Skip to main content
Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Sirius Weather

I'm trying to figure out which sirius marine package to get.

It looks like the choices are 

Inland - 14.99 a month
Coastal - 34.99 a month
offshore - 59.99 a month
fish mapping - 99.99 a month

I've called siriusxm and I didn't get much more info than what is on the website.

Honestly I think the only time I'll ever use this is for tracking storms, so I'm sort of leaning towards inland.  However, I can't see what kind of range it offers.  Can I see weather radar 50 miles offshore with that package or do I need to get coastal or offshore?

Any feedback on this would be really helpful.  Like features you use or don't use.

Thanks

Replies

• Mako224Mako224 Posts: 533 Officer
    I have coastal program and no issues and I fish out 40-50. It tracks across the US. The offshore > think tracks more other stuff but the weather is the same
  • hook_emhook_em Posts: 291 Deckhand
    Mako224 said:
    I have coastal program and no issues and I fish out 40-50. It tracks across the US. The offshore > think tracks more other stuff but the weather is the same
    Thanks.  This is good to know.  

I called a different number to just go ahead and get a free trial.  The guy knew more than  the first person I talked to but he told me the coastal would only go 25-30 nautical miles.  Nice to know it has better range than that.  I doubt I ever go that far anyway if the forecast is iffy.

Got the free trial that also came with radio.  Radio  works well but with a high sky there was no way to test the radar.  I'll give it another try today before the front comes in.

I couldn't really figure out what to do other than add an overlay to my chart.  I hope that's all I need to do.
  • hook_emhook_em Posts: 291 Deckhand
    Yeah, the overlay worked.  Got simrad radar, xm radar.  Should be good to go.
  • StratCasterStratCaster Posts: 115 Deckhand
    A benefit to me is the ability to turn the weather feature, and cost, on and off on demand.  If have SiriusXM radio on the boat all the time.  I only activate the weather in the summer since that's when I'm mostly offshore.  The weather works well.  I tried the fish mapping last summer and it wasn't any help.  
  • CaptainBlyCaptainBly Posts: 2,667 Captain
    Burch, for a real test, quick run out to the boat and see what Sirius says RIGHT NOW....

In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013
  • Mako224Mako224 Posts: 533 Officer
    I am intrigued in the range they provided. I read storms coming across from panhandle and Texas. It has helped.many times fishing at night. A storm 120 miles away seems to be next to you at night. 
  • FinalRoudFinalRoud SW FloridaPosts: 18 Deckhand
    I am interested in this also as I would like to be able to see summer thunderstorms coming at me while 50-80 miles offshore. For those of you that have it, will I be able to see storms that far offshore with the Coastal package or will I need the Offshore package? Their website is not specific about the range for weather info, only regarding SST's +-24nm.
  • crc353crc353 Posts: 12 Deckhand
    I have the coastal. You can see the weather radar for whole country. 
  • FinalRoudFinalRoud SW FloridaPosts: 18 Deckhand
    Thank u crc, that is most helpful.