warranty.

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 14,962 AG
    edited May 3 #7
    FYI last year my 200 Yam 2 stroke was giving me fits, i was throwing money at it left and right and finally sold it still running for about 3 grand.   Used that money plus some savings to repower my Sea Pro SV2100 with a 175 suzuki and I could not be happier.   Mine with a new Hydraulic steering system and 1000 worth of keel cleanup work was right at 17000 out the door.    I have read that the suzuki 140s are close to under 10k installed you might want to look at that, more power and less expensive than the yamaha.   As far as going with a new boat, they are insanely expensive I would (and did) repower.  my boat/motor is totally paid off and that's a great feeling.    
    EDIT: i estimated the mileage I used on Saturday at right around 80 total miles tootling around Tampa Bay and I don't think I used more than 20 gal of fuel total.  Right around 4.5-5 gph with 5 people and a cooler of ever dwindling beer/water/body armors 
    Yesterday's memories are not today's reality
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 1,548 Captain
    Repower. 
    Due to covid the wait time on new is long and all used boats are made of gold currently. 
    Jason :USA
  • snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 1,220 Officer
    Check with Sawyers Marine on Bayshore Drive. He may be able to help you. I always get good service and deals there.
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 4,597 Captain
    The wait on a new motor to repower could be long, also. Actually, probably will. I would look for a fairly new used motor. If you go new, I would take Sodas advice and get a Suzuki. It will defiantly be less than a Yamaha or a Merc. 
  • Caxambas KidCaxambas Kid Posts: 211 Deckhand
    All, Many thanks for the comments/suggestions. Another question..........If/when the repower happens with a 4-stroke, what do I do with the 40 gallons+/- of 50-1 oil/gas mix in my fuel tank?    I looked today @ Suzuki 140's. Approx $2k less than a 115 Yamaha. That's quite a difference and should cover remove/replace, controls, cables, etc.
    Polar 1900 Yamaha 115
  • Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 997 Officer
    All, Many thanks for the comments/suggestions. Another question..........If/when the repower happens with a 4-stroke, what do I do with the 40 gallons+/- of 50-1 oil/gas mix in my fuel tank?    I looked today @ Suzuki 140's. Approx $2k less than a 115 Yamaha. That's quite a difference and should cover remove/replace, controls, cables, etc.
    You can probably find a lawn care business that will give that 2 stroke gas mix a good home.  They're not too picky about their fuel.
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,195 Moderator
    I'm on my third set of engines on my 1988 Lionmar CC.  Came with 150 Seadrives ( Biggest pieces of crap OMC ever made)  then a pair of 200 Yam's on a bracket, now a pair of 175 Suzuki's which I love.  Great hull
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 1,351 Officer
    The main consideration is the condition of your hull/fuel tank. The fuel tank is good for around 10-12 years. In the last few years I repowered two old boats -  a 20' 1986 Mako and a 26' 1981 Anacapri. Both boats had undergone upgrades with new fuel tanks, decks, etc. Came out way better financially than buying new, and you can't beat the older hulls for strength and ride. Went with Yamaha, but I think all of the new engines are pretty good.