Home Sportsman's Kitchen

Favorite fish to eat?

Nsmith2015Nsmith2015 Ocala Posts: 21 Deckhand
What is everybody’s favorite fish from Florida? Whether it be fresh water or salt water. 
«1

Replies

  • altuckaltuck TallahasseePosts: 728 Officer
    Fresh water hard to beat a mess of fried bream,

    Saltwater, probably eat mullet more than anything else, but love some triggerfish when you can find them. 
  • catchemupcatchemup Posts: 463 Deckhand
    wahoo, yellowfin grouper, yellowtail
  • christopher15christopher15 TexasPosts: 16 Deckhand
    I love triggerfish
  • tankeredtankered Gainesvill, FlPosts: 1,195 Officer
    Freshwater...speckled perch, hands down. Bass and bream out of clean water ain't bad either.

    Saltwater...pompano and tripletail are in a class by themselves, but there are far to many runners-up to mention. I really like most fish...except mullet. That's bait, you can have that crap. And I even like bonito!
  • gogittumgogittum SW New MexicoPosts: 2,477 Captain
    Except for Trout and a small number of Bluegill and Bass, my experience with freshwater fish is limited, but tho' Trout is good, all seemed to be quite bland to me.

    Saltwater, esp. bottom fish, seem much richer in flavor.  (I'm nuts for Halibut, but they're few and far between)  Salmon are a whole different thing and unique.  I finally got tired of eating Salmon, even smoked.  For all of them, I can't stand a fishy flavor.....gotta be mild.

    For Ling Cod, I liked to put a cup of half cooked wild rice on a sheet of heavy aluminum foil, then lay a fillet on top of it.  Top with paper thin slices of tomato and lemon, season, and fold into a packet.  Forget for sure, it's been a lot of years - but think it was ~350 degrees for 20 minutes.

    When you - carefully - open the packet the fragrance is wonderful.  Juice from the fish and toppings soaks down into the rice and it makes a great meal.
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,731 AG
    Freshwater= Bluegills
    Saltwater- Mutton Snapper
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,731 AG
    edited April 11 #8
    gogittum said:
    Except for Trout and a small number of Bluegill and Bass, my experience with freshwater fish is limited, but tho' Trout is good, all seemed to be quite bland to me.

    Saltwater, esp. bottom fish, seem much richer in flavor.  (I'm nuts for Halibut, but they're few and far between)  Salmon are a whole different thing and unique.  I finally got tired of eating Salmon, even smoked.  For all of them, I can't stand a fishy flavor.....gotta be mild.

    For Ling Cod, I liked to put a cup of half cooked wild rice on a sheet of heavy aluminum foil, then lay a fillet on top of it.  Top with paper thin slices of tomato and lemon, season, and fold into a packet.  Forget for sure, it's been a lot of years - but think it was ~350 degrees for 20 minutes.

    When you - carefully - open the packet the fragrance is wonderful.  Juice from the fish and toppings soaks down into the rice and it makes a great meal.

    We have Ling Cod and Salmon in Florida ??!?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • GeneakersGeneakers West Palm BeachPosts: 285 Deckhand
    Ling cod is excellent.. "poor man's lobster",,, used to catch and spear alot of them when I lived in WA state.  Bake that bad boy with some garlic and butter, sprinkle with some paprika and dunk in drawn butter... making my mouth water as I type and remember.. would eat it till I almost got sick.
  • smooth movesmooth move Posts: 530 Officer
    freshwater----walleye
    saltwater------red snapper
    le se' bon ton roulet
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,731 AG
    Geneakers said:
    Ling cod is excellent.. "poor man's lobster",,, used to catch and spear alot of them when I lived in WA state.  Bake that bad boy with some garlic and butter, sprinkle with some paprika and dunk in drawn butter... making my mouth water as I type and remember.. would eat it till I almost got sick.

