Skip to main content
Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Typical End To Spring Kingfish Run

I've read plenty of threads about when this run starts. Most mention water temp reaching around 70?  But when does it typically end?  Is there a water temp that usually causes them to leave?  Are they still around right now?

Replies

• hook_emhook_em Posts: 291 Deckhand
    I talked to a captain last night who assured me that, yes, they are still around.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 16,488 AG
    was thinking of going out of bayport saturday.  we'll see if the weather agrees 
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
  • Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 3,452 Moderator
    Definitely still around, hell, King of the Beach is this weekend. They usually start to head north mid May or so.
  • terdfergusonterdferguson Posts: 101 Deckhand
    Definitely still around, hell, King of the Beach is this weekend. They usually start to head north mid May or so.
    Thanks!
  • Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 1,157 Officer
    King of the Beach can't happen this weekend; wind forecasts are under 20 knots.
    edited April 2021 #7
    I saw forecast 3-4 out of clearwater unless NOAA is dead wrong, which they never are ;) 

that was  yesterday's forecast, today's update shows 6mph winds and flat.   so we're going to head down to my daughters place on Friday night probably launch out of Bay Pines and take a peek out of Johns pass see how things look.   Fish a little then hit the sandbar w the girls.  It's been a LOOOOOONG time, hell it's been a year since that yamaha started acting up almost to the day.   
  • MulletFordMulletFord TampaPosts: 211 Deckhand
    King of the Beach can't happen this weekend; wind forecasts are under 20 knots.
    hahahaha
    Regulator 24fs
    23' Pursuit CC
    "Aint no point getting out of bed if you aint living the dream" - Sturgill Simpson 
  • RennieRaeRennieRae Posts: 795 Officer
    Anyone know the results of the KOB tourney yesterday?  We were going to head out to the whistler but it was pretty rough in the morning (surprisingly, considering the winds were light) so decided to stay shallower and ended up with some decent fish for the smoker...
    Bob 

17 ft. Ankona Native with 40 hp Suzuki 4 stroke 
    edited May 2021 #10
    We fished Saturday, and by god it was a **** show out there.   O'Neils was full at 0630 so we turned around in there and went to maximo.   I stopped to stage, and as I did 4-6 guys went right around me to stage at the ramp like fools.   I was vocal about not doing that but it's an exercise in futility.     We fished around the bay a bit, toadfish, shark, sand perch.  we were using cut whitebait, no chum.   Called it a day around 1130 went and picked up the girls at the ramp.   Went to pass a grille to try and relax, but it was unreal, boats on top of boats, water was nutz so we packed up after a pontoon just about smashed into us trying to anchor then asked us for help (no clue what they were doing)  Went over to BCI found a place to hang out for a few hours because i wasn't about to go back to the ramp at 3pm for that mess.   Went in around 6 to the ramp and had no issues recovering and going to the house.   Ate some Dickey's bbq and passed out at 8pm exhausted.   
    was nice to get back out on the water and get some hrs on that motor.   
  • hook_emhook_em Posts: 291 Deckhand
    RennieRae said:
    Anyone know the results of the KOB tourney yesterday?  We were going to head out to the whistler but it was pretty rough in the morning (surprisingly, considering the winds were light) so decided to stay shallower and ended up with some decent fish for the smoker...
    I talked to a guy that went to that fished that area.  He said there were boats everywhere.
    just as we cleared the last channel marker in the bay on the north side by the fishing piers, we saw a boat stopped, and a guy in the water hanging off the back.  Looked like it was a big enough boat to have an enclosed head, but he might have needed to drop a deuce and had to jump in.   Other than that i couldn't think of a reason to be in the water.  
  • LostconchLostconch Posts: 1,074 Officer
    Just in case I needed a reminder of why I left the  bay area thank you