Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Proper radio check procedure

weather is getting nice and I would like to make sure I’m being as safe as possible, can somebody please go over the proper radio check procedure if leaving out of St. Aug. What do you call yourself if your boat has no name. Just want to make sure I’m doing it correct and not clogging the airwaves with unnessary info. 

Replies

• RedactionRedaction Posts: 1,643 Captain
    I’d like to know as well, and can someone also tell me the correct way to request a bridge opening. I go through the Ortega Bridge frequently and recently received feedback from the tender that he needed the vessel name before he’d open the bridge. Been going through that bridge forever and usually say “Ortega River bridge can I get an opening“? 

Thanks 
  • Bill DuaneBill Duane Posts: 307 Deckhand
    edited April 8 #3
    Redaction said:
    I’d like to know as well, and can someone also tell me the correct way to request a bridge opening. I go through the Ortega Bridge frequently and recently received feedback from the tender that he needed the vessel name before he’d open the bridge. Been going through that bridge forever and usually say “Ortega River bridge can I get an opening“? 

Thanks 

In Florida use Chanel 9, Hail the bridge 3 times by it's proper name, give them the name of your boat. If you don't have a name say "no name" followed by your FL numbers and ask the time of the next opening. You should also know the clearance your boat needs. All of this info is logged by the bridge tender and remember they will treat you as well as you treat them. 
    Tony Roma said:
    weather is getting nice and I would like to make sure I’m being as safe as possible, can somebody please go over the proper radio check procedure if leaving out of St. Aug. What do you call yourself if your boat has no name. Just want to make sure I’m doing it correct and not clogging the airwaves with unnecessary info. 
    First DO NOT use Ch16 for a radio check, Use Ch 09
      Call "radio check" three times, followed by your boat name and location If you don't have a boat name you can use your FL numbers if you want. Wait for a reply to let you know that someone has heard you.
  • Tony RomaTony Roma Posts: 910 Officer
    Thank you, any advice on contacting towboat or seatow when out of cell range
    Tony Roma said:
    Thank you, any advice on contacting towboat or seatow when out of cell range
    Your VHF will call at a longer distance than your cell will.
    If you are in trouble then you can call the CG (they will probably ask you to switch to another channel)  and they will relay your information to a towing company.
  • Tony RomaTony Roma Posts: 910 Officer
    Thank you, hope to never need it. 
  • RedactionRedaction Posts: 1,643 Captain
  • Drift TideDrift Tide Posts: 183 Deckhand
    Use the automated radio check system by Sea Tow.  Is channel 27 in Mayport, I think 26 in St Aug.  Just key the microphone, say "This is (boat name) requesting a radio check please" and in a few seconds the automated system will replay your transmission followed by a short advertisement for Sea Tow.  The replay of your transmission is nice because you get to hear how your radio sounds regarding signal strength, clarity, static, etc.
  • seapro15seapro15 Posts: 217 Deckhand
    Unfortunately I've had to hail Seatow from 40 miles out. The coast guard switched me over to another channel and relayed my position to Seatow and got them coming.  Another fisherman heard me on the radio and came over to make sure we were alright which was very reassuring.  
    Make sure you get a radio check every trip. You never know when you'll need help or can help someone else.  
    Most people get on ch72 and just say "can I get a radio check?" 
    The Ortega River Bridge is vhf channel 9 and I just give them my boat name and request an opening. If you need the railroad bridge raised you sometimes have to throw something at the window to wake him up. 
  • Sea-SquatchSea-Squatch Posts: 1,942 Captain
    Tony Roma said:
    weather is getting nice and I would like to make sure I’m being as safe as possible, can somebody please go over the proper radio check procedure if leaving out of St. Aug. What do you call yourself if your boat has no name. Just want to make sure I’m doing it correct and not clogging the airwaves with unnecessary info. 
      Call "radio check" three times, followed by your boat name and location If you don't have a boat name you can use your FL numbers if you want. Wait for a reply to let you know that someone has heard you.

I tried Ch9 multiple times the other day, and got no reply. Tried ch16, and had 3 replies instantly. I also tried ch6, ch68, and ch72 w/ no replies. 

I'm going to try that ch27 next time...

Tony Roma said:

I tried Ch9 multiple times the other day, and got no reply. Tried ch16, and had 3 replies instantly. I also tried ch6, ch68, and ch72 w/ no replies. 

CG gets grumpy when you use 16 for chit chat.
  • ChonggChongg Posts: 755 Officer
    Tony Roma said:

Try 8 if you're inshore/nearshore
  • PangamanPangaman Posts: 893 Officer
    Sea tow discontinued their automated service on 27. Call on 16 or you wont get a response. If your out fishing offshore, ask on channel 72. If your boat doesn't have a name just say "looking for a radio check".
    edited April 9 #15
    Florida uses CH9 For Bridge traffic.

U.S. VHF CHANNEL INFORMATION

Boaters should normally use channels listed as Non-Commercial. Channel 16 is used for calling other stations or for distress alerting. Channel 13 should be used to contact a ship when there is danger of collision. All ships of length 20m or greater are required to guard VHF channel 13, in addition to VHF channel 16, when operating within U.S. territorial waters. Users may be fined by the FCC for improper use of these channels.