Skip to main content
Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Sebastian Area Late May Early June

Hunt2871Hunt2871 Washington StatePosts: 7 Deckhand
I will be in the Floridana Beach area the last week of May and the first week of June and will be doing some surf fishing.  I haven't been in the area in years but I am planning on retiring in the area in the next 7 - 10 years and getting a start on learning the ropes.  I am planning on flat lining live baits and hoping to find some Snook on the beach but I'm also planning on doing some night fishing and throwing some lures early on the river side.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated....not looking for spots but lures, rigs, that sort of thing.

Also interested in finding out if anyone does any dock light guiding in the area?  

Finally, and this may be internet scouting and if so I apologize ahead of time, but if anyone has some suggestions where I might make bait...pinfish, croakers.....I would appreciate it.  Plan is to castnet the beach and possibly fish a sabiki tipped with shrimp on the beach for croakers and pinfish....is that realistic?  There used to be some good bait shops in the area but good bait shops are far and few between now and most open about the time I would like to be fishing LOL.

Thanks for any advice....I am not looking for anyone's honey holes just ideas of baits and lures and general areas...I probably will stay away from the inlet madhouse as there used to be more than enough folks there on most days.  

Replies

• duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,265 AG
    If 7 - 10 years is your timeline...I would come see what the river side gives you now...factor in what you think it may be then...and revisit my plan. If inshore fishing is an any way being factored it...I would think hard...real hard. May into June should give you beach snook.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • Hunt2871Hunt2871 Washington StatePosts: 7 Deckhand
    Thanks for the information.  As it happens we have found a townhouse in Grant that we are planning on looking at if it hasn't sold by the end of the month.  It almost looks like its near perfect.  If the development allows renters for a few years we may well buy it.  I think I would prefer the mainland anyway....
  • Hunt2871Hunt2871 Washington StatePosts: 7 Deckhand
    Update on trip - Did well in the surf on snook.....managed to land 3 over slot and had several others come unbuttoned when trying to beach them....gotta improve that technique LOL.  Also caught 2 redfish and numerous whiting on fish bites and pomp rigs.  Slayed the Spanish two mornings in a row and then they dissapeared...small fish all of them but LOTS of them.  No pomps but a guy next to me was catching a bunch one morning on sand fleas....I didn't even bother trying to rake any up, to busy flat lining croakers in some pretty bad (for me) surf. Had 3- 4 good fish a morning on in the surf with most breaking off or throwing the hook...I think the sharks were at work several times but they cut off so quick hard to tell.  Worked hard to make bait but did manage a dozen or so croakers / pinfish a day to keep the bait bucket servicable.  All in all a great trip.  

Liked the area....was not prepared for the traffic (holiday weekend first week though) and low speed limits making a short trip a half day affair....not certain if it is where we want to retire or not but still on the list.  Definitely more interested in being on the river side and not dealing with A1A daily....

Did manage to find a young man who was guiding and we fished the dock lights one night....got bit left and right, anytime you could get a bait to the lights.  Caught my PB trout (about 24 inches) and a Tarpon about 10 pounds....and the Mangrove Snapper were on fire....snook everywhere but my casting wasn't up to snuff to skip a small bait far enough under the docks to get bit.....practice practice practice LOL!

• BottomBumpinBottomBumpin Jax BeachPosts: 1,880 Captain
    sounds like success to me!