    It is, just not a Florida fish as the original poster wanted. I would have said Salmon if west cost was allowed

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • Sixth GenerationSixth Generation Posts: 910 Officer
    Snook, deep fried.  The halibut momma fixed last night from Costco was like butter though.  I was impressed and usually do not like store bought.
  • Terry RavenscraftTerry Ravenscraft Posts: 272 Deckhand
    Red snapper / scamp / triple tail / flounder / dolphin ...in that order
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 16,284 AG
    for fried fish halibut/haddock if it's a norther fish fry style.   

    For blackened fish sandwich Grouper

    For blackened fish tacos Mangrove snapper

    For dinner with a nice red wine risotto and a Pinot Noir blackened salmon

    for fish nuggets dredged in house Autry seafood breader and fried up same day bonnethead shark.   

    Really depends on what i'm in the mood for. 
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
  • 1FSM1FSM Posts: 147 Deckhand
    Saltwater fish:
    Lookdown
    Pompano
    Snook
    In this order.

    Freshwater fish:
    Crappie
    Bluegill
    Flathead (when cleaned and prepped correctly)


  • GeneakersGeneakers West Palm BeachPosts: 285 Deckhand
    Flash said:
    Geneakers said:
    Ling cod is excellent.. "poor man's lobster",,, used to catch and spear alot of them when I lived in WA state.  Bake that bad boy with some garlic and butter, sprinkle with some paprika and dunk in drawn butter... making my mouth water as I type and remember.. would eat it till I almost got sick.

    It is, just not a Florida fish as the original poster wanted. I would have said Salmon if west cost was allowed

    My apologies...  lol
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,340 Moderator
    Freshwater - Crappie
    Saltwater - Hogfish, wahoo
  • lakemanlakeman Posts: 818 Officer
    Maybe i'm different, but never met a salt water fish I did not like, yes some are better that others even saltwater cat fish.  Fresh water in Florida Specs and bass from the colder season.

  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 16,284 AG
    lakeman said:
    Maybe i'm different, but never met a salt water fish I did not like, yes some are better that others even saltwater cat fish.  Fresh water in Florida Specs and bass from the colder season.

    a few years ago my son caught a sailcat down in Marathon and it was a nice size, maybe 4 pounds, begged me to keep it so i did and told him he had to eat it.  Man we fried that thing up with some good breading and it was delicious!  slimy in the cooler but i don't think we'll throw eating size sailcats back ever again. 
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
  • smooth movesmooth move Posts: 530 Officer
    lakeman said:
    Maybe i'm different, but never met a salt water fish I did not like, yes some are better that others even saltwater cat fish.  Fresh water in Florida Specs and bass from the colder season.

    a few years ago my son caught a sailcat down in Marathon and it was a nice size, maybe 4 pounds, begged me to keep it so i did and told him he had to eat it.  Man we fried that thing up with some good breading and it was delicious!  slimy in the cooler but i don't think we'll throw eating size sailcats back ever again. 

    lakeman said:
    Maybe i'm different, but never met a salt water fish I did not like, yes some are better that others even saltwater cat fish.  Fresh water in Florida Specs and bass from the colder season.

    a few years ago my son caught a sailcat down in Marathon and it was a nice size, maybe 4 pounds, begged me to keep it so i did and told him he had to eat it.  Man we fried that thing up with some good breading and it was delicious!  slimy in the cooler but i don't think we'll throw eating size sailcats back ever again. 
    that's the only way i've ever found to eat them. smoked some a few years ago and gave a filet to the dog and she threw it up. we keep a few every spring when we're catching big one's and fry em pretty crisp.

    le se' bon ton roulet
  • tankeredtankered Gainesvill, FlPosts: 1,195 Officer
    I've tried sailcats twice.

    First time was OK second it was not good at all. Very muddy taste. 

