Home General Freshwater Fishing

sinker shape?

ivnivn gvillePosts: 76 Deckhand
Happened to get some whole chickens this weekend, including liver/gizzard/etc in bags.

Had a few hours yesterday, weather was wonderful, grabbed the son and one of my cheap saltwater spinning combos and hit the local river (Santa Fe river up here in Alachua/Columbia county), stuck some liver on a hook and popped it out.

Did manager to catch one very nice catfish, but had a bear of a time bringing it in.  Had a second hook up but ended up loosing the fish.

In both cases, I think it was my weight.  Was using a 2oz pyramid sinker, rigged up just like I use off shell mound for whatever is biting out there.   Anyway, I believe the shape of the pyramid sinker was getting caught/tangled in the river grass roots, etc.

I'm not sure an egg sinker would be much better.   What other shapes should I be looking for out there?  Also thinking of changing to a 3 way swivel and on the weight drop just using much lighter line so a tangled weight should break off/free fairly easily....

Suggestions?

Replies

• LostconchLostconch Posts: 928 Officer
    edited April 13 #2
    There are sinkers called bank sinkers they are kind of pear shaped. 1 ounce would probably do unless current is up. I would rig them like a drop shot
  • tankeredtankered Gainesvill, FlPosts: 823 Officer
    Never been a fan of pyramids for any application.
  • ivnivn gvillePosts: 76 Deckhand
    tankered said:

What do you prefer for a non-boating (yet) fisherman who is fishing in heavy current?  I've found that the egg sinkers tend to roll unless you really go heavy, but the pyramids stay put.

Usually rigging carolina style...
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 9,272 Admiral
    For surf fishing I have had fairly good luck with sputnik sinkers I don’t know how small they make them for freshwater use

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• ivnivn gvillePosts: 76 Deckhand
    For surf fishing I have had fairly good luck with sputnik sinkers I don’t know how small they make them for freshwater use

Those are the ones w/ the legs that go into the sand right?  I think that would be worse.  Think about the grass flats - and then imagine a fresh water version of those in a river flowing 2-3 mph.   I think my line was wedging thru and the pyramid weight was getting caught up right at the base of them.  Also entirely possible I hit a spring hole and the weight got caught/wedged on the edge.... Probably ought to grab a mask and snorkel and see what I can see :)
  • tankeredtankered Gainesvill, FlPosts: 823 Officer
    ivn said:
    tankered said:

What do you prefer for a non-boating (yet) fisherman who is fishing in heavy current?  I've found that the egg sinkers tend to roll unless you really go heavy, but the pyramids stay put.

Usually rigging carolina style...

To be honest when fishing heavy current on foot (mostly beach for me) I don't want the bait to stay in one place. Doesn't look natural that way. I'll cast and let it roll around until it gets hit or washed down or back to shore. 

Reel up, check bait, cast again. Same with fishing bridges with heavy current like the ones in the Keys, you don't really want your bait sitting there spinning around stationary in the current while everything else is flying by.

That said, I understand that catfishing is a different game and you may want a stationary presentation. 

Maybe go a couple ounces heavier with an egg sinker, then you'll hold the bottom without so many hangups. 
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,487 Moderator
    There is a "river" no roll sinker that is flat tear drop design. Won't roll like an egg or hang like a pyramid. 

Image result for no roll river sinkers
    "You'll get your weather"
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,487 Moderator
    Also a coin type ...

Image result for no roll river sinkers
    "You'll get your weather"
  • LostconchLostconch Posts: 928 Officer
    you can rig either of those like a drop shot as well
  • 1FSM1FSM Posts: 147 Deckhand
    When we were kids we used large washers.  The flat profile didn't catch much water so didn't move very much.

• SuperMutuSuperMutu Posts: 478 Deckhand
    ivn said:
    Happened to get some whole chickens this weekend, including liver/gizzard/etc in bags.

Had a few hours yesterday, weather was wonderful, grabbed the son and one of my cheap saltwater spinning combos and hit the local river (Santa Fe river up here in Alachua/Columbia county), stuck some liver on a hook and popped it out.

Did manager to catch one very nice catfish, but had a bear of a time bringing it in.  Had a second hook up but ended up loosing the fish.

In both cases, I think it was my weight.  Was using a 2oz pyramid sinker, rigged up just like I use off shell mound for whatever is biting out there.   Anyway, I believe the shape of the pyramid sinker was getting caught/tangled in the river grass roots, etc.

I'm not sure an egg sinker would be much better.   What other shapes should I be looking for out there?  Also thinking of changing to a 3 way swivel and on the weight drop just using much lighter line so a tangled weight should break off/free fairly easily....

Suggestions?

Back in Ohio if I fished an area that snagged a lot of lead I made a sinker with several large split shot, a length of mono and a swivel.
    Basically making a version of a bank sinker but if the lead hung up they would just slip off the line.
  • jt904jt904 Central FloridaPosts: 68 Deckhand
    Just use a knocker rig, the weight will stay but the line can still slide thru once on the bottom to look more natural