Skip to main content
Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

tarpon on gthe move

Just saw my first tarpon up in Naples area , They are on the migration move  now.  Water temps mid 70's. Always exciting  to see even if getting one to eat is an issue.

Replies

• bocapup1bocapup1 Posts: 1,502 Captain
    In Deerfield beach pier I saw big pods moving fast in the trough last 2 days!

• John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 4,137 Captain
    I saw a bunch of them off Dania beach last time out.
  • MulletMaster239MulletMaster239 Southwest FloridaPosts: 873 Officer
    edited April 2021 #4
    I am 0 for the last 16 the past week by far the worst run I’ve ever had, don’t think I’ve ever gone more than 4 maybe 5 tops without landing one but after the 15th consecutive failure earlier today, snapped the rod over my knee and tossed the combo in the canal, same thing after the 16th, except I threw it a lil further out into the canal.  Never was much for yelling and cussing so that’s my outlet.  

I need a new hobby, been doing this a very long time and this is about the only thing I’ve ever done where I actually get worse at over time. Think I will take up bass fishing or maybe bowling or something.  
  • Mr, GooganMr, Googan Posts: 82 Deckhand
    Mullet, if it was too easy you'd quit and move on to something else.  I'm thinking 17 is your lucky number.
  • finbullyfinbully Posts: 895 Officer
    edited April 2021 #6
    I am 0 for the last 16 the past week by far the worst run I’ve ever had, don’t think I’ve ever gone more than 4 maybe 5 tops without landing one but after the 15th consecutive failure earlier today, snapped the rod over my knee and tossed the combo in the canal, same thing after the 16th, except I threw it a lil further out into the canal.  Never was much for yelling and cussing so that’s my outlet.  

I need a new hobby, been doing this a very long time and this is about the only thing I’ve ever done where I actually get worse at over time. Think I will take up bass fishing or maybe bowling or something.  
    Golfing has the same effect on some (the snapping part).  :D
  • polliwogpolliwog Posts: 355 Deckhand
    Just think now you have an excuse to buy a couple of new rods. Tackle stores are happy.  I have the same trouble fishing docks for big snook,it can drive you crazy,but that's the challenge. LOL
    edited April 2021 #8
    Mullet, if it was too easy you'd quit and move on to something else.  I'm thinking 17 is your lucky number.
    Nah the 17th came off and it was a giant river tarpon.  Although not near as frustrating because at that spot there’s long boat lifts sticking out everywhere and crab traps further down, plus mangrove roots loaded with barnacles they will sometimes run for.  Tough to land them at that particular place from shore regardless.  It opened the hook up and I was pleased with that outcome, beats getting cut off on the hazards and you can only use so stout a hook before it can cost you more hookups anyway.

That is true though if it was easy I wouldn’t go as much.  
    edited April 2021 #9
    polliwog said:
    Just think now you have an excuse to buy a couple of new rods. Tackle stores are happy.  I have the same trouble fishing docks for big snook,it can drive you crazy,but that's the challenge. LOL
    Nah I’m pretty cheap, I snagged the rods back the next day and fixed them with an old trick I learned from Roland Martin when I was a kid.  Just need the right size nail and some epoxy.

The big snook near structures can be aggravating as well Like you say. There’s this one place I fish for them with large dead baits last couple hours before sundown they move through that area and they seem to prefer to just scoop up a dead bait there on the way to the night time feeding areas.  They’ll pick up the bait, do a donut around these big rocks nearby then swim in towards the sea wall.  You’ll be sitting there and suddenly see a big snook go by, thinking man that’s a nice solid fish!  Then as it heads for the nearby dock your clicker goes off and you notice the snook has your leader trailing from it.