Skip to main content
Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Rhodan 96” on Grady White 306

I’m going to join the new lazy generation I guess. Happens when you get older. I’m sure I’ll have a bunch of questions for guys that have already done this. From what I hear it’s really a game changer.  

2400 CC Sea Chaser-Yamaha F250-Bad **** Tower (SOLD)
Grady White 306 Bimini 300 Suzukis
Hurricane 246 FunDeck

Replies

• clarosaclarosa Posts: 942 Officer
    We put one on our 36' cc charter boat and it is really a game changer. Takes like an hour to learn how to use correctly and the little jog buttons are awesome. It's not even fair. I feel I am very very good at anchoring/positioning but the rhodan will keep you within 5-8' with no swinging like an anchor. 
    SnappaSlappa jigs, Made By Fisherman FOR fisherman

https://snappaslappa.com/collections/jigs
  • MulletoverMulletover Posts: 19 Deckhand
    clarosa said:
    We put one on our 36' cc charter boat and it is really a game changer. Takes like an hour to learn how to use correctly and the little jog buttons are awesome. It's not even fair. I feel I am very very good at anchoring/positioning but the rhodan will keep you within 5-8' with no swinging like an anchor. 
    I was concerned about putting one on my 33’ Everglades, and whether it would do the job on a heavy boat this size. It seems like they are installing these on bigger cc’s all the time. My anchoring skills leave a lot to be desired. Is there any downside to installing one other than the expense?
  • EarthmoverEarthmover Posts: 413 Deckhand
    I went from an 84” to the 96”.   The 96” stays in the water a lot better for me in the rollers.  Eaven  on semi rough days it will hold you good.  Very windy days and ripping tide are hard on it, but it still is a heck of a lot better then dropping the anchor.   You will love it, according to my wife it’s the best thing we have ever bought for the boat.
    clarosa said:
    I was concerned about putting one on my 33’ Everglades, and whether it would do the job on a heavy boat this size. It seems like they are installing these on bigger cc’s all the time. My anchoring skills leave a lot to be desired. Is there any downside to installing one other than the expense?
    The only downside is you do lose your front of the bow having that 8' trolling motor up there. Also it will add a couple hundred pounds to your boat. One last thing it is def a tangle hazard up front. Have to be careful fishing with a bow directional current. We have had a couple anglers get caught in the trolling motor.  The only downsides I have experienced so far. The pluses far outweigh the drawbacks.

• CaptainBlyCaptainBly Posts: 2,667 Captain
    But that 36 volt motor puts up a hell of a good fight...
    In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013
  • Grouper GeniusGrouper Genius Posts: 1,532 Captain
    clarosa said:
    clarosa said:
    The only downside is you do lose your front of the bow having that 8' trolling motor up there. Also it will add a couple hundred pounds to your boat. One last thing it is def a tangle hazard up front. Have to be careful fishing with a bow directional current. We have had a couple anglers get caught in the trolling motor.  The only downsides I have experienced so far. The pluses far outweigh the drawbacks.
    I have seen the motors mounted where they cross the bow. I’m trying to not do that and stow it along the top cap. Hopefully it works out. Attached pic is where it will mount in the front and hopefully where the head will be when stowed away. Boat is kept on a lift and I don’t need to tearing this bad boy off. 

Hurricane 246 FunDeck
    What do you guys use for charging the TM batteries? I ordered a Trollbridge 36 from yandina. Apparently it charges the batteries with the alternator output from the outboards. Seems like you could run the TM all day like that. 
    Hurricane 246 FunDeck
  • SmoothwaterSmoothwater South Pasadena Posts: 192 Deckhand
    Love my the rhodan 36V on the Everglades.  I'm running the 36V lipo to save weight, though it runs all day fine and haven't run it down yet.   
    Everglades 243
    Love my the rhodan 36V on the Everglades.  I'm running the 36V lipo to save weight, though it runs all day fine and haven't run it down yet.   
    Learn something new everyday... I never new there were single 36volt batteries. 
    Hurricane 246 FunDeck
    Muy expensive 
    Muy expensive 
    So is every trip to the fuel dock. Lol

Hurricane 246 FunDeck
  • cortrcortr Posts: 517 Officer
    Minnkota “Precision” chargers are very reliable. Available in one to four bank models
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 16,475 AG
    It's only expensive if you can't afford it.   Expensive is a subjective term.  I've seen $5,000 boats that were expensive to people with no money and i've seen 150,000 CCs that weren't expensive to guys who were loaded.   

Pretty sure Bill Gate's ex wife could buy every boat owned on this forum and never bat an eyelash
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
    Any of you guys that have them, have you ever pitched the hook then use the TM to keep you from swinging? 

I’m thinking less draw on batteries if it’s only keeping left-right.
    Hurricane 246 FunDeck
    That is an interesting concept but me personally would be happy if I NEVER have to thrown the anchor again....
  • drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,896 Captain
    Finally decided to join the club. Mine is going on next week. Decided to go with Minn Kota and the 36 Volt lithium battery to save weight and space.  Had to get a Shuttle Slide and have a wedge fabricated so it would not interfere with the oversized anchor hatch on the Sea Vee. I wanted it to lay down the gunnel not across the bow.  Hopefully things go as planned. I will post up some pictures when it is finished.  

