Home Photography Corner

What Flavor Owl ??

gogittumgogittum SW New MexicoPosts: 2,477 Captain

Ever since I've lived here I've been hearing what I believe to be Owls hooting in the big Oak trees in my yard.  Really loud and different to any I've heard before.  Picture a very large, loud Parrot trying to imitate a Dove.....Hoh hoh hoh hooo hoooaaawww, very loud, very sharp..  Sometimes 2 or more will get together and the noise is amazing.  Never have gotten a look at them.

Today I was walking my Dog in a semi-cleared area 1/2 mile away and heard 2 of them again.  These were up in one of the huge Pecan trees there and I saw one move, so snuck around for a better look.  Light was from the right side and 3/4 behind it, so exposure was difficult.  I shot at a high telephoto setting from about 100 ft away and cropped the shot heavily.  This shot took a lot of editing to show anything.  I'd guess it's 8 or 10 inches tall.

Does anyone know what type of Owl this is ??

Replies

• 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 2,612 Captain
    Barred owl, most common around here.
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • gogittumgogittum SW New MexicoPosts: 2,477 Captain
    4WARD said:
    Barred owl, most common around here.
    Thanks.  Sure are vocal things.
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 3,588 Captain
    Great Horned Owl

Yah, I've run into some of those in my travels, too.  Very big birds.
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 3,588 Captain
    gogittum said:
    Yah, I've run into some of those in my travels, too.  Very big birds.
    They are big.  My brother had one as a pet.
    Have you read "Owls In the Family," by Farley Mowatt ??  Hilarious.  He also wrote "Never Cry Wolf," another terrific read....."The Boat Who Wouldn't Float," and many more serious ones.   He was a fanatical activist, but his early books were great.
  • Sixth GenerationSixth Generation Posts: 910 Officer
    Gogitum,  that is definitely a barred owl.  They are nesting right now and they are very vocal birds.  Turkeys hate them.  We have a pair that nest in the back yard.  In a couple months when the young ones fledge they end up on the ground for a few days until they get good at flying.  You will see the parents down low on fences and you will know there is a chick on the ground.  
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,731 AG

The "who cooks for you" owl.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield

Out back tonight.  The female is still on the nest in the sycamore tree...
  • Jstubby2Jstubby2 Lat -90 Long +90 👍Posts: 764 Officer
    Wow, nice shot. They should be feeding babies about now which makes them a little more active.
    I'll keep watch.  Lots of them here and they're sure noisy. 😊 

First one out of the nest this morning...  he will bounce around for a couple days figuring out his wings...
    Both are down this evening.  There may still be one in the nest as the female is still in the tree...  going to be a fun week watching them fully fledge.
    I've been watching and listening but they seem to have pretty much shut off around here.  I've been walking my dog about a mile a day thru brush/woods and paying close attention.  It'd be great to get some pics of the kids, but so far, no go.
    They sit and hide all day.  If you go out before dark is when you will see them moving around and practicing their flight skills. They make a high pitched whistle.  You will hear them calling to their parents...
    They were in the neighbors tree and fence tonight.  The smaller one is on the fence.  The mom is still on the nest in the tree so there may be another one...  the dad is watching over the teo already out of the nest.
  • treemanjohntreemanjohn Posts: 7,314 Admiral
    edited May 11 #22
    My wife shot this with her phone a few weeks ago

We’re like the piggy bank that everybody is robbing, and that ends
  • Billy No MatesBilly No Mates Posts: 3,392 Captain
    I just had 4 screech Owl chicks leave the nest in the back yard a few weeks ago.

Very cool, I have one of those eye ball shots on my phone, I was standing in the driveway at dusk & saw something drop out of a palm tree in the front bed then go back up. Spotted it, got the wife & a mag light & whent back for a look. Could still see it pretty good with naked eye but all the phone picked up was a faint siloute & a pair of glowing eyes. Would probably make a cool picture if developed properly. Took a good minute or more to spot it & I knew exactly where it was at. It was in a dark phase & really blended in up against the trunk of that palm. Neat bird you can call them in pretty easy & I hear them pretty regular just don't see them often.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 10,787 AG
    Down here in South Florida on the East Coast most of our owls are the little tiny burrowing owls. Unfortunately over development has pretty much wiped them out. I used to have one come and sit on my porch rail almost every night but unfortunately no longer. 

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

Yes I used see a ton of them out in the pastures & fields when riding my horse or dirt bike, funny bird to watch, bobbing up & down trying to get a better look or intimidate you I guess. I spent many hours following my dog on the dirt bike while she chased jack rabbits down there. Those jack rabbits have like a 6 speed transmission, when they hit high gear they are shooting a 10' rooster tail in that white sugar sand. Mix in withe the night hawks dive bombing the bugs we would stir up & it added up to a whole lot of fun!
  • Billy No MatesBilly No Mates Posts: 3,392 Captain
    Jstubby2 said:
    Very cool, I have one of those eye ball shots on my phone, I was standing in the driveway at dusk & saw something drop out of a palm tree in the front bed then go back up. Spotted it, got the wife & a mag light & whent back for a look. Could still see it pretty good with naked eye but all the phone picked up was a faint siloute & a pair of glowing eyes. Would probably make a cool picture if developed properly. Took a good minute or more to spot it & I knew exactly where it was at. It was in a dark phase & really blended in up against the trunk of that palm. Neat bird you can call them in pretty easy & I hear them pretty regular just don't see them often.

This pair have been nesting in a hole in a tree in my back yard for at least 4 years. I have hundreds of photo's and videos of them. Such a pleasure to watch them and the chicks every year.
  • bowhunter4lifebowhunter4life Posts: 1,880 Captain
    Saw this one driving through a wma last week. Must have had a chick nearby, because she wasn’t afraid of me.
    What is that below the Owl, (Barred owl) 
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 15,158 AG
    The picture of the eyes is cool.  

There was a cut on the st John's we used to take a rented pontoon down.   One time we had adult owls doing fly bys and landing on the rails.  You could see the babies in the trees.  I said someone has been feeding them.  The place we rented from confirmed the eco boat has been giving them shiners.  Wish I knew that before we went out I would have brought some snacks for them.
    Just dropping grenades in OT
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 16,284 AG
    Bunch of very cool pictures.   I don't know why but Owls are a species i'm always fascinated to see out in the woods.  I have seen them hunt squirrels over a corn pile i was hunting deer on.   
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life