Home General Paddle Craft

Humbling morning

cranker789cranker789 MiamiPosts: 403 Deckhand
Was all set to go out to Dania this morning. Got the dog into the dog sitter overnight, got up basically the middle of the night and seas were supposed to be 2 ft. Checked in the morning and they had gone up to 2-3 occasional 4. Decided i would go anyway since i had everything prepared. Got to the beach and the surf was rough. I've never flipped the yak before and thought id be ok once i got through the surf. Paid for parking until 1 pm and set out. Had my first roll over in the surf! Sure was humbling. Good thing for a guy camping on the beach to help me collect my stuff or id be screwed. Ended up only losing one carabineer and snapping a pad eye. Thought about hanging around to see if it would calm down but ended up going home wet and sandy. Moral of the story, if it looks too rough, it is too rough. Also, pull your rudder line down before jumping into the kayak. And learn to pay for parking by phone! Anyone know what time does it let you start to pay by phone? I couldn't get it to work in the early morning but when i got home i tried on their passport app and it looked to be working.

Replies

• John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 3,367 Captain
    Sorry to hear about your mishap.  Just looking at windfinder, I would not have considered fishing the 26th on account of the wind.  Windfinder wave forecasts are typically bigger than in reality.  But is always good to check a beach webcam.
    https://daniabeachfl.gov/1640/BeachPier-WebCam

If the wind is out of the west, the conditions will look calmer, but as one gets farther offshore, the lee of the land is cleared and the wind is usually stronger.  Winds out of the west are especially dangerous because if one's propulsion fails, the wind will blow one out to sea.

Always take a walk around the kayak prior to launching.....look for holes or cracks in the kayak(never know if someone or something accidentally punctured one's kayak), ensure the rudder dropped down(sometimes when release, it does not drop down), and double-check the scupper plug( I always put my hand on it and confirm it is tight and not cross-threaded).

I think the parking meter starts working on the app at 6 am, but don't quote me on that as I never pay to park in Dania. 
    I normally won't consider going out anytime the wind is over predominately 10mph.  As of now, it looks like next Monday is the next good weather day of offshore kayak fishing.
    Better luck next time, Cheers
  • Kayak_PeteKayak_Pete Posts: 184 Deckhand
    Thanks for sharing that.  If it's any consolation, you've probably just saved a dozen guys from having an equal or worse adventure.
    2014 Hobie Sport
  • cranker789cranker789 MiamiPosts: 403 Deckhand
    Thanks for the info John, the webcam is a good resource. ill keep an eye on windfinder as well as noaa too. 

Yes I hope that doesn't happen to others but even if someone had told me not to go i would have anyway. For some of us it takes a bad experience to learn lol. If its too rough, from now on im gonna pack it up and turn around. Disappointing but better than getting your kayak flipped.
    edited March 27 #5
    Thanks for the info John, the webcam is a good resource. ill keep an eye on windfinder as well as noaa too. 

Yes I hope that doesn't happen to others but even if someone had told me not to go i would have anyway. For some of us it takes a bad experience to learn lol. If its too rough, from now on im gonna pack it up and turn around. Disappointing but better than getting your kayak flipped.
    I always look at the Windfinder Super forecast data, it can often be very different from the normal daily forecast.  The Super forecast is free on the computer but costs extra if accessed from a phone.  It's worth having, and sometimes if the weather is different from what was expected, it is worth checking while out on the water. 

A flip is never fun, even if you get all your gear back.  It can easily take half a day to clean the sand out of your reels after a flip.... been there done that.  Even when the waves are not bad, it is always good to be prepared for a flip. Sooner or later, a rogue wave is going to hit.  The last time I flipped was on a calm day when I was not paying attention to details.  Always pull the mirage drive prior to entering the surf zone. It can hold the bow down making it easier to broach.  It is much harder for a kayak to broach after the mirage drive is pulled.  It is good to use a paddle, but mine is normally stored. I pedal fast and then pull my leashed mirage out prior to entering the surf.  I let the surf push the kayak inward until it is safe to stand. Once shallow enough to stand, get out and quickly pull the kayak the remaining distance clear of the Surfline.  I have seen a few kayaks get flipped in a couple of feet of water due to lack of attendance. 
  • Kayak_PeteKayak_Pete Posts: 184 Deckhand
    I put a padeye near the mirage and leash it.  Unfortunately last time I had an unpleasant surf experience I had forgotten the leash and had to jump in to retrieve the drive, which also triggered my inflatable PFD.  Great entertainment for the people on the beach.
    2014 Hobie Sport
    I put a padeye near the mirage and leash it.  Unfortunately last time I had an unpleasant surf experience I had forgotten the leash and had to jump in to retrieve the drive, which also triggered my inflatable PFD.  Great entertainment for the people on the beach.
    That is the main reasons I don't use a self-inflating lifejacket.  I hate it when beachgoers are videotaping the landing in hopes of posting a viral video.