Home South General Fishing & The Outdoors

Catch mahi from pier?

Back around 1978 while fishing from Haulover Pier my brother and I each caught mahi within seconds of each other while casting jigs from the end of the "T".   I think one or two other guys caught one too.  They were both only about 3-4 lb. but it was first and only mahi we caught from pier.  I had seen few other caught from pier while growing up but it was very rare.
I was telling this story to a coworker and he didn't look like he believed me.
HAs anyone else caught or saw mahi caught from pier or shore?

Replies

• conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 8,846 Admiral
    I saw some peanuts in the surf before. Rare as you say but the ocean has no fences.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• FrydaddyFrydaddy Boynton BeachPosts: 642 Officer
    a year or 2 ago there was a big bull caught off lake worth pier I believe 
  • evernic1evernic1 NMBPosts: 381 Deckhand
    I saw a phin about 5lb caught off Lake Worth pier in late 60's...the Gulf Stream comes closer to shore there than anywhere else along Fla. coast...
    New to me 9-17-2020 2008 Donzi 38 ZSF 3 X 300 Verados
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 14,579 AG
    get an old penn senator and spool it with about 800yds of 15lb braid, and get one of those drones to fly your bait wayyy out.   I bet that would work at Deerfield pier 
    Yesterday's memories are not today's reality
  • 1FSM1FSM Posts: 141 Deckhand
    I was going to tell him about a sailfish I saw caught on Deerfield Beach pier but figured he wouldn't believe me.

• The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,546 Captain
    an underwater photog once took a clear in focus photo of a large wahoo
    swimming under the Blue Heron Bridge in the Intercoastal. near Riviera Beach.
    Giimoozaabi
    My pier fishing buddy 
    caught an 18” baby sailfish in the surf at Anglins pier Ft Lauderdale in 1970 or 71 can’t recall year. I had the newspaper photo and story until it was lost moving
  • tarponhuntertarponhunter Posts: 449 Deckhand
    Just about every year theres one or two sails caught off solo piers. Its usually deerfield or lakeworth but they've been caught off most I bet. Mahi I think are a bit more rare but it def happens. That one Frydaddy posted is huge for the pier!
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,160 Moderator
    Here's another lost fish, a sword caught in Florida Bay
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,247 Captain
    No need for a drone off the Lake Worth pier.  Just pick a day with a strong west or northwest breeze and balloon a live bait off the pier one or two hundred yards and keep a close eye on your rod...

I caught a 35lb African pompano there one year and also introduced a buddy to that pier in the spring... In a month he caught a 44lb king mackerel,  31lb jack crevalle, and a 44lb cobia there.  That was 1976 and just before I built
    a bonefish interior on a small aluminum hull and we began fishing south whenever we could... Thar Lake Worth pier was an amazing place years ago and I’ll bet it’s still
    producing....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    I walked out on Lake Worth pier one morning around 6:30, drove up from FLL. 1969 or 70,  there were 5 cobia laying on the T, all over 40#...a school swam by about 20 min earlier.
    my dad use to drop me and my friend off at lake worth pier on friday after school and pick us up sunday morning. we would have the coolers loaded by sunday morning. good times!!!!! 
    that was in the early 90s those days are long gone