Skip to main content
Home General Fishing

Deep Dropping Questions

brocktnormanbrocktnorman MiamiPosts: 10 Deckhand
Will be purchasing a shimano beastmaster to deep drop off miami using 3-8lb lead. Now the question about braid shows up. Was wanting some input from experienced deep droppers about braid to spool this reel. Thinking 60lb momoi hollow core. Any suggestions?

Replies

• pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 5,302 Admiral
    Whatever brand, I’d move up to at least 100#. 
  • brianbbrianb Posts: 2,491 Captain
    edited April 2021 #3
    most common is 65lb, some use 80, I have heard of none using 100lb. not hollow. Lots of current off miami
  • K-DawgK-Dawg Posts: 256 Deckhand
    brianb said:
    most common is 65lb, some use 80, I have heard of none using 100lb. not hollow. Lots of current off miami
    This.

Solid braid for deep fishing because it's solid and round, for less resistance in the current.

I have 65lb on my deep drop reel, but I would probably go 50lb if I were to do it again.
  • MangroveMarkMangroveMark Oak HillPosts: 492 Deckhand
    65lb is plenty since it actually breaks at over 80 lbs and you are more likely to break your rod or reel at that pressure. Your Beastmaster can supply about half that amount of drag but could either lock up or blow up. Anyway, you don't want to fish that much drag as some slippage is better so you don't spin off a big golden or bucket mouth snowy. Also, always rig a lighter mono break away piece just above your lead in case you hang the bottom.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 12,440 AG
    edited April 2021 #6
    65lb is plenty since it actually breaks at over 80 lbs and you are more likely to break your rod or reel at that pressure. Your Beastmaster can supply about half that amount of drag but could either lock up or blow up. Anyway, you don't want to fish that much drag as some slippage is better so you don't spin off a big golden or bucket mouth snowy. Also, always rig a lighter mono break away piece just above your lead in case you hang the bottom.
    ^ This, I even sometimes use another very small 2" breakaway between the deep drop leader and the swivel on the braid when fishing very snaggy areas. Usually it is the sinker that hangs but sometimes a hook wiill catch some braid or debris on or near a wreck and you hate to lose a bunch of spectra.. 

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 5,302 Admiral
    Hmmmm, guess we just lucked out over the last 20 years. We always used 100, and never hollow core. Never had issues catching fish or holding bottom. We also never fished anywhere but the Bahamas, so usually not a lot of current. I don’t know if the heavier line/hollow core would have made any difference or not. I’ll take you guys that fish this side at your word for it. 
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 12,440 AG
    Everywhere is different. I fished 130 in the Bahamas but the current smokes off of S. Florida and lighter is often better. Plus we aren't catching giant Mystics on this side either. A 30lb Golden is about the biggest food fish you catch unless you are Swordfishing or hook a Shark.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• XafXaf Posts: 1,132 Officer
    I use 50 lb when deep dropping at Pulley Ridge and beyond.  Doesn't seem like there is much difference in diameter between 50 lb and 65 lb but the higher the breaking strength the more the current affects the line and more weight is required to keep your bait down on the bottom.