Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Pompano Pier(how to-big fish)

greyreefsharkgreyreefshark Posts: 531 Officer
I fish a lot, but am totally new to pier fishing. I’ll be fishing Pompano Pier the next 2 weeks. But will also take a trip up to Stuart for a day or two.

If I were to hook into anything with size like a Tarpon, or blacktip sized Shark, what the heck do I do about getting it up the pier?

Replies

• bocapup1bocapup1 Posts: 1,288 Officer
    Drop net or bridge gaff!
    don't have either next option is try to hand line up.

• Aquaholic IVAquaholic IV Posts: 891 Officer
    bocapup1 said:
    Drop net or bridge gaff!
    don't have either next option is try to hand line up.

I agree with "bridge net" but don't gaff a Tarpon or other fish that you won't be eating.   The bridges in Stuart have Cat Walks for fishing and are lower to the water which makes it much easier to hand line a fish up and loads of fish are caught on them with the correct tide.  
  • baccaracbaccarac Posts: 139 Deckhand
    I’m on the pier in pompano at least once a week. 90% of the time there is somebody out there with a pier net.Unless the guy is a freak normally it’s customary to let others use your net. Back in the day every pier had its own giant pier net but of course overtime the scum balls would steal it and they stop doing that.If you’re going to go to Stuart you might as well go on up to Sebastian Inlet. By far the best place if you don’t know what you’re doing to hook something big.
  • greyreefsharkgreyreefshark Posts: 531 Officer
    Thanks for all your help guys!!! I did notice the people fishing the pier did have a drop net next to them.
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 2,765 Captain
    I did notice the people fishing the pier did have a drop net next to them.
    Did anyone have any luck fishing off the Pompano pier?  I often try to catch bait from my kayak early in the morning near that pier, and of the piers, I have fished for bait at, It seems to be the least productive.  How was the fishing?
  • bcontentobcontento Posts: 124 Deckhand
    Did anyone have any luck fishing off the Pompano pier?  I often try to catch bait from my kayak early in the morning near that pier, and of the piers, I have fished for bait at, It seems to be the least productive.  How was the fishing?
    We've been out there the last couple of wednesday evenings. Two weeks ago, mackerel and bluefish bite was pretty good (and a porgy). Last week, the pompano bite was on fire from about 6:30 to dark. Had to be at least 10 on the deck (and not small ones). Most on sand fleas and a couple on live shrimp. All caught on the south side of the pier right around the first marker.

Bait out there has been very scarce.

• John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 2,765 Captain
    bcontento said:
    We've been out there the last couple of wednesday evenings. Two weeks ago, mackerel and bluefish bite was pretty good (and a porgy). Last week, the pompano bite was on fire from about 6:30 to dark. Had to be at least 10 on the deck (and not small ones). Most on sand fleas and a couple on live shrimp. All caught on the south side of the pier right around the first marker.

Bait out there has been very scarce.

Awesome, thanks for the report.