You are going to love it.  Total Game Changer...
  • Skeg RunnerSkeg Runner Posts: 9 Deckhand
    I had similar concerns about my 84" rhodan taking up bow space and wanted it to run down the rail like you have in the pictures. The only way I could do it and get the correct alignment for the trolling motor to clear was to build a bracket that allowed the trolling motor to be mounted "offset".  Now the shaft runs strait down my rail and is completely out of the way.  It will also clear the anchor and windless. 
    All installed. Haven’t tried it fishing yet, but I will this weekend. Actually surprised at how well it held in a strong outgoing tide. 

Hurricane 246 FunDeck
    Can’t figure out video. 
    Hurricane 246 FunDeck
  • SmoothwaterSmoothwater South Pasadena Posts: 192 Deckhand
    FYI not sure what 36V lipo you got but I'm running the Victron Smart Shunt to monitor the battery through my Ipad while we are out fishing.  Nice install! 

https://www.victronenergy.com/battery-monitors/smart-battery-shunt  
    Everglades 243
  • rchipbrownrchipbrown Posts: 20 Deckhand
    Am I correct that you put it on a swivel mount and have to rotate it before deploying it?  I had a prior trolling motor on a swivel but the swivel mount kept breaking.  Now I have my Rhodan on an extension plate (like one of the other posters above) to avoid having to use the swivel.

I think the need for trolling motors/gps anchors on bigger boats is going to disappear due to yamaha helm master and similar systems of other engine mfgrs.
    Am I correct that you put it on a swivel mount and have to rotate it before deploying it?  I had a prior trolling motor on a swivel but the swivel mount kept breaking.  Now I have my Rhodan on an extension plate (like one of the other posters above) to avoid having to use the swivel.

I think the need for trolling motors/gps anchors on bigger boats is going to disappear due to yamaha helm master and similar systems of other engine mfgrs.

If the swivel breaks I will go with the bigger platform. 

As far as helm master, there’s only about a $20K difference. Plus motors kicking in and out of gear constantly while your bottom fishing. I’ll pass.
    Hurricane 246 FunDeck
  • drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,896 Captain
    Got to text my GPS anchor system today.  Flat calm in 95 feet so it really wasn’t a serious test. But it sure beats anchoring!
    This is going to seriously hurt the fish. Red grouper were easy. Released numerous ARS and gags. 
    Shout out to Frankie, Shane and James at Left Coast Boatworks they did some serious fabrication to make it work on the Sea Vee without interfering with my anchor locker.
  • The SlugThe Slug Posts: 6 Deckhand
    Take the Rhodan back ASAP, non stop issues with these things, had one catch on fire during a trip. Going with a Minn Kota here on out.
  • Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 1,157 Officer
    The Slug said:
    Take the Rhodan back ASAP, non stop issues with these things, had one catch on fire during a trip. Going with a Minn Kota here on out.
    I've never heard anything bad said about Rhodans thus far.  If you've had non-stop issues and an electrical fire, perhaps there are some issues with your wiring?  Just saying...
  • The SlugThe Slug Posts: 6 Deckhand
    The Slug said:
    I've never heard anything bad said about Rhodans thus far.  If you've had non-stop issues and an electrical fire, perhaps there are some issues with your wiring?  Just saying...
    Had it for 2 years, sent in for repairs at least 10 times during that span. One thing I'll say is their customer service is top notch but they haven't worked out all the bugs. The things are dangerous, just want to warn people about them.

I'm not the only one with this experience....

https://forums.floridasportsman.com/discussion/280350/dont-buy-rhodan

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/1097340-rhodan-troubles.html
  • BleufinnBleufinn PanhandlePosts: 1 Greenhorn
    Do you have completed pic of your install on the 306 Canyon? I am wanting to put one on but would like to see the finished mount, if possible. Thanks
    I have used our Rhodan on about 15 charters/trips so far and have incurred my first major issue with the Rhodan. The gear drive that turns the motor seems to have stripped out rendering the motor useless halfway into my charter yesterday. Contacted Rhodan when we pulled into dock around 4:30 and they offered to send a new gear for us to replace asap. They said that the stripping was caused by use in too rough of conditions. It was 3-4's for 3 of the last 5 trips but nothing too crazy. I would think being it has a 96" shaft, that it was made for 3-4' seas but I guess not. As for slugs problems, do you have a breaker connected to your trolling motor before the batteries? That should avoid any overheating or shorting problems. My other capt. installs them as his other job and I brought that up and he said that should never happen if there is a breaker. All in all, seems I've seen problems here and there with both brand motors and I'm hoping they keep upping their product. 

• SeaSearcherSeaSearcher west FlPosts: 181 Deckhand
    Buddy's Rhodan strips gears all the time and he doesn't go if it's rough.  He's got it on a 31 contender which I'm sure the weight of boat max's out everything on the tm. He's babying it now, stops boat totally before deploying to keep the extra torque(current) off the gears when turned on, also tries to get down current/wind of spot so it's a straight shot to get on it. Aims tm straight ahead to reduce drag when idling around.  His tm has had all kinds of issues, should have been covered under lemon law.  It's also every tm make/model out there, they all have issues at one time or another, my MK had issues all the time and so does a lot of other peoples, if you don't believe it, just go to a repair shop and look at how busy they are(most are still under warranty).