    Probably won't do it again, unless I'm starving. 
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 10,787 AG
    I like so many types of fish that is hard to find a favorite  as long as it’s fresh. Having said that, I love snowy grouper in the 5 to 15 pound range

    “Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

  • aboveboredabovebored Posts: 1,338 Officer
  • GeneakersGeneakers West Palm BeachPosts: 285 Deckhand
    edited April 15 #24
    Barrel Fish is also good (altho they will slime everything up so clean em last)..  I also really enjoy Black Belly Rosies... both have a different texture of meat
  • smooth movesmooth move Posts: 530 Officer
    Geneakers said:
    Barrel Fish is also good (altho they will slime everything up so clean em last)..  I also really enjoy Black Belly Rosies... both have a different texture of meat

    Geneakers said:
    Barrel Fish is also good (altho they will slime everything up so clean em last)..  I also really enjoy Black Belly Rosies... both have a different texture of meat

    only had barrel fish once and was tired and in a hurry so i fried it. sure like to try some grilled. it was outstanding.
    le se' bon ton roulet
  • bigfinn35bigfinn35 Sarasota/VenicePosts: 987 Officer
    edited April 19 #26
    Shocked that no one's mentioned hogfish yet-- they're by far my favorite in FL. Fried, sauteed, grilled, poached, baked, however you want it. Slightly sweet and super flakey, I'm in the mood to go buy some right now.

    Runners up are sheepshead, scamp, yellowtail, and fresh spanish mackerel. Probably ate 12 of them in the last month and a half, mostly raw.

    For some offbeat picks, if you ever get a giant pinfish or mojarra (especially mojarra), try frying 'em whole after removing the guts, gills, and spines. Ridiculously good.
    Paddle faster, I hear banjo music.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 16,284 AG
    i have never caught hogfish and been able to eat it fresh. I have had it once in the keys from a restaurant and it was fantastic.  
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
  • tankeredtankered Gainesvill, FlPosts: 1,195 Officer
    Good to hear someone specifically mention spanish mackerel, criminally underrated IMO.

    And so versatile, great from raw to smoked and everything in between. 
  • bigfinn35bigfinn35 Sarasota/VenicePosts: 987 Officer
    edited April 20 #29
    tankered said:
    Good to hear someone specifically mention spanish mackerel, criminally underrated IMO.

    And so versatile, great from raw to smoked and everything in between. 
    For sure. So much flavor compared to the pure white meat fish from all the oil. Long as you cook or eat 'em within a day or two they're hard to beat, easy to clean, and easy to catch a boatload of when they're running. Must have had fresh mackerel poke 15 times last month.
    Paddle faster, I hear banjo music.
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,731 AG
    lakeman said:
    Maybe i'm different, but never met a salt water fish I did not like, yes some are better that others even saltwater cat fish.  Fresh water in Florida Specs and bass from the colder season.

    a few years ago my son caught a sailcat down in Marathon and it was a nice size, maybe 4 pounds, begged me to keep it so i did and told him he had to eat it.  Man we fried that thing up with some good breading and it was delicious!  slimy in the cooler but i don't think we'll throw eating size sailcats back ever again. 

     Agree. Just make sure you are never finned by one. If you are, rub some of there slime on the wound. They have saved a few poor fishing trips over the many years of fishing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,731 AG
    bigfinn35 said:
    tankered said:
    Good to hear someone specifically mention spanish mackerel, criminally underrated IMO.

    And so versatile, great from raw to smoked and everything in between. 
    For sure. So much flavor compared to the pure white meat fish from all the oil. Long as you cook or eat 'em within a day or two they're hard to beat, easy to clean, and easy to catch a boatload of when they're running. Must have had fresh mackerel poke 15 times last month.

     Agree with this also. If fact one day I fried up some Macs and Seatrout in different pans, using the same spices and such. The macs were fresh and you know, no one could tell which was which. Very surprising.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Digital Now Included!

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

Preview This Month's Issue

Buy Digital Single Issues

Don't miss an issue.
Buy single digital issue for your phone or tablet.

Buy Single Digital Issue on the Florida Sportsman App

Other Magazines

See All Other Magazines

Special Interest Magazines

See All Special Interest Magazines

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Florida Sportsman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement

Phone Icon

Get Digital Access.

All Florida Sportsman subscribers now have digital access to their magazine content. This means you have the option to read your magazine on most popular phones and tablets.

To get started, click the link below to visit mymagnow.com and learn how to access your digital magazine.

Get Digital Access

Not a Subscriber?
Subscribe Now